Canon has discontinued another EOS M camera

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
The reality of the EOS M system, is it was designed to be small, easy to use, and with small lenses that can be easily carried almost anywhere (as far as an interchangeable lens camera go). It has lenses that cover all the focal ranges needed for that purpose. Some people understand that. Others, alas, don't and never have.
In other words, Canon made a deliberate, conscious marketing decision to not extend what the M-system could have been. If you want to know what an M-flagship camera could have been, look at the OM-1. The only things that are givens with the M-system are the lens mount and sensor size.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Yes, there are a few mark 1's in stock still, but when sold they are not replenished. Mark 2 by contrast is widely in stock online and in retail stores and is being regularly replenished.
So where is your proof for anything? How long will the 6DII be produced? Maybe it isn't in production anymore. I don't know, do you? It is indeed unlikely but maybe the 6DI is still in production. I don't know, do you?

It's not asking a lot for a little credibility in postings to substantiate what otherwise looks like complete speculation
What credibility do you expect? There will be no evidence or fact to prove you or I are right. It is all about likelihood.

We all know the M series will eventually be replaced, it's looking like small RF-s cameras will take their place
With the arrival of the R7/R10 and (even more important) RF-S lenses this process already started. You don't trust canon rumors but if I remember right canon watch was first mentioning the rumored R100. Do you really think it would be wise to produce M200 and an assumed R100 simultaniously? Maybe the stock of M200 is already high enough to satisfy the customers till R100 is in production. Specualtion - yes. But not unlikely.

Claiming something is dead is easy - being right within a reasonable timeframe is hard, and there have been posts declaring the death of M for a very long time with apparently very little substance in the real world.
R7 and R10 with two lenses is already enough substance. You say later - I say sooner. Precise enough?

and which causes real harm to Canon's business as well as the businesses of their stockists.
False. Two years ago the majority of comments was against cropped RF cameras and esp. against RF-S lenses.
If your statement was right Canon would had never made the mistake(?!) in developing products the community was against.
As long as people are interested in rumors sites like CR it is always a benefit for the manufacturer no matter what they write.
If something is a threat (like RF-S to M) is only a question the customers should ask.

Do you really think telling people not to buy those 100,000 units of "dead technology" will accelerate release of new models? No, quite the opposite, Canon will wait until stock dwindles if they are smart.
True. But what made you think I'm against this statement? By the way: Personally I'm not interested in something like the R100. I'm only interested in RF-S lenses. How likely is it that new lenses will come to the R100? How likely is it that new lenses will come to the M200?

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Canon Japan lists their discontinued products:

The M6 II is on the list. The M200 is not yet on it, but if you visit the canon.jp web store you'll see that none of the product links allow an M200/kit to be added to a cart. You can still buy M50 II kits (called Kiss M2 there). That happened with the M6II as well, before it showed up on the Discontinued Products page.
That should be the end of the arguments here.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
I've had my eye on a silver M6 II for ages, but alas they've disappeared from retailers here in NZ and vanished from my B&H wishlist a few days ago.

If the lenses are still in production I would love to see one last all-out M camera before RF takes over. Canon did this with the EOS 300X film camera, giving their entry-level camera many features of the enthusiast range like the 1/4000s shutter speed and 7 AF points. The same sort of happened with the EOS 850D which has the rear wheel and AF-on button from the higher end series.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
The reality of the EOS M system is that Canon didn't put serious resources behind it. It was designed and developed by the PowerShot team, not the EOS team. It's almost like they never spoke to each other.

To some extent this is true of EF-S as well. The big resources were behind EF, not EF-S. Yes we did see some excellent EF-S lenses early on, but then things petered out. We never got to see updates to the 15-85 or 17-55, for example.
It'll be interesting to see what will happen to RF-S. Right now there are two zooms adapted from the M line. Will Canon create some new glass for crop sensors? I think time will tell.
One difference between M + EF-S and RF-S is that the M and EF-S mounts are open to third-party offerings (of which there are plenty), but RF-S is Canon only. Will R7 and R10 users get new native glass, or will these users be using EF-S (Canon and third-party) with an adapter? Will Canon put resources behind RF-S?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Right now there are two zooms adapted from the M line.
Only one adapted. The RF-S 18-150 is adapted from the EF-M lens, it’s actually the same optics packaged in a new barrel.

The RF-S 18-45 is a new design, not based on either the EF-M 15-45 or the older EF-M 18-55. The RF-S standard zoom seems to combine the worst of the M kit lenses – a more restrictive focal range (the intersection of the two ranges), and slower (on the wide end or throughout the range, respectively). The only advantage I see to the RF-S 18-45 over the M kit zooms is one that benefits only Canon – it’s a simpler design with a lot less glass (or moulded plastic, as the case may be) that should be cheaper to produce.

Will Canon create some new glass for crop sensors? I think time will tell.
I think many people would be happy with EF-M ports, they could do what they did with the 18-150 to the M11-22, M22/2 and other M lenses.

But Canon knows how well or poorly those higher-spec EF-M lenses sold. If poorly, it wouldn’t surprise me to see few more RF-S lenses, perhaps even just a UWA zoom and no primes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
A lower end RP has been rumoured for a long time now. A replacement for the M200 with FF sensor would be welcomed as a second body even without an EVF and perhaps no mechanical shutter similar to the Sigma f/fp concept.

The RF-S lenses are still missing a wide angle prime/zoom. I have never understood why this was not part of the R7/R10 release.
The EF-M 11-22mm could easily be repackaged into a RF-S mount... otherwise the only alternative is adapted EF-S wide angle lenses.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
So it seems to be in internal design constraint imposed by Canon.
I can't see any technical reason for the constraint. Maybe, just maybe, it was part of an agreement made between various factions within Canon to prevent the M-system from seriously competing with the EOS and R mount cameras.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I can't see any technical reason for the constraint.
Nor can I. More likely an aesthetic constraint, which can be very important in a Japanese company. The lenses are all the same size as the outer diameter as the mount itself, which ensures a small overall system size. That was one of Canon’s explicit goals for the system.

Maybe, just maybe, it was part of an agreement made between various factions within Canon to prevent the M-system from seriously competing with the EOS and R mount cameras.
That seems unlikely. The M system launched in 2012, so not competing with R mount cameras that didn’t launch until 2018 doesn’t make much sense. If the goal was not to compete seriously with EF mount cameras that was ultimately a failure since 30% of cameras Canon now sells are M (more than the 20% R and 10% P&S, and not far off the 40% DLSR).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Attachments

• discontinued.JPG
    discontinued.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Maybe you should ask, or do a search, before acting this way. https://www.canonnews.com/the-canon-m6-mark-ii-is-discontinued-in-japan

There's a search engine called "Google" that is very helpful. The photo shows that B&H lists it as discontinued. The USA is probably one of the biggest markets.
Actuall B&H does NOT show it discontinued. Maybe you need to clear your cache. B&H sales support stated that it has not been discontinued in the USA. Canonnews.com gets their info from Canon Rumors. Canon Rumors has been trying to kill off the M system for nearly a decade. Consistantly being wrong. Every time, Canon releases another M50 or M6 Read the arquives. Canon will probably release and M6 MK 3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
I've had my eye on a silver M6 II for ages, but alas they've disappeared from retailers here in NZ and vanished from my B&H wishlist a few days ago.

If the lenses are still in production I would love to see one last all-out M camera before RF takes over. Canon did this with the EOS 300X film camera, giving their entry-level camera many features of the enthusiast range like the 1/4000s shutter speed and 7 AF points. The same sort of happened with the EOS 850D which has the rear wheel and AF-on button from the higher end series.

I was looking earlier today on all Canon MILC's and Adorama has the M6ii silver top model you are looking for in stock as "close out" so check it out, they a large distributor and are also in NYC competing with BH.

Upvote 0