Canon has discontinued another EOS M camera

May 4, 2022
What makes you think it's "in production" though?
What makes you sure it's not? Occam's Razor would suggest that since it's still widely available and stock is being replenished in all regions other than the couple where it's no longer sold that they are still making them. As I said earlier, anyone with supply chain experience will tell you they don't have a million of them lying about in warehouses, the idea that there's some huge inventory somewhere is pure imagination. Surely Covid demonstrated that when literally everything went out of stock within a month.
Sure, there's evidence that a couple of regional markets have decided to discontinue sales. If there's evidence they are no longer being made I have yet to see it.
I do agree the M cameras will be replaced very soon, and I do agree that M will not have new cameras. I don't agree that it's dead today, and I don't think it's helpful to tell people to avoid it for the past few years. Many people will buy M cameras this year and enjoy them for years to come.

The M6ii seems better than the R10 in every way to me, so as of today I would still choose M6ii from all of Canon's offerings despite it's apparent demise. I actually tried a couple of Sony cameras as a result of this kind of speculation, and can see why the M series still sells so well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
What makes you sure it's not? Occam's Razor would suggest that since it's still widely available and stock is being replenished in all regions other than the couple where it's no longer sold that they are still making them. As I said earlier, anyone with supply chain experience will tell you they don't have a million of them lying about in warehouses, the idea that there's some huge inventory somewhere is pure imagination. Surely Covid demonstrated that when literally everything went out of stock within a month.
Sure, there's evidence that a couple of regional markets have decided to discontinue sales. If there's evidence they are no longer being made I have yet to see it.
I do agree the M cameras will be replaced very soon, and I do agree that M will not have new cameras. I don't agree that it's dead today, and I don't think it's helpful to tell people to avoid it for the past few years. Many people will buy M cameras this year and enjoy them for years to come.

The M6ii seems better than the R10 in every way to me, so as of today I would still choose M6ii from all of Canon's offerings despite it's apparent demise. I actually tried a couple of Sony cameras as a result of this kind of speculation, and can see why the M series still sells so well.
I commend your dedication to dying on this hill.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Canon says it is discontinued. That means it is no longer produced and has been relegated to the museum. You need to try and keep up when you are in a thread. ;) Reminds me of The Top Notes in 1960 when they recorded Twist and Shout (Covered later by the Beatles.).

m62discontinued.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
Canon says it is discontinued. That means it is no longer produced and has been relegated to the museum. You need to try and keep up when you are in a thread. ;) Reminds me of The Top Notes in 1960 when they recorded Twist and Shout (Covered later by the Beatles.).
Canon Japan, yes. Canon Australia too. Global businesses do different things in different markets. This is not evidence they no longer manufacture a model regardless how much certain people wish it was.

They may well have stopped manufacturing them, we have no evidence of that and in fact most evidence points to the contrary right now.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Japan, yes. Canon Australia too. Global businesses do different things in different markets. This is not evidence they no longer manufacture a model regardless how much certain people wish it was.

They may well have stopped manufacturing them, we have no evidence of that and in fact most evidence points to the contrary right now.
It's not like they're made in Japan or anything and that the #1 market for the EOS M cameras is Japan. So, Canon Japan discontinues it, but continues to produce it for lesser markets? Seems reasonable!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
It's not like they're made in Japan or anything and that the #1 market for the EOS M cameras is Japan. So, Canon Japan discontinues it, but continues to produce it for lesser markets? Seems reasonable!
If you have some sort of evidence, perhaps you could share it rather than simply insisting you're right?

If Japan is such a big market, isn't it weird that they are choosing to send their last stock to other markets and cut off the very people who want them most?

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
If you have some sort of evidence, perhaps you could share it rather than simply insisting you're right?

If Japan is such a big market, isn't it weird that they are choosing to send their last stock to other markets and cut off the very people who want them most?
Fact is, it is discontinued. You won't get evidence for speculations.
Maybe the stock in Japan is already gone because of the high demand of customers in Japan. Maybe it is not that simple and fast to get stock capacities from other countries back to Japan ... But again: That is speculation without evidence. If you want evidence, ask Canon (or tell it to the marines)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
To be fair, they are not abandoning the market. They'll release (eventually) RF cameras to replace M and keep that market. You're right, it makes zero sense to have a huge gap between stopping M and starting R. Obviously (to most of us) they've not done that since they still sell the M.
They still sell the M50 II.

The Corolla comprises 30% of Toyota’s sales. Would they stop selling all but one trim level of it? Even if they planned to release lower-trim Camrys soon? Seems foolish.

I wonder if we’ll see an M300 launching soon?

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here’s what I don’t get: earlier this year, Canon stated that 30% of cameras they sell are EOS M. Does it really make sense for Canon to abandon a market comprising that fraction of their sales?
No money in cameras, lenses have the margins.

That 30% number is fine, but it's not like all of those sales are going to go to someone else. The EOS R system will simply take its place, which is why brand power matters, and Canon has that in spades.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
Fact is, it is discontinued. You won't get evidence for speculations.
Maybe the stock in Japan is already gone because of the high demand of customers in Japan. Maybe it is not that simple and fast to get stock capacities from other countries back to Japan ... But again: That is speculation without evidence. If you want evidence, ask Canon (or tell it to the marines)
What a strange statement. You're telling us it's definitely a fact while also saying there is no evidence for that speculation. Neuroanatomist makes a great point, why would Canon discontinue supplying 30% of their own market? Why would they discontinue within their allegedly best region first? The obvious answer is that these "facts" are pure BS made up to support a perspective.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What a strange statement. You're telling us it's definitely a fact while also saying there is no evidence for that speculation. Neuroanatomist makes a great point, why would Canon discontinue supplying 30% of their own market? Why would they discontinue within their allegedly best region first? The obvious answer is that these "facts" are pure BS made up to support a perspective.
Seriously, the M6II is listed as discontinued by Canon Japan on their own website. Who is making up BS here?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
Seriously, the M6II is listed as discontinued by Canon Japan on their own website. Who is making up BS here?
I am confused, your own post said you didn't think Canon would abandon the market. As I said, Canon Japan is a sales region which has apparently stopped selling a product. The document doesn't say anything about manufacturing. People here are filling in the gaps with their own imaginations because they want to believe M is already dead. It's not. It probably will be soon, but that's just speculation based on nothing but a general trend.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
That seems unlikely. The M system launched in 2012, so not competing with R mount cameras that didn’t launch until 2018 doesn’t make much sense. If the goal was not to compete seriously with EF mount cameras that was ultimately a failure since 30% of cameras Canon now sells are M (more than the 20% R and 10% P&S, and not far off the 40% DLSR).
But the R mount or something similar was probably also considered when the M-mount was proposed. A third option was to simply remove the mirror from EF-mount cameras and leave the flange distance intact.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
They still sell the M50 II.

The Corolla comprises 30% of Toyota’s sales. Would they stop selling all but one trim level of it? Even if they planned to release lower-trim Camrys soon? Seems foolish.

I wonder if we’ll see an M300 launching soon?
I would very much like to see an M300 with eye-AF in servo mode!
Every time I use my original M, I think “I really like this formfactor!”, followed by “How did I ever find this AF speed acceptable?!?”

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
CR mirrors the wider world. Here, just like Capitol Hill in terms of denial.
I've actually had to wonder: Did the virus hit earlier than thought? Did it wipe out reason and logic in part of the population? Because it has been shocking to me that such a large number of people seem to completely disregard evidence and facts in support of their "team". Or, they just don't care about the truth, and the internet is their reality. It really is scary. In a way, it feels like idolatry.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Not really, I just understand global supply chain. If Canon had the quantity of stock being suggested here they'd have been out of business years ago. Yes, there are a few mark 1's in stock still, but when sold they are not replenished. Mark 2 by contrast is widely in stock online and in retail stores and is being regularly replenished.
It's not asking a lot for a little credibility in postings to substantiate what otherwise looks like complete speculation and which causes real harm to Canon's business as well as the businesses of their stockists. We all know the M series will eventually be replaced, it's looking like small RF-s cameras will take their place, but right now as of today if you want a canon and you want a small form factor these are the option you have and they work perfectly well. Claiming something is dead is easy - being right within a reasonable timeframe is hard, and there have been posts declaring the death of M for a very long time with apparently very little substance in the real world.

Let's just say it's really right though. Let's assume Canon have 100,000 units in some mythical warehouse and have stopped production ready for release of a new camera which we all know is coming. Do you really think telling people not to buy those 100,000 units of "dead technology" will accelerate release of new models? No, quite the opposite, Canon will wait until stock dwindles if they are smart.
I don't think that speculation on these fora would have any kind of material effect on Canon's sales, positive or negative.

The harm (if harm has happened) done to M sales has been mainly caused by Canon with their obvious lack of investment in the M mount, as opposed to their obvious focus on the RF mount. They are the reason why people (me included) believe the M mount to be sunsetting, if not already dead.

Upvote 0