Canon has discontinued another EOS M camera

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I'm just not sure if Canon no longer cares about customers with my needs or if they mistakenly believe they are offering a viable replacement with the RF-S series.
I'm pretty sure what they think is that maintaining two systems isn't worth it. For some M mount users, RF-S will work as an alternative, for others it won't. But the cost of maintaining both mounts outweighs the benefit to retain all M mount users, so they'll take what they can get for a better use of resources and efficiency. Pretty sure it's not a mistake, rather it's a deliberate, weighted decision.

Technology changes, markets change. The FD mount is longer supported. Canon film cameras are no longer made. The change didn't satisfy all their users moving to EF and digital. But it satisfied some, and they took the calculated loss for those that weren't satisfied. Same for this.

That's just what happens with technology in all kinds of consumer segments.

At least with physical technology, the stuff you own still works. In subscription and company maintained server based technology it can just end that instant the decision is made.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Canon set to release an M6 Mk 3. The 32.5mp apsc is hard to beat paired with the M50 mk2. Canon simply has no apsc camera even close at 32.5mp. Sigma's EFM lenses cant be matched at price point by Canon RF alternatives. Not anytime soon
Where did you read that? I would wait to buy it, if true. Seems to me based on rumors here is the target is R100 with some EF-M lens designs converted to larger R flange, no?

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Anybody know why BH and Adorama would state "close out" or "discontinued" if it wasn't true? Also, Canon had those decent M lens price reductions, is this to move inventory and end it? efm 22 $179, efm 32 $399.
Only the M200. It doesnt sell as well. NOT the M6 mk 2 or M50 mk 2. Nobody cares about the m200. M lenses have been on sale by region for nearly 5 years. The M6 mk 2 is still $1000. There is no 32.5 mp apsc with the form factor of the M6 mk 2

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
When Canon releases a 32.5mp apsc with the form factor of the M6 mk 2 you will see those price fall below $999. Until then there will be plenty shipping from Japan for a few years. There simply is no logistics or supply chain to adequately replace Canon's cash cow. The M200 is not the M6 mk 2 or M50 mk 2, of which there are plenty in the USA, and plenty more on their way. Despite what CR has been saying for over 5 years. The USA purchases more M6 mk 2 and M50 than any other market. Canon can discontinue all the other M series cameras and still make a profit on the USA M6k 2 and M50 mk 2 sales alone. Canon doesnt need the M200, but it does need the M6 and M50.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Only the M200. It doesnt sell as well. NOT the M6 mk 2 or M50 mk 2. Nobody cares about the m200. M lenses have been on sale by region for nearly 5 years. The M6 mk 2 is still $1000. There is no 32.5 mp apsc with the form factor of the M6 mk 2
Adorama website has M6ii listed as *closeout* right now. BH has M6ii body only and 2 kits listed discontinued. The M6ii kit w/ 15-45 with EVF is in stock, no note stating discontinued. Yet for M200 Adorama and BH has no such note and both have M200 in stock. I can't disagree with your opinion as the M6ii is more valid of a product today for 32mp than M200 which is small for photo/webcam/streaming, but the low end market BH has content creator kits listed with the M200, just like Canon offers with the M50, marketing to the low end perhaps they are looking at the target market of YoutTubers with the new Sony ZV-1F at same price ~$500.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Actuall B&H does NOT show it discontinued. Maybe you need to clear your cache. B&H sales support stated that it has not been discontinued in the USA. Canonnews.com gets their info from Canon Rumors. Canon Rumors has been trying to kill off the M system for nearly a decade. Consistantly being wrong. Every time, Canon releases another M50 or M6 Read the arquives. Canon will probably release and M6 MK 3
Canon didn't discontinue the camera and then re-continue it. It's discontinued.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Anybody know why BH and Adorama would state "close out" or "discontinued" if it wasn't true? Also, Canon had those decent M lens price reductions, is this to move inventory and end it? efm 22 $179, efm 32 $399.
So they can re-continue it and unclose it later. I saw the same thing, yet some brains around here, for some reason, resist reality. I think what are probably the biggest sellers in the USA know better than some shlub.

B&C Camera in Las Vegas shows them all sold out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not surprised that the M200 is getting discontinued, Canon obviously doesn't see a market for it anymore.

Having only the M50 II left is not looking good for the future of EF-M, but if it's still the best seller like people say it is they could keep producing it for a few years as long as its profitable and until the sales start dropping, then by that point they could release an equivalent R100 (If there is still a market for the R100 at the time) then they will have all the EF-M lens lineup converted to RF/RF-S.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm not surprised that the M200 is getting discontinued, Canon obviously doesn't see a market for it anymore.

Having only the M50 II left is not looking good for the future of EF-M, but if it's still the best seller like people say it is they could keep producing it for a few years as long as its profitable and until the sales start dropping, then by that point they could release an equivalent R100 (If there is still a market for the R100 at the time) then they will have all the EF-M lens lineup converted to RF/RF-S.
Sales may or may not be strong, however, what are the profits? Just because sales are hot doesn't mean it is making money or enough to be worth it. Canon may have calculated that an APS-C RF mount camera would be more profitable. We'll never know.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
> We have no solid information about any discontinuations of EF-M lenses, perhaps Canon has a plan to keep those lenses relevant, as there are some good ones out there.

My hunch is that manufacturers produce most of the goods over a fairly short production run, as the cost of setting up a production line is pretty high, vs. the cost of funding a warehouse with a few years' worth of goods until they're sold.

The EF-M film-to-flange distance was I think 16 or 18mm, while the RF is 20mm, so there cannot be an adapter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Removing a SKU from a couple of regions doesn't change the fact that it's still very much in production and selling across the globe. I'm not saying it won't be, as it clearly will. Making things up to justify your own narrative kind of undermines the whole site though. Why would I believe a rumour written by someone who doesn't even understand the current facts?
I'm sure it will be sold as long as inventories last. What makes you think it's "in production" though?

What makes you think the author has "a narrative"? What is that narrative you think they have, and why? How does a rumor "justify" a narrative? Wouldn't only facts prove a narrative correct or wrong?

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Still can't understand why Canon Rumors Guy get's so excited about the death of the M system. Did it kill his sister or something?
Where did you get the idea that I was excited? Right? Yes.... Excited? I honestly don't care one way or another. It's not a system that I have ever had much interest in. I was shooting an X-T3 until the R5 arrived.

I do feel for the people that invested in the system and are somewhat going to be left in the cold. I hope they figure something out with the EF-M lenses, because there are some great ones... but I'm not sure what they can do to make the endeavor worthwhile.

• Love
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I was looking earlier today on all Canon MILC's and Adorama has the M6ii silver top model you are looking for in stock as "close out" so check it out, they a large distributor and are also in NYC competing with BH.
On closeout? No way! You might need to clear your cache. ;} When you don't keep your cache cleared the "discontinued virus" spreads to retailers and posts discontinued all over product pages at random. There are variants too: "Closeout" "Sold Out" etc. The vaccine is administered by clearing your cache./S

Rumors guy just posted a photo of the virus. It looks like this:m62discontinued.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Actuall B&H does NOT show it discontinued. Maybe you need to clear your cache. B&H sales support stated that it has not been discontinued in the USA. Canonnews.com gets their info from Canon Rumors. Canon Rumors has been trying to kill off the M system for nearly a decade. Consistantly being wrong. Every time, Canon releases another M50 or M6 Read the arquives. Canon will probably release and M6 MK 3
How in the world is a rumor website going to "kill" a camera or the production of a camera? Weird. That. Power. Does. Not. Exist. It's discontinued.

1. This website changed owners a several months ago. I highly doubt the previous owner conspired with the new owner to keep trying to "Kill" the M6 II.
2. There will be no Mark III
3. Rumors guy is right.
4. Rumors guy just gave you an epic burn in his above post.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0