Opinion: EOS-M transition that never was

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
And we (not everyone) complained about canon's relatively small percentage and not permanent price increases.
Those who complain should take a look at the Leica price list :eek:. And compare with the list of the year before.
They'll never again complain about Canon's "tiny" price increases...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Those who complain should take a look at the Leica price list :eek:. And compare with the list of the year before.
I always assumed that Leica had no price lists, since it's one of those "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" things :)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I agree. Some of them would probably say, "it doesn't matter because I can't use manual or an adapter." Although I'm not a fan of rangefinders, I can see myself trying an M11 Monochrome. It's not even Leica, but I've been feeling temped about adapting or having modified a Distagon T* 15mm f/2.8 ZM, but I'm waiting to see if Canon doesn't make a prime L in that focal length or wider. It's surely more expensive than what canon would sell.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I agree. Some of them would probably say, "it doesn't matter because I can't use manual or an adapter." Although I'm not a fan of rangefinders, I can see myself trying an M11 Monochrome. It's not even Leica, but I've been feeling temped about adapting or having modified a Distagon T* 15mm f/2.8 ZM, but I'm waiting to see if Canon doesn't make a prime L in that focal length or wider. It's surely more expensive than what canon would sell.
If you're thinking of adapting a Leica M compatible UWA (Leica, Voigtlander ot Zeiss) to an EOS R, forget it instantly.
Leica Ms have on the sides of the sensor specially oriented microlenses. Otherwise (the case with every ILC, except Leica SL 2), you'll see an ugly magenta or green cast on the sides of the picture. In my own experience, the only M lenses that can be used on an EOS R are lenses from 35 mm focal length and higher, as well as retrofocus WAs. UWAs specially designed for Leica Ms are not suited (no retrofocus design). No issues usually, with short or longer tele lenses.
In any case, test before buying!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't miss high tea, please!
It's a wonderful (delicious!) experience: :)
Enjoy your vacation!
Been there, done it... won't miss it.
The cost of Fortnum and Mason last time was obscene given I don't like sweet stuff and the UK doesn't have air conditioning so we were all sweating in summer there.
Much rather be walking the streets taking shots :)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Been there, done it... won't miss it.
The cost of Fortnum and Mason last time was obscene given I don't like sweet stuff and the UK doesn't have air conditioning so we were all sweating in summer there.
Much rather be walking the streets taking shots :)
De gustibus non est disputandum...:)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
If you're thinking of adapting a Leica M compatible UWA (Leica, Voigtlander ot Zeiss) to an EOS R, forget it instantly.
Leica Ms have on the sides of the sensor specially oriented microlenses. Otherwise (the case with every ILC, except Leica SL 2), you'll see an ugly magenta or green cast on the sides of the picture. In my own experience, the only M lenses that can be used on an EOS R are lenses from 35 mm focal length and higher, as well as retrofocus WAs. UWAs specially designed for Leica Ms are not suited (no retrofocus design). No issues usually, with short or longer tele lenses.
In any case, test before buying!
Thanks! You saved me a lot of trouble (and money)!

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I just picked up a used EF-M 11-22mm IS at a pretty decent price. I don't have a lot of use for it and would have difficulty justifying the cost, but I would like to get the 32mm f/1.4 someday. It occasionally shows up in Canon's refurbished store for significantly below the price for a new one, so I may just snag one there the next time it comes around.
If you have the disposable income, the 32mm is an excellent APS-C lens. Saw a used one in pristine condition at near half price a couple years back, couldn’t pass it up. That and the 11-22 are the sharpest EF-M lenses in my experience. The 22mm is a step below, but cannot be beat size-wise.

At the other end of the spectrum is the 18-150 - it’s decent enough at the wide end but just ok past 70mm. It also reaches its minimum f6.3 by around 60mm(!). That said, it’s not bad for a so-called “super-zoom” convenience lens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you have the disposable income, the 32mm is an excellent APS-C lens. Saw a used one in pristine condition at near half price a couple years back, couldn’t pass it up. That and the 11-22 are the sharpest EF-M lenses in my experience. The 22mm is a step below, but cannot be beat size-wise.

At the other end of the spectrum is the 18-150 - it’s decent enough at the wide end but just ok past 70mm. It also reaches its minimum f6.3 by around 60mm(!). That said, it’s not bad for a so-called “super-zoom” convenience lens.
The EF-M 32mm is insane. wide open it out resolves the 32MP APS-C sensor in the center and easily outresolves 24MP across the frame. Wide Open.

I was at one time looking at add in reviews on canonnews, and it was one of the lenses I benched as part of the internal pilot. it had incredible performance.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm left with a set of nice little prime lenses but no bodies to use them.
I’m sorry that Canon discontinuing the M line made your camera(s) stop working. I’m a little puzzled by the how of that. Fortunately, my M6II works fine with my full set of M lenses, as does the M6 I had converted to full spectrum.

I sold most of my L lenses and my 5D bodies and moved to Sony.
I feel that Canon sucked me in, took my money, and then ran out the door.
Yes, Sony will never betray you like that. Betamax, Viao…never.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I’m sorry that Canon discontinuing the M line made your camera(s) stop working. I’m a little puzzled by the how of that. Fortunately, my M6II works fine with my full set of M lenses, as does the M6 I had converted to full spectrum.

Yes, Sony will never betray you like that. Betamax, Viao…never.
How about ProMavica MVC-5000 and Minidisk? Couldn't Playstation 4 not run playstation 3 games or something?

Also I wonder how many of these emotional people who freaked out and sold their Canon M products realize the smaller radius of the e mount causes some limitations that could force Sony to retire the mount early?

Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
Also I wonder how many of these emotional people who freaked out and sold their Canon M products realize the smaller radius of the e mount causes some limitations that could force Sony to retire the mount early?
I'm not too familiar with Sony or its troubles, but based on my experience and what I've seen in the market for the last year and a half, my position is that a compact body deserves a compact lens mount. A compact mount of course won't do for a full frame camera, so really doing all segments of the market well will require two mounts. Ideally adapters will let users go at least one way (e.g. adapt full-frame lenses to compact bodies) as a bridge between them, but of course that's only possible if there's enough difference in flange distance with two mounts to accomplish the feat.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
How about ProMavica MVC-5000 and Minidisk? Couldn't Playstation 4 not run playstation 3 games or something?

Sony has been able to fix a lot of issues with the E-mount.
The IBIS seems usable now.
They were even able to couple IBIS with internal ND.
I think the E-mount is here to stay even though it is the smallest of the full-frame mounts.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm not too familiar with Sony or its troubles, but based on my experience and what I've seen in the market for the last year and a half, my position is that a compact body deserves a compact lens mount
That was my thought but what Canon did was pretty smart.
The RF mount is big but RF-S lenses taper in.
It makes those lenses far more ergonomic to use.

Upvote 0