Two more Canon EF-M lenses have been discontinued

The EF-S 55-250 IS STM is much sharper, has more reach, a wider aperature and a closer mfd.
I tried both and the EF-S was better by far. Weight and size is more, but it is still compact.
Another advantage is, that I could use it on a R camera as well, if I once would exchange my M6II.
Your copies maybe. The 55-250 was a good lens for it's time but in a back to back comparison It doesn't hold a sharpness advantage if you compare multiple copies of each. I was positive that the 18-150 was better than the 55-200. Only after taking photos of the moon at the same focal length did I realize my copy of the 55-200 was better than my 18-150.

Upvote 0
Your copies maybe. The 55-250 was a good lens for it's time but in a back to back comparison It doesn't hold a sharpness advantage if you compare multiple copies of each. I was positive that the 18-150 was better than the 55-200. Only after taking photos of the moon at the same focal length did I realize my copy of the 55-200 was better than my 18-150.
Your copies maybe. I know 2 copies of the EF-S, and both are very good.
As for age, the EF-S IS STM is only 1 yr older than the EF-M variant. There are older models of the EF-S, which don't deliver the same IQ.

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
@lote82

Thanks for writing !

What is wrong with sticking to the M6 II with EF-M 11-22?
I don't own it now, and Canon is no longer making it, so I would have to buy it used, which I prefer not to do.
And I prefer R to M, since Canon is no longer developing M.

Are the body and lens really that outdated or why do you need an additional(!) equivalent offering RIGHT NOW?
I don't absolutely need it right now -- I can wait.
But I'll allow myself a bit of complaining. :)
So I'll repeat, Canon shouldn't have discontinued the M6II without a replacement.

R100 will rather be low-end, while M6 II is/was rather high-end.
Low-end is fine. I expect the R100 to be similar to the R50, but without EVF.

If you want very small camera the R100 (probably!) would make sense. But the R8 with FF-lens (probably!) is much bigger, heavier and more expensive. What is your goal?
You're absolutely right -- I'm conflicted between APS-C and FF. I'm sure the answer is both. :)

Wouldn't it make much more sense to look for a compact(?) all in one camera with big sensor and UW-lens (zoom).
I like the modularity of ILC, but I would certainly consider a big-sensor all-in-one. Does anyone know a good one ?

why only Canon offerings
I can consider other brands, but historically Canon does a good job, and I don't want to go even crazier with shopping.

why only DSLM with attached lens?
I'm all for modularity and multiple lenses. But I think 90% of my shots will be 24mm. And I'm more likely to carry a small camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0