M10 won't work with Manual lenses?

I purchased a 7atrizans 4mm fisheye lens. It's the widest fisheye lens available at 225 degrees. I did not have a camera in ANY of the available mounts, but I'm a canon shooter so I chose the EF-M line. I purchased a used M10 body on eBAY.

The lens fits just fine and of course is a manual everything lens, it has no electrical connections. The camera displays the image from the lens, but will not take a photo. I've searched through the menus looking for an option to work with manual lenses (or no lens) but can't find anything.

Is it possible there is no way to use this lens with this camera?

Aug 10, 2021
It's what Neuro said. I had the same problem when I tried an adapter for old Pentax lenses.
you should try to download the manual and read it, but first I found a page explaining what you need to do towards the middle.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART164559

and the manual is on this page. look for "EOS M10 Camera User Guide"

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-m10#idReference=manuals

Hope you're satisfied with the lens and please tell us your thoughts on the lens and / or share some photos with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thank you, yes, there was a setting for operation with no lens. Custom Functions III.2. I had searched the manual for "no lens" and "manual lens", but Canon uses "w/o lens" lens to describe the setting.

The camera is now taking photos. I will try to find a good subject tomorrow and report back. This lens is supposed to shoot at 225 degrees wide similar to the legendary Nikon 6mm. There is one of those on ebay right now for $151,022.30. I paid $109 for the 7artizans so a small savings.

It's frustrating that you can't use this lens on an RF body. The EF-M flange distance is 18mm, and RF is 20mm, so you need an adapter that is -2mm thick. :cry: I did remove the EF-M mount and held the lens against my R3 to take some photos and got some images. Slightly fuzzy, but close. I may explore this further.

Upvote 0
There is a Venus Optics Laowa lens that might be the same for RF. I think because it's apsc, it won't be great to use it on R3
Thanks, that lens is available for the RF mount and they are both listed as being 4mm lenses. But 7atrizans claims 225 degrees wide, and Venus Optics says 210.

Here is a video where a comparison is done, and they do find the 7artizans lens to be noticeably wider. :

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Thanks, that lens is available for the RF mount and they are both listed as being 4mm lenses. But 7atrizans claims 225 degrees wide, and Venus Optics says 210.

Here is a video where a comparison is done, and they do find the 7artizans lens to be noticeably wider. :
Thanks for the video. Interesting that they don't say 3.5mm. Does you body have a grip that will show like in his photos?

Upvote 0
OK so my 1st test images. This thing is wide! Much wider than the 8-15mm fisheye. That's a big plus.

On the downside, the image circle is small even on th 1.6X cropped sensor of the M10. You can see it does not come real close to the top and bottom of the Frame. I'm holding the camera with the front of the lens just above the fence.

IMG_1726 2 copy.jpg

1H7A8336 copy.jpg

Upvote 0