Review: EOS M System

wickidwombat said:
is there a new ML for the new firmware? I didn't reinstall ML after the firmware update

Yes, check this link. Click on the description of the video to get the guys files. He put the files all in one easy place to make the installation process easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5Zwt_Nwa4

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Zv said:
wickidwombat said:
is there a new ML for the new firmware? I didn't reinstall ML after the firmware update

Yes, check this link. Click on the description of the video to get the guys files. He put the files all in one easy place to make the installation process easier.

+1 ... I followed that video and its links to download and install ML on my EOS.

Upvote 0
I like the camera but find changing settings difficult. Yesterday I had it out and wanted to take a custom white balance. First had to change to manual focus (buried in a menu and had to use touch), take the shot with the WB filter on, then turn AF back on, then find the Set Custom WB setting, then navigate to Use Custom WB setting. Frustrating and took far too long. Whereas on my 5D I can get it done in about 5 or 10 seconds and it's an intuitive process. Also the lack of a viewfinder makes it difficult to see many shots.

But the size, versatility and IQ combination can't be beat.

Upvote 0
FunPhotons said:
I like the camera but find changing settings difficult. Yesterday I had it out and wanted to take a custom white balance. First had to change to manual focus (buried in a menu and had to use touch), take the shot with the WB filter on, then turn AF back on, then find the Set Custom WB setting, then navigate to Use Custom WB setting. Frustrating and took far too long. Whereas on my 5D I can get it done in about 5 or 10 seconds and it's an intuitive process. Also the lack of a viewfinder makes it difficult to see many shots.

But the size, versatility and IQ combination can't be beat.

Put those settings in "my menu" (green star) so they're easier to find.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
wickidwombat said:

Thanks for the link Zv! This video and links make the installation process easy. I had tried to install earlier but wasn't successful. I got ML installed late last night and look forward to trying it out this weekend.

Upvote 0
bholliman said:
Zv said:
wickidwombat said:

Thanks for the link Zv! This video and links make the installation process easy. I had tried to install earlier, but wasn't successful. I got ML installed late last night and look forward to trying it out this weekend.

You're welcome!

I received my FD to EOS M adaptor today and I've been playing with a FD 50mm 1.4 today, using the focus peaking on ML is so helpful when focusing. I'm still figuring out ML but I mainly installed it for the overlays. A little tip - switch to Monochrome picture style when using focus peaking to see the red dots easier.

What lenses you using with yours? Native M ones or something more exotic?

Upvote 0
ninjapeps said:
I wanna try using ML on my EOS M but I'm hesitant to use an alpha build. Can ML be removed easily?

It lives on your memory card so yes it can be formatted and erased very easily. Read the ML website instructions and guidelines about installing and removing it first though. Don't take my word for it. (I don't want to be held responsible!)

There is risk involved as with most things electronic; things can go wrong. However, if I was to choose a camera to test the water with ML for the first time, the EOS M would be a good candidate because it's relatively cheap. The alpha build seems quite stable, I'm not seeing any major bugs. Sometimes the preview screen doesn't want to zoom when pinched (This could be due to me using a manual only lens).

The question you need to ask yourself is "do you NEED magic lantern?"

The first time I tried to install it I cocked it up and I thought I broke it! I didn't panic much but there were a few minutes of self loathing! :p

Removing the battery as soon as possible is recommended if things go wrong!

Note - after I watched the Youtube video I posted and followed those instructions, it worked.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Such a great option for traveling light, particularly with the 22mm:

This was taken in Rome.

Dear Mr. Dustin .
Your Great Photo is change my Idea, and I already Order Canon EOS-M with 22 mm/ F/ 2.0 and Canon EOS-M Mount Adapter.
THANKSSSSS.
Surapon

Upvote 0
Zv said:
I received my FD to EOS M adaptor today and I've been playing with a FD 50mm 1.4 today, using the focus peaking on ML is so helpful when focusing. I'm still figuring out ML but I mainly installed it for the overlays. A little tip - switch to Monochrome picture style when using focus peaking to see the red dots easier.

What lenses you using with yours? Native M ones or something more exotic?

I use the EF-M 22/2 90% of the time, really a terrific little lens! I plan to buy a EF-M 18-55 at some point. Nothing exotic, but I also use my EF 50 1.4, 85 1.8 and 24-70 2.8 II with the M. The 50 1.4 makes a nice portrait lens on the M, but locking AF can be a challenge at times, I normally just manually focus it.

Thanks for the tip on picture style, I have been experimenting with focus peaking this morning but struggled to see the dots in bright light.

Upvote 0
I was really excited to see this lens coming for one huge reason: towards the end of the video I saw this and took a screenshot of it:

This is the first third party lens I have seen that supports the EOS-M mount. That's exciting, because it speaks to at least some confidence that the mount isn't going to be abandoned. I've already put in a request to review the lens when it launched in an M mount, so here's hoping that will happen.

Attachments

• EOS-M Mount.JPG
    EOS-M Mount.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 619
Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
I was really excited to see this lens coming for one huge reason: towards the end of the video I saw this and took a screenshot of it:

This is the first third party lens I have seen that supports the EOS-M mount. That's exciting, because it speaks to at least some confidence that the mount isn't going to be abandoned. I've already put in a request to review the lens when it launched in an M mount, so here's hoping that will happen.

I thought that Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS and 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS Reflex Mirror Lens was the first third party lenses for Canon M mount.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
ninjapeps said:
I wanna try using ML on my EOS M but I'm hesitant to use an alpha build. Can ML be removed easily?

It lives on your memory card so yes it can be formatted and erased very easily. Read the ML website instructions and guidelines about installing and removing it first though. Don't take my word for it. (I don't want to be held responsible!)

There is risk involved as with most things electronic; things can go wrong. However, if I was to choose a camera to test the water with ML for the first time, the EOS M would be a good candidate because it's relatively cheap. The alpha build seems quite stable, I'm not seeing any major bugs. Sometimes the preview screen doesn't want to zoom when pinched (This could be due to me using a manual only lens).

The question you need to ask yourself is "do you NEED magic lantern?"

The first time I tried to install it I cocked it up and I thought I broke it! I didn't panic much but there were a few minutes of self loathing! :p

Removing the battery as soon as possible is recommended if things go wrong!

Note - after I watched the Youtube video I posted and followed those instructions, it worked.
Okay, thanks. The only feature I actually want from it is focus peaking. I didn't even know what that was until I saw DigitalRev's review of the Sony A7/A7R.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
I always enjoy your PP skill TWI by Dustin Abbott :).

With 2 kids (2 &5yrs), I wish I can have some spare times and learn how PP digital images.

wickidwombat said:
dustin... i'm still waiting for you to write a book on your post processing workflow so i can buy it :D

nice review BTW much better than my crap attempt when i first got it :p

Tell you what: in the meantime I will try to find a place to share links to the tutorials I write for various publications. I've got a series of three articles that will go live shortly that I did for Alien Skin.

The downside: when I post those kinds of links I invariably get blasted by some posters here for blatant self promotion. Guess you can't please everyone.

I also like the PP on these photos. If you could share these links, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you also for the review. It's nice to see what the M can do in good hands :).

Upvote 0
ecka said:

I thought that Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS and 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS Reflex Mirror Lens was the first third party lenses for Canon M mount.

I checked the Samyang site, and you are right, although I've not yet seen a retailer selling them in that mount.

Upvote 0