Review: EOS M System

I have just completed a thorough review of the EOS M and a lot of its components:

http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/09/canon-eos-m-review/

The review includes an examination of the EF - EF-M adapter and EF lenses on the M, the 90EX Speedlite, and the use of multiple adapters for Legacy Lenses like M42 and Konica mounts. The EF-M 22mm f/2 is only native lens included in the review at the moment, but I will be updating it later this week after the EF-M 18-55mm STM lens arrives.

Thanks for the detailed review. I do appreciate that you've added lots of good images, which is very helpful for me to understand what can be done with this little package.

For baggage-size-limited trips by plane the EOS-M becomes more and more of a compelling option with its now reduced prices. When the EOS-M first came out I was quite cautious about it, but it slowly looks better and better to me.

Upvote 0
AmbientLight said:
Thanks for the detailed review. I do appreciate that you've added lots of good images, which is very helpful for me to understand what can be done with this little package.

For baggage-size-limited trips by plane the EOS-M becomes more and more of a compelling option with its now reduced prices. When the EOS-M first came out I was quite cautious about it, but it slowly looks better and better to me.

That's a very good application of the camera. It won't be replacing my "real" kit, but it does provide a compelling option in certain situations.

Upvote 0
tx for the comprehensive review, I agree w/most of your points.

Have had it for 3 months and added the M -18-55 IS STM

IQ is on the par w/the 60D, 650D, etc. 18-55 (M) clearly better build and better IQ than the 18-55 EF-S II.

Size is great as a second body or carry around. I don't miss the flash. A built in would be so small and close to the lens it would be useless. I bought a Sunpak for about 39.00. I "autobracket" a lot and I find that it's actually faster 2 get the 3 frames off than on the D series and of course much much quieter.

I hate the controls/menu system. Shifting back and forth from the D-series, I can't train myself to press the right buttons on the M. It's almost random. Sometimes you press "info" once, sometimes twice. So many ways to change settings, but none of them intuitive. I don't like the fact that you can't see the highlight warning light blink when image is full screen. That's same on the Rebel Series, but on the on the D's you can see it. Would like more ISO choices(eg,640...not just 400,800) and more custom functions.

Agree that a hinged screen would make this much more useful for overhead shots, etc

Don't like image review/playback. doesn't seem to be a button to zoom(pinch to zoom works)

Overall happy w/the investment. If an improved version came out, I'd consider it in a couple of years. In essence, the custom functions,etc are more in line w/the Rebels than the D's and would like to see it ratched up.

Upvote 0

axtstern

EOS M(ediochre)
Jun 12, 2012
Hello Dustin,

in my 4 Weeks in southeast asia post here on the forum I have started to tell a little about the 11-22mm and since this 4 week trip it made me kick my Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 out of my camera bag.

While being not the fastest lens on earth it makes me consider if my above mentioned Tokina and 2 Sigmas The 24mm 1.8 and the 30mm 1.4 should go to ebay.

My only Points to critisize: The idea to make a retractable lens always makes me realy use this Feature and than loose the 2 seconds when something jumps my eye and the fact that it is an uphill battle to get a lens shade for it (not mentioning the price for that simple piece of plastic)

Upvote 0
samkatz said:
tx for the comprehensive review, I agree w/most of your points.

Have had it for 3 months and added the M -18-55 IS STM

IQ is on the par w/the 60D, 650D, etc. 18-55 (M) clearly better build and better IQ than the 18-55 EF-S II.

Size is great as a second body or carry around. I don't miss the flash. A built in would be so small and close to the lens it would be useless. I bought a Sunpak for about 39.00. I "autobracket" a lot and I find that it's actually faster 2 get the 3 frames off than on the D series and of course much much quieter.

I hate the controls/menu system. Shifting back and forth from the D-series, I can't train myself to press the right buttons on the M. It's almost random. Sometimes you press "info" once, sometimes twice. So many ways to change settings, but none of them intuitive. I don't like the fact that you can't see the highlight warning light blink when image is full screen. That's same on the Rebel Series, but on the on the D's you can see it. Would like more ISO choices(eg,640...not just 400,800) and more custom functions.

Agree that a hinged screen would make this much more useful for overhead shots, etc

Don't like image review/playback. doesn't seem to be a button to zoom(pinch to zoom works)

Overall happy w/the investment. If an improved version came out, I'd consider it in a couple of years. In essence, the custom functions,etc are more in line w/the Rebels than the D's and would like to see it ratched up.

I definitely agree with a lot of your points. The one about the ISO options is a big one to me, too. The difference in noise between 800 and 1600, for example, is significant. Your point about a built in flash is right on, IMO.

Upvote 0
axtstern said:
Hello Dustin,

in my 4 Weeks in southeast asia post here on the forum I have started to tell a little about the 11-22mm and since this 4 week trip it made me kick my Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 out of my camera bag.

While being not the fastest lens on earth it makes me consider if my above mentioned Tokina and 2 Sigmas The 24mm 1.8 and the 30mm 1.4 should go to ebay.

My only Points to critisize: The idea to make a retractable lens always makes me realy use this Feature and than loose the 2 seconds when something jumps my eye and the fact that it is an uphill battle to get a lens shade for it (not mentioning the price for that simple piece of plastic)

That is great to hear. I've got another photographer friend that has the lens and loves it. I am still debating as to whether or not I'm personally invested enough in the system to add a $400+ lens for it when I have WA options on other bodies. The one complaint that anyone has had about the lens is the one that you make about the retracting function.

I personally want to see more fast primes for the M for one big reason (other than size): the M's high ISO performance doesn't impress me, so having faster glass where you can shoot at lower ISOs is more important than, say, on my 6D bodies (which I have plenty of fast glass for anyway!)

Upvote 0
Pieces Of E said:
I'm a bit confused. Are we supposed to comment on the images or the heavily post processed use of filters and HDR here? ::)

As Paul said, this isn't very constructive. To answer your question, though, the primary reason that I have continued to post pictures here is twofold:

1) I typically post them in conjunction with a comment on either functionality or a lens combination not really addressed in the review. The pictures are typically processed because I am just posting links to pictures that I have shared on Flickr that reflect my view/brand in the marketplace (one that has served me well, I might add). I included some unprocessed images as part of the review; I am not going to continue to produce pictures specifically for this thread.

2) This particular review has had very little discussion and, frankly, I am keeping the thread alive in hopes of getting more dialogue going.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
Constructive.

@ Paul - LOL. Awesome.

@ Dustin - Thanks for taking the time. This post/review would have actually helped me a lot if I were still looking at buying one (already have one). I think it will definitely be very eye opening and/or informative to many others. Also, awesome work as usual. Keep the images coming.

Upvote 0