Sony Medium Format Camera

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
I would definitely be interested in learning more about this.

I really like what Sony has been doing of late with regards to their cameras (and phones), and I expect to see more and more of them in the pro field as we move forward.

They need to expand their lens line, offer new pro models etc. But a US$5,000 MF camera would be of interest for sure. I voted, "Yes".

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
wickidwombat said:
From a business standpoint I don't get it

Getting into a niche market that is also struggling to make money....
+1 ... Although I like what Sony is trying to do with all sorts of innovative stuff, I think they are not doing it because of "innovation" per se, but it seems more out of desperation to stay afloat, hoping one of their "innovations" click with the consumers ... unfortunately, going by their past, they are fickle minded when it comes to dropping an entire product lines at the drop of a hat.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Although I like what Sony is trying to do with all sorts of innovative stuff, I think they are not doing it because of "innovation" per se, but it seems more out of desperation to stay afloat, hoping one of their "innovations" click with the consumers ... unfortunately, going by their past, they are fickle minded when it comes to dropping an entire product lines at the drop of a hat.

I think their camera line is a little different from their laptop line for example, and I really think it is a market (especially the pro) that Sony is trying to get into more and more. Don't Sony make most of the sensors that not only go into Nikon's but most new MF cameras on sale today?

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
expatinasia said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Although I like what Sony is trying to do with all sorts of innovative stuff, I think they are not doing it because of "innovation" per se, but it seems more out of desperation to stay afloat, hoping one of their "innovations" click with the consumers ... unfortunately, going by their past, they are fickle minded when it comes to dropping an entire product lines at the drop of a hat.

I think their camera line is a little different from their laptop line for example, and I really think it is a market (especially the pro) that Sony is trying to get into more and more. Don't Sony make most of the sensors that not only go into Nikon's but most new MF cameras on sale today?
True they make Sensors for several camera manufacturers, but I doubt the Sony line-up of mirrorless or SLT cameras are really cut out for the pro market ... granted their sensors are brilliant but their cameras as a whole package and their very limited lineup of lenses puts them at a disadvantage for a pro to consider replacing their DSLR ... having seen the list of the 15 FE lenses that will be out by the end of 2015, for the a7/R, I see that the mirrorless cameras are still several years away before professional photographers consider them as a serious tool ... but in the meantime if Sony does not get good sales, I'm afraid that they'd have no choice but to dump it ... I hope it does not come to that, coz I really like my a7 and wish for Sony to do well.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
I don't get the attraction with fixed lenses, it's not like having a mount system changes the fundamentals of the way a camera works. Even if they never release any other lenses it would be good to be able to take the lens off.
Releasing a medium format body is a good idea, they just need to make sure not to cripple the system with a small buffer, sub-standard burst rate (3fps minimum), terrible menus, slow AF, etc...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
wickidwombat said:
From a business standpoint I don't get it
A company that's already bleeding money out of its butt hole
Getting into a niche market that is also struggling to make money....

Your point is right on. Its just someone making up a rumor, Sony is not that stupid. MF companies are disappearing, expensive cameras are not selling, in fact, cameras in general are not selling.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Upvote 0