Traveling abroad with photography equipment

Thanks for your comments guys.

I'll just be traveling with my family to various parts of UP. Not really a tourist trip, rather visiting family for ~2 short weeks. But, I'm sure there will be some photo opportunities in-between. That being said, do you recommend just taking the 24-105mm f/4L IS and the 50mm f/1.4? I'm not sure how useful the 70-200mm f/4L IS will be, and despite how light of a telephoto it is, it still takes up space and is another thing I have to lug around. I also have the 17-40mm f/4L and the 100mm f/2.8L IS macro lenses (neither of which I was planning to take).

I just called my renter's insurance company, and they told me that my camera gear is covered under my policy. But, the suggested I add a rider which details the equipment being covered, for ~$1 per $100 of coverage. The main advantage is that I won't have to pay the deductible ($250) on my renter's policy, incase something happens. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Chewy734 said:
That being said, do you recommend just taking the 24-105mm f/4L IS and the 50mm f/1.4? I'm not sure how useful the 70-200mm f/4L IS will be, and despite how light of a telephoto it is, it still takes up space and is another thing I have to lug around. I also have the 17-40mm f/4L and the 100mm f/2.8L IS macro lenses (neither of which I was planning to take).

I find the 70-200mm range to be great for street candids. Here are a few examples from a trip to China:

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM @ 70mm, 1/400 s, f/2.8, ISO 100

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM @ 200mm, 1/160 s, f/4, ISO 125

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM @ 200mm, 1/200 s, f/5.6, ISO 100

Chewy734 said:
I just called my renter's insurance company, and they told me that my camera gear is covered under my policy. But, the suggested I add a rider which details the equipment being covered, for ~$1 per $100 of coverage. The main advantage is that I won't have to pay the deductible ($250) on my renter's policy, incase something happens. What do you guys think?

Do you have that from them in writing? My homeowners policy covers cameras, too...but when you read the policy, you see coverage is only up to $1000. If you have comfirmation in writing that all your gear is covered to the full (ideally, replacement) value by your renters policy, and that the coverage applies in India, I'd say supplemental/rider coverage is not necessary if the only reason is to avoid the deductible in the unlikely event of a loss. But, be sure it's really covered by your renters policy.

Upvote 0
P

phacopsrana

My first post here, but since I travel a lot internationally and domestically, I thought I'd reply.

I have never had problems with my camera gear going through customs, and this includes going through countries where custom officials have been known to ask for "chocolates" to process your form. I currently use a 5D body and carry the 16-35 II, 50 1.4, and the 100-400, along with a carbon Gitzo traveller and RRS-25 head. All this fits in a Lowe backpack.

When asking what to bring, ask yourself what type of photographer you are. Why do I bring the cheapo 50 1.4 everywhere? Because it looks cheap. It can make the 5D series look fairly inconspicuous, and the whole thing can be discreetly tucked away under a loose shirt or jacket. This is important for street photography. People notice they're being photographed with zooms, especially when using The Big White Lenses.

Of the 3 lenses I lug around, if I had to leave one behind, the very easy choice would be the 100-400. It is big, heavy, obvious, and I 'see' better wide than compressed and magnified. Again, that's a personal choice based on what type of stuff I photograph. I use no flash, but since I do a lot of landscapes, filters are a definite must have.

One more thing that is to me essential--the RRS L plate. And not just for the obvious reasons. It serves as a camera protector, another surface to grip, and it even serves as a steady base when tripods are not allowed. I've had very acceptable results 'handholding' the 5D for 3 seconds. I'm not truly handholding it, but I rest it on a stable, flat surface, engage M/UP, hold it firmly and steadily, and fire.

Enjoy the trip. Know thy shooting style and pack according to that.

Upvote 0
Chewy734 said:
I had a question for you guys/gals who travel abroad with your high(er)-end camera equipment.

I'm going to India with my family just for a quick visit (~2.5 weeks) later this month, and I've decided I would like to take my 5D2 along with 2-3 lenses with me (24-105 mm f/4L IS, 50 mm f/1.4, and maybe the 70-200 mm f/4L IS). Since they look arguably look like pro gear (and brand new, since I recently purchased these a couple months ago), I fear that I may have some issues with customs when I arrive there, or when I come back. What do you guys do to make sure that they don't give you any trouble and/or make you pay duties on your own personal equipment?

The other thing I need to think about before I leave is insurance. Since I don't use my camera equipment professionally (i.e., getting paid), and only as a hobby, do you recommend any companies for this (besides State Farm)?

Thanks for your help!

I have traveled to England with my gear and had no trouble at all. Granted when I just had a NIKON S9100 digital camera when i went to england. I used currency online for transferring & converting my money

Upvote 0
Are you an Indian national carrying an Indian passport? If you are, there is a chance you will get questioned about your kit and possibly asked to pay import duties (customs will think you might sell your kit in India). This may be somewhat less now that the prices between India and the US (which is where I assume you are flying from) are close to par now - better than (say) 5-10 years ago. If you do not carry an India passport on the other hand, you should have no worries.

In any case, I will echo the advice of the rest of the group to make sure to carry the invoices with you so you have proof of purchase with you. Bonus points if you can demonstrate that the equipment is not brand new; presumably that means you are not in the buy-it-and-resell-it business :)

Upvote 0
As someone who travels to India often, usually inbound from Changi, I have found it useful to have the Indian customs officer to enter into my passport details of the incoming equipment. This is handy to avoid duty, especially if your arriving airport is not one of the four major cities, since then you are undertaking to the (novice) officer that you will export the stuff on your outbound journey. The other advantage is, if you lose your equipment and need to report the fact to local police, they have a record of your bringing in the stuff legally. When exiting India, request the official to cancel the earlier entry. When re-entering your home country, you should have no problems if you have receipts. Some officers are actually quite chatty when it comes to nice photographic equipment, at least in my opinion. I've had great exchanges with CBP officers and their like in other countries.

You will find India fantastic for your hobby. Street photography offers marvellous opportunities. Most people will be oblivious to the fact that you are snapping away, unless you are in their face. Do not take photographs of people who are in heavily tourist areas without asking permission ... snake charmers, for example.

Look into your prevailing insurance documents, or even drop into a local photo equipment store and talk about insurance providers who are on their list.

Good luck with your trip and enjoy, and don't hesitate to show us the results of your efforts on your return.

Upvote 0
I live in Northern Ireland and while I have taken my gear to many countries, the only place I have ever had "bother" has been flying out of Belfast International here in NI.
It is ALWAYS swabbed for drugs and explosives which means I empty every last thing out of my Lowepro Flipside 300. I mean everything. Memory cards, leads, batteries, cloths, screen protectors etc. A minor inconvenience but I have never had to do this anywhere else around the world and I have been to several places in the US, Egypt, Kenya etc.
Never been asked for invoices or the likes, while carrying 7D, 24-105, 70-200 f/4, 10-20 and 50mm plus flash.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
I travel quite a bit in any given year, mostly Africa, Arctic & Antarctica, but Europe gets a reasonable amount of entry but not yet to India, on my List.

I also travel with a large amount of gear as mostly I Photograph wildlife, so long lenses, I frequently travel with anything up to $50k in gear, I've had 3 Countries where I have had minor issues, Russia (Murmansk) on a North Pole trip, the Russians were a PIA, had to fill in a Declaration form listing all my Gear/Equipment Numbers etc, when I left Russia, also via Murmansk, no one was interested in the Form, go figure. Indonesia, I live here & Singapore so the Indonesians always ask if any of my gear is new, I always say No, they always ask why I have so much Gear, I always say "I'm Lucky", they Laugh & everyones Happy, Australia, not because of the Gear itself but because it's always Hand Carried & the "Nanny State" have their Rules, 11Kilos of Hand Carry in Business Class, no exceptions, so I take out the 1Dx, fit the 300f/2.8, put it all onto a Carry Strap around my neck, and smile, with Customs it's always important to smile.

There's good advice in this thread, Insurance, carry Receipts etc, and these are probably the Key to trouble free travel with gear, I must admit though I've never carried receipts, although I do Insure, what ever you decide to do, Happy & Safe Travels & Good luck with the Photography.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I have occasionally carried the CBP form but never needed so I stopped carrying it.

Tried to get one stamped for my wife who is traveling soon but they needed her there. WHY?? They are verifying the equipment was in the US not who owns it. Typical stupid government agent who does not think.

The only time I have had any questions was entering tanzania one time when some was trying to $ from us as insurance that we would not sell equipment while in the country. Basically a shake down. Not short of a common thief.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Past couple years I've flown maybe ~10-15 times on international flights, and never had any trouble. Last month I was down to Aruba, carrying gripped 5D3, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 50/1.4, Sigma 14/2.8, EF 2x II, Kenko tubes, 430EX, D10, GoPro, chargers for all 3 cameras, big pile of memory cards (~200GB total), some ~20 rechargeable AA batteries, USB-camera-connection kit for iPad, etc. Nothing at the airport, as usually.

I think twice I've been swiped (for the bomb-detection device, don't know what they call it officially). About year ago arriving to Frankfurt, the x-rayed at arrivals. The border agent comes to me, holding my camera bag:

-You speak English or German?
-Both
-Which one you prefer?
-Either one, I don't care
-Is this your bag?
-Yup
-There's quite plenty of equipment inside
-Yup (about same list as above)
-Would you follow me to inspections room
-Ok

There he asked me to open the bag, swiped it with a rag, machine analyze for ~30 seconds, and then he let me go.

Upvote 0
I have travel from the US to Germany, Portugal, Brazil, England, France, Italy, Austria and Vietnam and have not been questioned to date. Last trip had over 30 lbs of gear in a LowPro including a 7D, 5DII and a Xt for the kids to use. 7 lenses (a couple of big white L series) and a flash non of it looks brand new but to date they have never ever looked at my camera bags

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I have traveled extensively with gear including DSLR with 2 or three lenses, 5 batteries, charger, laptop, occasional P&S along with this and my wife's camera with 2 lenses. Trips included everything from Myanmar to Mongolia to Morocco to Nepal to Bhutan to Israel to Egypt to Jordon along with less "exotic" locations. The only time I was hassled in any way, believe it or not, was in the tiny airport in Hilton Head! There, the security agent literally opened all the zippers and began pulling out the velcro'd inserts to check my bag. Everywhere else, I've either just sent it through the scanner or at most, had to take the camera out of the bag and turn it on.

With that in mind, it would be a good idea to have the batteries fully charged in case the inspectors want you to power it up.

Upvote 0
I travel to and from the US to Brazil, South Africa, Germany, Sweden and the UK and the only time I had any questions was last week in LAX, and in the TSA pre-screened line at that. The TSA X-ray guy asked "are those all lenses in that bag with a camera". I said yes. Then he paused, stared at me, gave me a skeptical look and asked "why do you need three lenses for one camera?", then had his back-up TSA guy open the bag. Never had any questions in any other country.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Almost all the airlines outside of U.S. are having weight limit of 7 Kg (15.5 lb) for carry on. Some eevn count thae camera bag as one peice of carry on, not as "personal item". eg. Air Quanta. Once a while, they do enforce the ruleSo just be prepair to have your heavy camera bag to be gate check ( that is what you do not want). Neuro has the right solution. For me I try to keep my camera bag at less tha 12 lbs and put it in alight wiight bag with the odds and ends.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
One other hint......Whatever you are carrying needs to "look" like it is not heavy. I know this sounds silly, but the gate agent is often the one who decides whether a particular bag can come into the cabin. If it seems to be too heavy, they will check. If not, there is usually no problem. I've stuffed quite a bit into a small bag that weighed way more than it looked. Of course, you cannot / should not over-stuff your camera gear.

;)

Upvote 0