Canon appears to have discontinued 2 EOS-M lenses

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The 2017 M100 had a touchscreen. The R100 doesn't. To a first time camera buyer, who is used to a smartphone, a camera without a touchscreen is just barbaric. :)
The fact that the R100 uses the Digic8 processor is your first clue. This camera is clearly a way to clear leftover parts inventory from the M50. It may not be attractive to any of us here, but it can be sold very cheaply at a profit, so somewhere in the world, Canon will sell them and clear out inventory. It is also worth noting that many places in the world do not have access to cell phones on an individual basis, so the expectation of a touch screen is not that big a deal. I suspect it will take pictures that are just as good as the 200D (SL-2) and I have a lot of really nice photos from that camera. Always good to remember that the world is a big place and not all parts of it are the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
The R100 is only a replacement for a door stop.
Considering it is $200 cheaper than the R50, it will be the only affordable real camera many people can buy. And, of course, it can take photos that are identical to those any other APS-C camera can take for a lot less money. Typical of a gear-head forum, the end result isn't really important - it's all about showing off your specs and showing how smart and clever you are.

P.S. Canon R100 is #3 in Best selling Mirrorless cameras at Amazon USA right now. I hope you feel good insulting all those folks buying that camera and possibly getting into photography for the first time. Nice job.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
"Neither the Sigma nor the Viltrox equivalent come close"

Wait, WAT - The sharp wide open sigma doesn't come close? :cautious:

+ Better build quality (light as a feather canon + no ibis = shake city)
+ Comes with a hood
+ actual usable nicely dampened focus ring

I want whatever this guy is smoking / drinking...it's really good stuff. They are both great, and mostly the same performance wise. This is the first time I'm hearing a complaint of the sigma... I chose it over the canon for the above reasons. It's GREAT.

What a weird mention

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Considering it is $200 cheaper than the R50, it will be the only affordable real camera many people can buy. And, of course, it can take photos that are identical to those any other APS-C camera can take for a lot less money. Typical of a gear-head forum, the end result isn't really important - it's all about showing off your specs and showing how smart and clever you are.

P.S. Canon R100 is #3 in Best selling Mirrorless cameras at Amazon USA right now. I hope you feel good insulting all those folks buying that camera and possibly getting into photography for the first time. Nice job.

So we are going to start calling trash cameras good now, because people are buying them? What silly logic. People buy trash products all the time, especially for quick gifts.

Who cares how much it sells, it's still trash. (n)(n)(n)(n)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The only reason I can see for the existence of the r100 is as a gateway to lure folks into a dedicated camera instead of using a phone. It simply cannot be to appeal to anyone who has used a real camera before.
If so...and if it really is THAT bad...the risk they took was making it so bad it makes people wonder why bother with an ILC at all. It then becomes a "gateway" that has been welded shut.

Upvote 0