Two more Canon EF-M lenses have been discontinued

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The slow death of the EOS M system continues with the discontinuation of two more EF-M lenses. This time, the EF-M 55-200 f/4.5-6.3 IS and the EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM are on the chopping block. It appears that we’re down to 5 lenses currently available for the EOS M system. Remaining “current” Canon EF-M

See full article...

Nov 14, 2022
The EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM II worked remarkebly well on my M6II. While it's not as small as a proper EF-M lens would be, it balanced OK for me.
Yes but if I put a big EF on the small M6II I can just take the R5, no reason to put a small cam on a big lens (adapter wastes space too). Would have liked a small optimized tele for the smaller camera beyond the 55-200.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Yes but if I put a big EF on the small M6II I can just take the R5, no reason to put a small cam on a big lens (adapter wastes space too). Would have liked a small optimized tele for the smaller camera beyond the 55-200.
M6 II have 32 MP in APS-C and gives much more definition for far subjects, and 70-300 still delivers with that kind of sensor... that given, R5 is great with this lens too and anyway, I would have noticed R7 will do what M6 II did in that regard with a much better AF.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2022
But then I'm currently thinking if I should get the RF100-400 or RF100-500 for the big body for more reach in some situations.

That EF 70-300mm (112-480 on the M) would cover about the same range at less costs and less space in my bag. And it would leave the big cam free with another lens for a closer range I already own (while I don't own any closer lenses in the M system).

So maybe getting the EF 70-300 and the adapter for the small cam is an option to think about. Thanks for that input.

@OskarB What advantages does the EF-S 55-250 IS STM have over the M variant? I know the M is rather soft, even worse with mechanical shutter and has the occasional IS hiccups, is all this solved with the EF-S? Maybe also something to consider, if it fits the case I use for the small setup.

And like with the Nikon 1 before I consider investing in a dead system. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
So shortsighted to discontinue these before launching replacements. Almost none of these EF-M lenses have equivalents in the R world, and we still don't have an M6 replacement. Canon make great cameras but they make some really weird decisions. Glad I bought my M system last year with all the lenses I need
Canon is maybe "shortsighted", but not as much as some customers are ...
Both discontinued M-lenses are already R-placed!

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
So we need a new camera (which hasn't launched if you want M6 form factor) to use the two discontinued lenses which are available, but we also need an M camera to use the ones which are not yet available. As I said, short sighted. These R version lenses aren't new, they're generally the same optics so no reason other than drip feeding product launches not to launch all of them. Same for the M6 replacement, just pop a new lens mount on the M6ii if they have to. Thankfully I was happy to invest in a dying system and lose my investment, but a lot of people are in limbo right now and can't buy into M or R.

Upvote 0
@OskarB What advantages does the EF-S 55-250 IS STM have over the M variant? I know the M is rather soft, even worse with mechanical shutter and has the occasional IS hiccups, is all this solved with the EF-S? Maybe also something to consider, if it fits the case I use for the small setup.
The EF-S 55-250 IS STM is much sharper, has more reach, a wider aperature and a closer mfd.
I tried both and the EF-S was better by far. Weight and size is more, but it is still compact.
Another advantage is, that I could use it on a R camera as well, if I once would exchange my M6II.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
So we need a new camera (which hasn't launched if you want M6 form factor) to use the two discontinued lenses which are available, but we also need an M camera ...
Who is "we"? Maybe YOU need a new camera, I don't.
Are you a king or something or why is your interest plural?

... but we also need an M camera to use the ones which are not yet available. As I said, short sighted.
Do you really still believe there will be any new lenses for M-mount?
You shouldn't use the words "short sighted" anymore, it's getting ridiculous.

Thankfully I was happy to invest in a dying system and lose my investment, but a lot of people are in limbo right now and can't buy into M or R.
Yes, YOU should be thankful! But please don't speak for others. A lot of people are (maybe!) very happy with having made the transition!

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
The EF-S 55-250 IS STM is much sharper, has more reach, a wider aperature and a closer mfd.
I tried both and the EF-S was better by far. Weight and size is more, but it is still compact.
Another advantage is, that I could use it on a R camera as well, if I once would exchange my M6II.
Yes, I hope the focus for the upcoming RF-S lenses will rather be on speed and image quality instead of small/light/cheap. But to be honest, I think this is wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
So shortsighted to discontinue these before launching replacements. Almost none of these EF-M lenses have equivalents in the R world, and we still don't have an M6 replacement. Canon make great cameras but they make some really weird decisions. Glad I bought my M system last year with all the lenses I need
The M series of bodies and lenses was excellent, and were particularly good as travel cameras. I'm disappointed that the series is, in the words of CR undergoing a "slow death".

But it is by no means a "weird decision" by Canon. They exist to sell cameras and make profits. It makes far more sense for them to kill the M system, because:

a) it means they get to sell a whole new bucketload of RF cameras and RF-S lenses.
b) using a common mount encourages people to eventually upgrade to R6ii, R5 etc, rather than to switch to another brand.

Canon ain't daft!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
I don't know that discontinuing EF-M lenses itself really shows commitment to their logical RF-S replacements. (And I'm speaking in general terms here, not in regard to specific focal lengths.) Now if they announce a couple new RF-S lenses within the next few weeks (e.g. 22mm, 32mm, 11-22mm), then it might change my opinion.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
Who is "we"? Maybe YOU need a new camera, I don't.
Are you a king or something or why is your interest plural?

Do you really still believe there will be any new lenses for M-mount?
You shouldn't use the words "short sighted" anymore, it's getting ridiculous.

Yes, YOU should be thankful! But please don't speak for others. A lot of people are (maybe!) very happy with having made the transition!
Well, the new lenses don't work with M bodies, so we (Canon customers) would need a new camera in order to use them. That new body isn't compatible with the other M lenses which aren't available for R yet. I didn't think it was that complicated of a point. No, I'm not expecting new M stuff. I do hope that Canon completes the R line up soon though as right now they have huge gaps compared to where they were two years ago.

Upvote 0