Review: Canon EOS M50 by TDP

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Bryan over at The-Digital-Picture has completed his extensive review of the brand new Canon EOS M50 mirrorless camera.</p>
<p><strong>From The-Digital-Picture:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>While a complete beginner can use this camera to simply capture very high quality images, the advanced user who takes the time to learn this camera’s more advanced features can have great control over their imagery. And, with Canon’s entire EOS system accessories behind it, the M50’s capabilities are practically unlimited.</p>
<p>Whether it is tucked into a pocket, in a camera case for backup purposes or used as an always-in-hand primary camera, the Canon EOS M50 can always be there for you with professional-grade image quality. <a href="https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-M50.aspx">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p>The Canon EOS M50 looks to be a great option for an APS-C mirrorless camera from Canon, even if it didn’t hit the mark with a “real” 4K implementation.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Interesting - I've been more and more looking at Canon's crop mirrorless cameras with an EF-M to EF converter as an emergency backup to my 5D IV. After a few near tragedies last summer, I can't help but think a small/light/cheap secondary body may not be a bad idea for some of my camping trips. I shoot almost exclusively on tripod and really slowly, so I'm not too worried about the ergonomics/EVF performance, and I really don't want something bulky or heavy if I don't need it - I pack in way too much as it is!

Upvote 0
Devil007cz said:
YuengLinger said:
Do competitors' EVF's also blackout during use?
Sony A9 is blackout free.
Sony A6500 has minimal blackout comparable to OVF.

what lens(s) are you using with the a6500? Did you go native? I want an a6500 because it's a lot of bang for your buck (I'm a vlogger) but I love my Canon lenses. Note: af has to work for me, most important feature when shooting video.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
wazmunstr said:
Devil007cz said:
YuengLinger said:
Do competitors' EVF's also blackout during use?
Sony A9 is blackout free.
Sony A6500 has minimal blackout comparable to OVF.

what lens(s) are you using with the a6500? Did you go native? I want an a6500 because it's a lot of bang for your buck (I'm a vlogger) but I love my Canon lenses. Note: af has to work for me, most important feature when shooting video.

Yes, but the a6500 has a buffer that takes TWO MINUTES to clear. Zzzzzzzzzzz... No thanks!

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
Bobbo said:
TDP haven't reviewed the EF-M range so it's refreshing to see this one causing a stir.
The Spec looks good for the pricepoint which is a change for Canon. Pity the 6Dii wasn't priced appropriately

Bobbo,
The EF-M reviews aren’t shown on the main page menu, but they are there. Click “review” twice and a new page comes up with the reviews listed.

Upvote 0
ritholtz said:
is there any improvement in IQ between 80d, SL2 and M50. There is a jump from digic 6 to 8 between them.

Maybe it helps to compare the images provided by dpreview under the M50 review
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-m50/6
between these cameras.
WARNING: M series and SLR cameras maybe use different lenses! So the results are maybe not absolutely comparable.

What I see: No real difference at all and definitely NO JUMP.

Upvote 0
Need EOS-M primes besides the 22mm! There is a chorus of this out there; has been for quite a while.

I used my M5 with the adapter and EF lenses for most of 2017 while waiting for some non-consumer-zoom lenses. I figured the release of the M5 signaled Canon was finally getting serious about EOS-M. Not.

The adapter works well, and I used the 24mm and 35mm IS EF lenses a lot. The images are great, but after a year I got really tired of a comparatively big honking lens on the small body. For me, it totally defeated the point of mirrorless giving good image quality while being small and light. I have since sold my entire EF system, since that was the only use I was making of it any more. (After using APS-C mirrorless, the 6D and 24-70 f/2.8 felt like carrying an anvil around.)

The 11-22 is a good lens, but slow in order to stay small. I am waiting for the rumored 35mm prime. A little doubtful about it, though, given the recent interviews with Canon brass at CP+ where they say mirrorless is the new entry-level APS-C even if it cannibalizes the cheap DSLRs.

Oh well. I have a Fuji X-T20 and Fuji has just about whatever lens you want other than long primes. I much prefer using the Canon M5 body, but Fuji just updated the X-T20 firmware, which can't hurt. So I will go use that with three Fuji primes while I watch to see what becomes of EOS-M.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
bdbender4 said:
Need EOS-M primes besides the 22mm!

EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM.

bdbender4 said:
I used my M5 with the adapter and EF lenses for most of 2017 while waiting for some non-consumer-zoom lenses. I figured the release of the M5 signaled Canon was finally getting serious about EOS-M. Not.

The EOS M series is fundamentally a consumer line.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
bdbender4 said:
Need EOS-M primes besides the 22mm! There is a chorus of this out there; has been for quite a while.

The adapter works well, and I used the 24mm and 35mm IS EF lenses a lot. The images are great, but after a year I got really tired of a comparatively big honking lens on the small body. For me, it totally defeated the point of mirrorless giving good image quality while being small and light. I have since sold my entire EF system, since that was the only use I was making of it any more. (After using APS-C mirrorless, the 6D and 24-70 f/2.8 felt like carrying an anvil around.)

The 11-22 is a good lens, but slow in order to stay small. I am waiting for the rumored 35mm prime. A little doubtful about it, though, given the recent interviews with Canon brass at CP+ where they say mirrorless is the new entry-level APS-C even if it cannibalizes the cheap DSLRs.

Oh well. I have a Fuji X-T20 and Fuji has just about whatever lens you want other than long primes. I much prefer using the Canon M5 body, but Fuji just updated the X-T20 firmware, which can't hurt. So I will go use that with three Fuji primes while I watch to see what becomes of EOS-M.

If by taking EF-M seriously you mean making EF-M lenses that duplicate EF and EF-S lenses, I don't think Canon is going to go down that road very far. It does seem like an EF-M 35mm is on the way, but I don't expect much more.

Upvote 0