Safari Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 40D that is about 4 years old. We are going on a safri trip this summer. My current lenses are 24-105 4L and a 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS The f stops are not all that fantastic, even though they were not inexpensive. My question is should I be happy with my lenses as are and get a FF 5D(hopefuly new one is not THAT much more than the current) or look at getting a faster prime lens such as the Canon 24 f/1.4L.

My oher interest are primarily very still photos, landscape and people

T

Tijn

I think those are great lenses and a FF body will do you very well. It'll improve the usability of those lenses. Cut a bit into the long end of the 100-400, but should still be quite enough for safari wildlife. Your "low" f-stops will be nicely compensated for by the full frame sensor giving you higher ISO performance and shallower DOF for more 'pop'. And when shooting (safari) landscape, you'll be stopping down anyways.

Might want to wait a month or three for a possible 5D mk2 price drop if the mk3 is indeed released on a short notice.

Upvote 0
K

Kiran

bohaiboy said:
I have a 40D that is about 4 years old. We are going on a safri trip this summer. My current lenses are 24-105 4L and a 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS The f stops are not all that fantastic, even though they were not inexpensive. My question is should I be happy with my lenses as are and get a FF 5D(hopefuly new one is not THAT much more than the current) or look at getting a faster prime lens such as the Canon 24 f/1.4L.

For safari trip, your 100 - 400 IS should be more than fine, f 4.5-5.6 are pleanty for day time pictures and with that range you should be able to get some tight pictures

For people I like wider aperture just to separate them from the background and get some nice bokeh agin with your 24 - 105 f/4 is good enough for that, this is a good range for walk around as well

You will be using faster lens like f/1.4L in the safari only if there is some indoor display of snakes, birds, butterflies etc. I think 24 mm is not enough reach in a safari but works great for landscape but again for landscapes you don't need a fast lens

Upvote 0

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011
bohaiboy said:

Hi there,
I was in Tanzania back in 2010, and took a 40D too. I had a 10-22 and the older 80-200mm 2.8L with a 2x. Yes, you will need the the 400 range and more for birds and some other animals. In most cases, it will bright enough, meaning you will be able to use the lens wide open in the morning or at dusk and closing down and/or using low iso during the day. I do recommend an UWA lens - the 10-22 for the crop body does wonders, as the lens distortion is not the worst - not a bad as the 15mm F.E. on ff. You will need the wide angles for landscaping - yes, africa is big and with wide spaces, but even at 17mm not everything will "fit" in.
The 24-105(36-170 on 1.6x) will cover most of people and closer animals shots. The 100-400 will do a good job on most animals, except in heavy shade situations; so in my opnion, you need to cover below the 36mm range - hence the 10-22mm.
No question you will benefit with a ff body, and your kit still works very well with one, but in that case you would need the 17-40 or 16-35 lens.
IF you can, rent the 5dc or 5d2 with the 16-35 or 17-40 combo - too many chances to shoot, but probably not so many chances to go in safari every year :)
besides, you want to avoid lens changes while on the safari - bumps, shakes and plenty of dust all the time

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.