Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye

Re: Samyang 8 mm f/3.5 fisheye lens

2nd that - very good value for the price. It's fully manual, but fisheye lenses have such depth of field, it's easy to focus.

Only issue I have with the lens is purple fringing, e.g. in the upper left corner of scrappydog's 2nd photo, where the dark branches are seen against the clouds. I tried to fix it with photoshop's lens correction, and couldn't. If anyone knows how to do it, please let me know, either in messages or in this thread (would that be appropriate ?).

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2012

I have the Pro-Optic flavor of this lens and find it fun to play with, both stills and time lapse. I de-clicked it for video. A fisheye is something I would not want to spend a lot of money on but I was happy with the price.
I used it with a 40D to take a time lapse of my homemade motorized slider in action, which was carrying a 60D with a Tokina 11-16/2.8 attached.

I don't know the policy on linking to / embedding youtube videos here on CR, so change 'yertube' in the pseudo-links below to 'youtube' to make them work

Text from fisheye video, which is at

yertube.com/watch?v=KHzBE5y08DQ

Home made slider running for about 7 hours. Taken with Canon 40D and RokSamBow 8mm fisheye. One 15 second exposure every minute. On the slider is a 60D taking three 15 second exposures per minute. Note my neighbor's TRULY ANNOYING security light, I'll have to ask her nicely to aim it in a different direction or shield it. The timelapse made with this setup is at yertube.com/watch?v=WBwNGcLGH1g

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011

emag said:
I have the Pro-Optic flavor of this lens and find it fun to play with, both stills and time lapse. I de-clicked it for video. A fisheye is something I would not want to spend a lot of money on but I was happy with the price.
I used it with a 40D to take a time lapse of my homemade motorized slider in action, which was carrying a 60D with a Tokina 11-16/2.8 attached.

I don't know the policy on linking to / embedding youtube videos here on CR, so change 'yertube' in the pseudo-links below to 'youtube' to make them work

Text from fisheye video, which is at

yertube.com/watch?v=KHzBE5y08DQ

Home made slider running for about 7 hours. Taken with Canon 40D and RokSamBow 8mm fisheye. One 15 second exposure every minute. On the slider is a 60D taking three 15 second exposures per minute. Note my neighbor's TRULY ANNOYING security light, I'll have to ask her nicely to aim it in a different direction or shield it. The timelapse made with this setup is at yertube.com/watch?v=WBwNGcLGH1g

I don't know that I want to, but how do you de-click it?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2012

JD - To de-click, remove the mount on the rear of the lens. Lift up the aperture ring and remove the tiny detent ball and spring and reassemble. I'd recommend doing this over a container, once that detent ball is dropped it's gone forEVER; I disassemble lenses inside a large plastic container for just that reason. I stuck it to a small piece of tape and left it inside the lens under the mount just in case I want to reinstall it. I have a collection of old lenses sans detent ball from the days before I had the good sense to disassemble inside a container.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011

emag said:
JD - To de-click, remove the mount on the rear of the lens. Lift up the aperture ring and remove the tiny detent ball and spring and reassemble. I'd recommend doing this over a container, once that detent ball is dropped it's gone forEVER; I disassemble lenses inside a large plastic container for just that reason. I stuck it to a small piece of tape and left it inside the lens under the mount just in case I want to reinstall it. I have a collection of old lenses sans detent ball from the days before I had the good sense to disassemble inside a container.
Thanks... seems easy enough...

Upvote 0