Canon EOS-M has been quietly discontinued

Jul 21, 2010
If you had carefully read what I wrote, you should know that I don't like or dislike anything regarding the M-system as I stated in the first place that I was never involved in that system.
Your argument "the EOS-M system has fallen out of the BCN ranking so the M-system deserved this" is a weak argument.
Lol, that’s ironic. You suggest I didn’t carefully read what you wrote then go on to claim I stated something I didn’t.

Deserved? Despite your protestation of no like or dislike, you make it sound like someone killed your cousin. It’s a business decision that Canon made about one of their own product lines. Period.

Also, you can make the opposite argument: the M-system fell out of the ranking because Canon did not release anything new. If they had, there may have been a "persistent demand" from customers.
Sure, you can make that argument. You can also make the argument that the Earth is flat. Neither are supported by the data. There has been nothing new released by Canon for the M system since the M50II came out three years ago (and that was the only new product since 2018), yet that camera was a consistent BCN top-10 best-seller until the R50 came out earlier this year. In other words, there was a persistent demand...until Canon released something else aimed at the same market. The M series didn't 'fall out' from inattention, it was pushed out. By Canon. On purpose.

C'mon, let's just face it: Canon has had the intention to scrap the EOS-M system for a while, maybe as soon as they started working on the RF mount. Are you really trying to make us believe that Canon has been a die-hard supporter of the EOS-M, but has just changed their mind?
Again, you need to read more carefully. I did not say that Canon had no long-term plan to scrap the M line. I simply said that when they stated (paraphrasing), 'we will continue the M line as long as demand for it remains strong', they were not being dishonest. They did just what they said. Did they set up the conditions under which the demand would be weakened, by reducing the current M lineup to a single body, the M50II, then releasing the R50 that is a very similar camera with better features? Yes, they did. But read what they said (not what you think they said, what they actually said), and explain how they were dishonest. That's rhetorical, they weren't.

In reality, this particular issue came about because you read something into Canon's statement that wasn't there. You assumed that 'we'll continue the M line as long as demand is strong' meant they would keep it going for several years. Now you're accusing them of lying (in legal terms, what you're doing is called libel) because what happened was not what you expected to happen.

I admire @Richard CR for posting something that he knew he was about to get roasted by some... but still did it.
There's no problem publishing an opinion piece. A good one should incite some controversy. That's one reason he's here (to quote him, "Craig allows me to write here and has encouraged me to share my opinions on all things Canon. As a matter of fact, he specifically told me to write about the not-so-good stuff." The 'not-so-good stuff' incites controversy, which means forum posts, which means clicks, which means revenue for CR. Pretty basic stuff.

In fact, I agree with many of his points. It should be noted that @Richard CR did not claim that Canon was dishonest in the article (though he seems to have echoed your claim in response to your post). He did not reference the DPR interview at all, from what I can tell. That was you.

My only disagreement with his article is that I really don't see the demise of the M system as a 'problem for Canon'. Could I be wrong, and Canon's decision to do so will hurt their sales? Possibly, but the evidence to date suggests that's not happening.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
First, it is your right to share a different opinion than mine, but less so to be cynical and condescendent. I've been a long time reader and that's not the first time I see you coming at people as if you were the one and only to have a valuable opinion here.

If you had carefully read what I wrote, you should know that I don't like or dislike anything regarding the M-system as I stated in the first place that I was never involved in that system.

Your argument "the EOS-M system has fallen out of the BCN ranking so the M-system deserved this" is a weak argument. Do you really assess the viability of a whole system over the last 6 months only? With that logic of yours, Apple should have ceased the development of any new Watch after the first one. Also, you can make the opposite argument: the M-system fell out of the ranking because Canon did not release anything new. If they had, there may have been a "persistent demand" from customers.

C'mon, let's just face it: Canon has had the intention to scrap the EOS-M system for a while, maybe as soon as they started working on the RF mount. Are you really trying to make us believe that Canon has been a die-hard supporter of the EOS-M, but has just changed their mind?

I admire @Richard CR for posting something that he knew he was about to get roasted by some... but still did it.
Personally, I find @neuroanatomist to be humorous and intelligent. I've seen him admit when he's proven wrong - that's called integrity and not a lot of people have it.

As far as his argument about BCN and the M-system, it's not as if Canon is NGO responsible for saving our lives buy ignoring profit. If you have time, please read Perter Singer's "Famine, Affluence and Morality." When the global society makes adjustments where individuals expect themselves to conform to what the paper suggest, you'll have a point.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Hopefully, the interpreter is well aware of all these. That's kinda part of their job. Imagine how that would be in the UN or EU council. I really hope they have good interpreters. Maybe they don't and that's why there are so many issues
I've met people working as interpreters who are aware of this problem, but none the less, fail to make the correct decisions. It's a very difficult job and like almost any other job, some people claim to be more qualified than they are while people hiring can be negligent about checking their candidates.

Upvote 0

MythPlayer

EOS R6 Mark Ⅱ
Sep 7, 2021
Upvote 0
Hopefully, the interpreter is well aware of all these. That's kinda part of their job. Imagine how that would be in the UN or EU council. I really hope they have good interpreters. Maybe they don't and that's why there are so many issues
It's hard enough judging the intention behind words in one's own native language, let alone in translation. That doesn't reflect on the interpreter.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Pure clic bait that CR does every other year. Yada yada yada about the same BS. There are plenty of M50s and M6mk2. They are still selling like hot cakes because of their size and functionality. The R system simply has not and most likely never will replace the evf humpless, 35.5mp M6mk2. Sigma lenses are available everywhere. Canon simply lost the lens profits to Sigma. The prices for the M6mk2 haven't fallen much. I wonder why not. I purchased an excelent used one. I have the removeable evf, if I ever need one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0