Thoughts on the lower verison of the R

SaP34US

EOS T7i
Aug 21, 2018
1. Autofocus points 3,000-4,000 points
2. IBIS 3-5 axis stabilization (don't care)
3. 5 stops +/- of DR (don't care)
4. 26MP
5. 1600-1900 US$

dak723

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 26, 2013
I doubt there wil be a lower version of the R. The R seems to be the mirrorless 6D equivalent. I would therefore expect a 5D equivalent and a high-end 1D equivalent. And if rumors are correct, a higher MP 5DSR version. I can't see more than 4 FF versions happening anytime soon, or perhaps ever.

But...who knows?

Reactions: jd7

padam

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 26, 2015
A more modern, shrunk down 6D II makes a lot of sense(some hobbyists don't even care with micro-adjustment on their lenses, which won't be needed anymore), they will try to invite more people in the system with a cheaper body and a smaller, cheaper 24-70/4 kit lens. I guess it won't have the screen or the EVF quality of the EOS R (not great, but at least the battery drain should be lower) and it may skimp on 4k as well(but maybe with the new processor it will get it with the lesser IPB codec and without C-Log), but still capable as a stills camera.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
It is certainly possible that we would see a true beginner level FF mirrorless, the R falls between a 6D and a 5D MK IV, so thgere is plenty of room for a lower model in the $1500 range. We could see a model with T7 construction and features. It certainly would not have IBIS, maybe not a evf either .

jolyonralph

Kodak Brownie
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Well, what we could see is a mirrorless the size and body build of the x00D series, no weather-sealing, no top LCD display and stylistically more like a slightly expanded EOS M5.

As for the features that are available it won't miss out on anything that the M5 or M50 have, so it will have 4K but cropped, but yes a lower codec.

It might even be possible that this becomes the first Canon FF digital to have a built-in flash.

I'd predict a kit lens even cheaper than a 24-70 f/4L - I think a non-L kit lens. Perhaps an RF mount equivalent of the 24-105 STM, or something even cheaper like an RF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Although I wouldn't expect its release quite so soon, let's not rule out an APS-C R camera. Canon currently has its hands full producing RF lenses for the current FF R, but I think it is inevitable that a crop version will be offered at some point.