Canon has discontinued another EOS M camera

No, the new RF-S lenses are there to replace the M ones and similar sizes. We can only hope an M200 and M6 body are coming. There is already the R10 to cover the slightly bigger M cameras with viewfinder.
The two super slow EF-S zooms? These are a dramatic step back from the 32mm f1.4, 22mm f2, and Sigma 1.4 trio. My photography and videography would take HUGE step back in picture quality. If I sold my M6mkii and lenses and bought an R7 and those RF-S lenses, it would be a major downgrade, and with all due respect, I don't see how it's debatable.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well, for a start I missed all of the evidence that M6ii is discontinued that apparently has been posted here to justify the claims made in the original post. Please share these so we can all benefit. Until then, we can all see the model for sale in most regions, as well as stock levels going down regularly and being replenished regularly.
Canon Japan lists their discontinued products:

The M6 II is on the list. The M200 is not yet on it, but if you visit the canon.jp web store you'll see that none of the product links allow an M200/kit to be added to a cart. You can still buy M50 II kits (called Kiss M2 there). That happened with the M6II as well, before it showed up on the Discontinued Products page.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
The two super slow EF-S zooms? These are a dramatic step back from the 32mm f1.4, 22mm f2, and Sigma 1.4 trio. My photography and videography would take HUGE step back in picture quality. If I sold my M6mkii and lenses and bought an R7 and those RF-S lenses, it would be a major downgrade, and with all due respect, I don't see how it's debatable.
They obviously are not finished with the range yet, but since they are now RF cameras they also have full access to all EF and RF lenses. I'm sure eventually they will fill in the gaps with small form factor lenses similar to the M range.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hopefully if (still a big if, IMO) Canon actually abandons the M system, they will convert most EF-M lenses to RF-S, as they did with the 18-150mm. Of course, they may not as a way to drive people to FF MILCs.

Earlier this year, a Canon exec stated that the M system comprises 30% of Canon's global camera sales. I remain unconvinced that they are abandoning the line. It could just as easily be they are discontinuing products for which there is sufficient stock prior to launching their replacements.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
They obviously are not finished with the range yet, but since they are now RF cameras they also have full access to all EF and RF lenses. I'm sure eventually they will fill in the gaps with small form factor lenses similar to the M range.
Maybe they will eventually fill in the gaps, maybe they won't. Even if they do, I have my doubts that they will be affordable or small. Right now, I only see two RF lenses that are as fast or faster than the f1.4 options in the M range, and they cost *gulp* $2,599 and $2,099...and they're significantly bigger and heavier. With Canon blocking third party lens manufacturers from making AF RF lenses, Sigma and Tamron will not be coming to the rescue. So my options are to spend several thousand dollars and go back to carrying a big, heavy backpack around like I did 15 years ago, or switch to a different brand.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Hopefully if (still a big if, IMO) Canon actually abandons the M system, they will convert most EF-M lenses to RF-S, as they did with the 18-150mm. Of course, they may not as a way to drive people to FF MILCs.

Earlier this year, a Canon exec stated that the M system comprises 30% of Canon's global camera sales. I remain unconvinced that they are abandoning the line. It could just as easily be they are discontinuing products for which there is sufficient stock prior to launching their replacements.
Yes, I think their hope is to drive someone like me to their big expensive full-frame RF systems, but in actuality they will just drive me to their competitors, which are still making systems similar to the M series. With what's out there now, I can't see a way to put together an RF system that rivals what I already have in the M system. But Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic do have options that are similar. Hopefully they do eventually come out with another M body, but they seem to be slowly closing out the system.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I don't really understand Canon's strategy for M users. I get that it's more efficient for them manufacture just one lens mount, but if I want to get an updated body with all the benefits of the M system, my only choice is to sell all my Canon gear and switch to a different brand.

All the RF gear is too big, too expensive, or too slow, or in most cases, all of the above. With no way to adapt all my M lenses I spent the last several years and $x,xxx accumulating, there's nothing tying me to the Canon brand any longer.

I've been shooting Canon my entire photography life (about 20 years) and it seems they are leaving me no choice but to switch to a competitor. It's truly bizarre.

The reality of the EOS M system is that Canon didn't put serious resources behind it. It was designed and developed by the PowerShot team, not the EOS team. It's almost like they never spoke to each other.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
With what's out there now, I can't see a way to put together an RF system that rivals what I already have in the M system. But Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic do have options that are similar.
Fuji seems like an attractive alternative. I agree that there's no way to put an RF system together that matches the M system, but that larger sensor comes with benefits and tradeoffs. Personally, I will stick with EOS M bodies/lenses until they stop selling them and mine stop working. For me, the M kit is a secondary system when I want something small and light for travel or local outings.

However, it's worth noting that my iPhone 14 Pro is like having 3 prime lenses (13mm, 24mm, 77mm) and if you count the 4:1 binning of the 48 MP sensor behind the 24mm lens, you can digitally add a 48mm prime as well. I suspect that means I'll be bringing the M6II along on fewer local outings.

Upvote 0
The reality of the EOS M system is that Canon didn't put serious resources behind it. It was designed and developed by the PowerShot team, not the EOS team. It's almost like they never spoke to each other.
I agree, but they did develop a few phenomenal, small/light, and relatively cheap M lenses. The F1.4 32mm, f2 22mm, and 11-22mm are all fantastic, and then Sigma came out with the trio to fill in some gaps. If Sigma issued their new 18-50mm 2.8mm for the M series, I'd say the system is pretty close to complete.

The problem for me is there is simply no upgrade path in the RF system that will get me to where I already am with the M series. I just don't don't get what Canon expects someone like me to do besides switch brands. I have a small hope that they will eventually issue an R7 type body for the M series, but the hope is dwindling with every post I see like this on CanonRumors.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Fuji seems like an attractive alternative. I agree that there's no way to put an RF system together that matches the M system, but that larger sensor comes with benefits and tradeoffs. Personally, I will stick with EOS M bodies/lenses until they stop selling them and mine stop working. For me, the M kit is a secondary system when I want something small and light for travel or local outings.

However, it's worth noting that my iPhone 14 Pro is like having 3 prime lenses (13mm, 24mm, 77mm) and if you count the 4:1 binning of the 48 MP sensor behind the 24mm lens, you can digitally add a 48mm prime as well. I suspect that means I'll be bringing the M6II along on fewer local outings.
That's the thing. The M6ii with fast prime lenses still takes significantly better pictures than the iphone 14 in most situations, while only being slightly more of a hassle to carry around. The R7 with their new, slow RF-S zooms on the other hand, doesn't really beat the iphone 14 in many situations. I'd argue (and I know it's arguable) that the iphone would actually perform better for portraits than the R7 paired with those slow zooms, and similarly well for daytime landscape shots. I feel like iPhones have gotten good enough that slow kit zooms on a crop sensor are pointless in most situations these days. Obviously Canon disagrees since they just came out with two of them. For sports and wildlife photographers, there's some value there, but for everything else, I don't see it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I agree, but they did develop a few phenomenal, small/light, and relatively cheap M lenses. The F1.4 32mm, f2 22mm, and 11-22mm are all fantastic, and then Sigma came out with the trio to fill in some gaps. If Sigma issued their new 18-50mm 2.8mm for the M series, I'd say the system is pretty close to complete.

The problem for me is there is simply no upgrade path in the RF system that will get me to where I already am with the M series. I just don't don't get what Canon expects someone like me to do besides switch brands. I have a small hope that they will eventually issue an R7 type body for the M series, but the hope is dwindling with every post I see like this on CanonRumors.
I'm still holding some hope that the rumoured R100 will be very, very close in size to the M6II. If that's the case, I would really appreciate the 11-22, 22, 28 and 32 lenses to get a very close RF equivalent. Although the RF 16mm is nice and small already, it could take the place of the 22mm.

Upvote 0
I'm still holding some hope that the rumoured R100 will be very, very close in size to the M6II. If that's the case, I would really appreciate the 11-22, 22, 28 and 32 lenses to get a very close RF equivalent. Although the RF 16mm is nice and small already, it could take the place of the 22mm.
Yep, basically we need them to re-create everything we already have in EF-M for the RF, and then we will be back to where we already are. Lol I just don't get the value prop for an M user.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Well, for a start I missed all of the evidence that M6ii is discontinued that apparently has been posted here to justify the claims made in the original post. Please share these so we can all benefit. Until then, we can all see the model for sale in most regions, as well as stock levels going down regularly and being replenished regularly.
There never was or ever will be an evidence for this, because no manufacturer will ever tell you the truth. Regarding your logic the 6D mark I (!!!) is not discontinued because I can buy a new one on Amazon in US and Germany (just to give an example) ... You still confuse inventory with production!

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
You still confuse inventory with production!
Not really, I just understand global supply chain. If Canon had the quantity of stock being suggested here they'd have been out of business years ago. Yes, there are a few mark 1's in stock still, but when sold they are not replenished. Mark 2 by contrast is widely in stock online and in retail stores and is being regularly replenished.
It's not asking a lot for a little credibility in postings to substantiate what otherwise looks like complete speculation and which causes real harm to Canon's business as well as the businesses of their stockists. We all know the M series will eventually be replaced, it's looking like small RF-s cameras will take their place, but right now as of today if you want a canon and you want a small form factor these are the option you have and they work perfectly well. Claiming something is dead is easy - being right within a reasonable timeframe is hard, and there have been posts declaring the death of M for a very long time with apparently very little substance in the real world.

Let's just say it's really right though. Let's assume Canon have 100,000 units in some mythical warehouse and have stopped production ready for release of a new camera which we all know is coming. Do you really think telling people not to buy those 100,000 units of "dead technology" will accelerate release of new models? No, quite the opposite, Canon will wait until stock dwindles if they are smart.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That's the thing. The M6ii with fast prime lenses still takes significantly better pictures than the iphone 14 in most situations, while only being slightly more of a hassle to carry around.
I mostly agree with the better pictures part, but disagree with slightly more of a hassle to carry. An iPhone fits in a pocket of anything I wear, an M6II with 22/2 fits in an overcoat pocket or in a belt pouch. Either is substantially more of a hassle to carry, especially since I'm going to be carrying a phone anyway. And that's if I only bring one lens (which I often do if that lens is the M18-150, but not often with just a prime lens).

So for me, it becomes a question of the relative increase in hassle of bringing a small bag (e.g. Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20) with the M and 2-3 lenses, or a larger bag (e.g. LowePro Fastpack 300 AW) with the R3 and 2-3 lenses.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

Or you could buy a new M6 II while you still can and be good for the next 8 years or so and not need to buy any new lenses or switch brands. During those 8 years you can patiently wait and see what Canon does with their R series APS-C cameras and RF-S lenses. I have an R10, which may not be quite as small as the M6 II, but is still very small and light, and who knows what other crop camera may be coming in the next 8 years - maybe even smaller and lighter. If Canon reproduces the M lenses in the RF-S form, that may be the way to go when the time comes that your M6 II bites the dust.

I guess I just don't get when people start worrying about the future if they have a camera and lenses they already like and will be able to use for years to come. Worry when that camera breaks down - there's no reason to map everything out ahead of time, especially since we don't know what camera makers have in their future plans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
The reality of the EOS M system, is it was designed to be small, easy to use, and with small lenses that can be easily carried almost anywhere (as far as an interchangeable lens camera go). It has lenses that cover all the focal ranges needed for that purpose. Some people understand that. Others, alas, don't and never have.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The reality of the EOS M system, is it was designed to be small, easy to use, and with small lenses that can be easily carried almost anywhere (as far as an interchangeable lens camera go). It has lenses that cover all the focal ranges needed for that purpose. Some people understand that. Others, alas, don't and never have.
Plus, with a simple adapter it can seamlessly work with the full EF/EF-S lens lineup so capabilities not available in EF-M mount can be accessed, and an M body can serve as a small/light backup camera to a larger system.

Upvote 0
Or you could buy a new M6 II while you still can and be good for the next 8 years or so and not need to buy any new lenses or switch brands. During those 8 years you can patiently wait and see what Canon does with their R series APS-C cameras and RF-S lenses. I have an R10, which may not be quite as small as the M6 II, but is still very small and light, and who knows what other crop camera may be coming in the next 8 years - maybe even smaller and lighter. If Canon reproduces the M lenses in the RF-S form, that may be the way to go when the time comes that your M6 II bites the dust.

I guess I just don't get when people start worrying about the future if they have a camera and lenses they already like and will be able to use for years to come. Worry when that camera breaks down - there's no reason to map everything out ahead of time, especially since we don't know what camera makers have in their future plans.
I actually already own two m6ii's. Your advice makes sense from photography perspective, but not as much from a videography perspective.

For photography the R7 isn't much of an upgrade over the m6ii, and when you take into account the lens lineup, its actually a downgrade IMO.

But from a videography perspective, the R7 is a big step up from the m6ii. It has several major improvements that have been available from competitors for years now that would be really nice to have. If there were an M mount camera identical to the R7 I would buy it immediately, as I'm sure many other M users would too. But instead I am debating whether I should wait and hope for an eventual updated M body (looking less and less likely), or just cut my losses, sell all my M gear while it still has some value, and leave for another brand never to return. I'm just not sure if Canon no longer cares about customers with my needs or if they mistakenly believe they are offering a viable replacement with the RF-S series.

Upvote 0