The Canon EOS M50 Mark II has been partially discontinued in Japan

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Used market is usually the place to go, no matter where you are. Almost all these cameras are way overbuilt for how people use them, so chances of getting a good condition body are high. I might pick up an m6ii or m50ii used with a couple lenses for my next abroad trip. Was looking at a small Fuji, Olympus or Panasonic model, but prices on even 8 year old models are still so high, and there's a lot to like about small Canon cameras.

The only reason I never bought into M was lack of IBIS. Of all the technologies to introduce in a consumer-level body, IBIS is by far the most needed and useful. Pros know how to get sharp photos. Amateurs struggle with blurry pics and give up in frustration, using their iphone instead. IBIS should be a standard feature. No one in sub-$1k category cares about new sensors. Just reuse the 80D sensor forever, it's fine! Spend the money on computation and IBIS.
I was about to argue that most EF-M lenses have IS, but I used an R7 last week and that has an 'auto-level horizon' feature that uses IBIS. That improved my pictures a lot, since I was on a very flat island in a big lake :)

My M6II already has a software auto-level for video, it would be nice if something similar would come to stills as well, it could be an extra metadata field for RAWs.

Upvote 0
I tend to agree. I bought the M6 II with the external viewfinder, put it on, and basically left it in place. I actually prefer it. And of course if I ever have to pack the camera in a tight space and that viewfinder sticks up too much, I can remove it.

What was irritating to me was the camera came by itself, or as a kit with the viewfinder and one or the other of two lenses I either already had or just wasn't interested in. No option to buy camera and viewfinder. Not only was I irked, but also the owner of the store who sold it to me, who went to some sort of event put on by Canon to explain their plans for the camera, and he challenged them on that very point, and they basically blew him off.

Canon hates it when people resell their kit lenses--to the point now where kits often don't save any money--but in this case they gave me no alternative. I would have happily bought a kit without the part I didn't want and not sold it...but they didn't even give me that option so tough sh*t, Canon.
My M6 II EVF stays on unless I'm transporting it. It's easy to pop it off and drop the camera and a couple of lenses into a tiny sling bag but once I'm taking photos the EVF goes back on and I don't take it off. I kind of wish someone would have reverse engineered the hot shoe and made a 3rd party, higher resolution and larger EVF with an eye cup. I spend most of my time using my hand to cup the EVF to keep light out so I can see.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Does this officially mean that EF-M is dead? Probably. This also means that stock on the M50 II is within sellable numbers and the R100 is close to being released. How excited are we to go to a Camera that essentially uses lenses the size of EF adapted ones? Not at all. Even if they get the R100 body as small as an M6 II the lenses (even EF-S) are much larger. I'll keep using my EF-M stuff until it finally dies (and my G5X II for travel) and at that point the industry will have changed anyway. I'd actually rather have an update to the G5X II over an update to EF-M because I use it every day. Better EVF, DPAF, faster lens, EVF sensor actually where my face is etc...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My M6II already has a software auto-level for video, it would be nice if something similar would come to stills as well, it could be an extra metadata field for RAWs.
Doesn't the m50ii have a digital ibis for stills? Or video only? Thought I saw that somewhere recently. Anyway, there's no question, any ibis is better than no ibis, especially for amateurs and travel photography, where you may be in low light situations but on the move and don't wanna be working on your shots and chimping. Personally, I've never found lens IS super effective for stills, but I'm using older EF-S IS lenses, with likely lower (2-3?) stops of compensation. Oddly, the best IS lens I've got is probably the 18-135 nano USM, but I only use it for video lol. It gets so slow, though, maybe it wouldn't matter much for darker settings compared to a 1.8 prime. When we're talking 6 stops of on-sensor IBIS, with up to 8 stops with lens IS, like on some of the Nikon and Olympus cameras... My goodness. Imagine handholding a one second exposure like it was nothing. That's how it should be in consumer grade cameras, IMO. IBIS should not be exclusive to super users. Stop punishing entry level users with learning curves. Just give them a good end use experience, and save money elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Used market is usually the place to go, no matter where you are. Almost all these cameras are way overbuilt for how people use them, so chances of getting a good condition body are high. I might pick up an m6ii or m50ii used with a couple lenses for my next abroad trip. Was looking at a small Fuji, Olympus or Panasonic model, but prices on even 8 year old models are still so high, and there's a lot to like about small Canon cameras.

The only reason I never bought into M was lack of IBIS. Of all the technologies to introduce in a consumer-level body, IBIS is by far the most needed and useful. Pros know how to get sharp photos. Amateurs struggle with blurry pics and give up in frustration, using their iphone instead. IBIS should be a standard feature. No one in sub-$1k category cares about new sensors. Just reuse the 80D sensor forever, it's fine! Spend the money on computation and IBIS.
There are dozens of YT channel creator help videos targeting newbies for the M50, many are well done. Except now if they do discontinue the line completely, and anyone buys it now, they should be warned. I agree all the sensor comparison nonsense isn't for the under $1k buyers. The weather sealing is another consideration, so M50 isn't for all. GoPros address the stabilization issue for many. The M50 is such a cool camera, really might also buy the M62.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
There are dozens of YT channel creator help videos targeting newbies for the M50, many are well done. Except now if they do discontinue the line completely, and anyone buys it now, they should be warned. I agree all the sensor comparison nonsense isn't for the under $1k buyers. The weather sealing is another consideration, so M50 isn't for all. GoPros address the stabilization issue for many. The M50 is such a cool camera, really might also buy the M62.
I can't recomend the M6-II strongly enough.
And as long as we're mentioning cameras whose name doesn't begin with C, I have an Olympus Tough on my not-urgent-but-nice-to-have list for the rare cases I might want to do something underwater.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
I can't recomend the M6-II strongly enough.
And as long as we're mentioning cameras whose name doesn't begin with C, I have an Olympus Tough on my not-urgent-but-nice-to-have list for the rare cases I might want to do something underwater.
Is it much better than the M50ii? I didn't like the non articulated screen but I wanted to get it anyway, but no more stock locally.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Is it much better than the M50ii? I didn't like the non articulated screen but I wanted to get it anyway, but no more stock locally.

I held out, hoping for an M5 mark II that would (probably) have had the articulating screen, then finally gave up and bought the M6-II. Good thing I did, because the M5-I| is a unicorn.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Wow that's quick. I thought Canon would keep selling the M series for a little longer. Mainly because the RF-S lineup is a bad joke. The 18-45 kit is just ridiculous.
2015 I believe was the first M model I think. All the hype over the R10 didn't bring with it APSC lens, it makes no sense to have $996 body and few AF FF Primes those $2000+ lens. I hope they address this RF-S issue and not continue to push for more models without it.

I went over all my project receipts for M50's and Sony A6400 and all lenses and all misc stuff like cables, extra batteries, lens filters, capture device, memory cards, tripods, etc was somewhat shocked I have now gotten ~$7k total in both systems- most since April. 20% of that was markup for shipping, customs, import taxes added in by local distributors. Most if it was offered at online US prices. I don't know which additional lenses I will buy, before they stop making them. Both are certainly is cheaper than FF. BH only has the M6ii with kit lens, now all body only are gone.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
2015 I believe was the first M model I think.[..]
The original M was introduced in 2012 for around €800, I got it in 2013 after Canon heavily discounted it to €250 and released a firmware with much improved AF. That was a few weeks before our honeymoon, the M+22mm was used a lot more than the 7D on that trip.

The downside of the small size is that it will also fit in a large coffee cup. The Dubai subway has a 'no food or drink visible' policy, so I stupidly put the cup in my bag. That was right before the flight back and travel insurance reimbursed enough to get a replacement body :)

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
The original M was introduced in 2012 for around €800, I got it in 2013 after Canon heavily discounted it to €250 and released a firmware with much improved AF. That was a few weeks before our honeymoon, the M+22mm was used a lot more than the 7D on that trip.

The downside of the small size is that it will also fit in a large coffee cup. The Dubai subway has a 'no food or drink visible' policy, so I stupidly put the cup in my bag. That was right before the flight back and travel insurance reimbursed enough to get a replacement body :)
Small cameras sure are great though. My SD750 is all scratched from keys in my pocket after all the years of usage, now 15 years I guess and one of two batteries hold a charge for quite awhile. Lower res videos though.

I had that happen too, travelling to EU and was in an international transfer lounge at the airport and bought a new "duty free" Samsung Tablet for $300. I opened it, started to play around with it, set it up and then walked away and my girlfriend started to play with it, she knew I wouldn't like that so opened a fast food bag and drank half the coca cola without closing the plastic lid. Then placed the tablet in it. We needed to move to our gate so I grabbed the bag and carried it off to the boarding gate not knowing this was inside. Noticed dripping from bag, sat down and opened the bag to discover the new tablet was covered from leaking soft drink into the edges enough to damage it. Wouldn't turn on or boot, removed that huge battery and the mess it was everywhere. So, in haste and really upset about the loss, threw it in the trash with disgust.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Big mount + No good lenses + needs small svelte body to replace the former.
= good luck. And no ibis is practically guaranteed.

I feel like they will do SOMETHING interesting with it - however there's a much larger chance its gonna be as barebones as all get out. We Will see.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Wow that's quick. I thought Canon would keep selling the M series for a little longer. Mainly because the RF-S lineup is a bad joke. The 18-45 kit is just ridiculous.

The body only option is the only SKU that was discontinued. You can still get it with kit lens in most market areas.

Was it because they're trying to sell existing inventory first? Or could it be because everyone who bought the M50 Mark II was buying it with the kit lens? Why tie up more in inventory and the expense of maintaining two SKUs when only one of them is moving?

This reminds me of all the hand wringing in 2016 when Canon discontinued the body only SKU of the 7D Mark II. They had replaced it with a Body + WE-1 wifi card SKU that they continued to sell at the same price for another five years.

Upvote 0