Thinking about upgrading my 1DX to the MK2

So I've been using two 1DX cameras for the past year now, I love the camera and for the outdoor adventure photography I do it's been a perfect camera, but with the mark 2 out for a while now I was thinking of selling one of them as well as maybe my a7mk2 for the new 1DX mk2.

To those of you who upgraded from the mk1 to the mk2 how was the switch p, and do you think it's worth upgrading? The only reason I'm thinking of even doing it is because I bought the 1DX for around 3000 euros and I think I could still get at least that hopefully.

Let me know what you guys think

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sascha.
Are you looking to upgrade because you think that the time is short to sell your mkI for what you paid or because you want / need more from your camera?
Has the mkII been out long enough for the price to drop and stabilise from the initial 'early adopter' point? Not much point in paying too much depreciation!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Sascha.
Are you looking to upgrade because you think that the time is short to sell your mkI for what you paid or because you want / need more from your camera?
Has the mkII been out long enough for the price to drop and stabilise from the initial 'early adopter' point? Not much point in paying too much depreciation!

Cheers, Graham.

Both I guess, I feel like having 3 main cameras has come to a point where I'd like to move to a simpler two camera set up and the way i see it selling my 1dx mark 1 now before it goes down more in value would be the best choice as well as the extra 2mp bump would be nice as well

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
What is it you photograph most and is there anything you are looking for more of over your current 1Dx?

Most? outdoor adventure stuff in very cold places like the north of Norway and Iceland, I mainly am looking for better high ISO and mp but mp aren't the most important thing as I also carry my 5DS with me.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I can't speak to the 1DX I, but I have been very happy upgrading from the 5D to the 1DX II. However, my understanding is that you won't see much of an improvement at higher ISOs, the sensor improvements are primarily in improved dynamic range at the low end. I was never a "shadow pushing/banding" sort of guy, but I do appreciate working with the files over those of the 5D III, they just seem to be a lot easier to work with.

Valvebounce said:
...Has the mkII been out long enough for the price to drop and stabilize from the initial 'early adopter' point? ...

Before I bought the MK II, I took a hard look at the Canon Price Watch numbers and also did a search for specials around Thanksgiving to Christmas, basically I concluded that the 1D X saw almost no price drop until about three years in and could find no bargains around the holidays, so I don't think the "early adopter" issue is as big of a factor with the 1 Series.

Upvote 0