*UPDATE* More 5D Mark III / 1D Mark V & Lenses [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Re: More 5D Mark III / 1D Mark V & Lenses [CR2]

mws said:
Canon Rumors said:
24-70 f/2.8L IS
It’s coming and will be announced with a camera body at the end of 2011. I haven’t heard a peep about the lens in a while.

I’m really hoping to hear some more on this, or at least a better idea of the time frame involved.

I recently bought the 70-200 2.8/L II and it’s just freaking amazing. Was hoping that the new 24-70 would comparable in quality. At this rate, I may just have to buy the current 24-70 and sell it once the new one is out, wonder what kind of price hit the current 24-70 will take…..

Anyone have any good suggestions for a lense in this range in the meantime? Right now I have the 28-135 IS that came with my 50D, which I really don’t care for, not all that sharp, and the IS is so useless I leave it turned off.

Unless you're planning on getting a FF body in the very near future, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is a truly excellent lens for a 1.6x body like the 50D. The image quality of the 17-55mm is equivalent to L lenses, although the build quality is not quite at that level. The combination of 17-55mm and the 70-200mm II that you have would give you f/2.8 coverage from 17-200mm.

If you shoot mostly outdoors (or use a flash indoors), you might also consider the EF-S 15-85mm - it's optically excellent and has a broader focal range, with the tradeoff being a variable (and slow) aperture.

Upvote 0
O

Osiris30

CJRodgers said:
@Osiris30

Im saving a camera for the end of the year. I want the 5dmkii because i love the video and photos it produces. All the short films i find shot on this are so inspiring. However if the 5dmkiii was on the horizon with the possibility of reduced moire and aliasing, then i would hold out for it. But if its far too expensive then i wouldnt be able to afford many lenses, so my choice would be the 5d mk ii but i would be worried about the moire and aliasing which is why people keep telling me to get the GH2. But i just love the look from the canons.

I get it, but I think if the MK III is a *big* step up the MK II will likely stay in production. Maybe even get an 'n' designation with a few slight tweaks. The reality is; camera tech is pretty much good enough as it is today for 95% of the shooting population and we're getting into a land of *very* specialized diminishing returns.

Upvote 0
O

Osiris30

Bob Howland said:
Osiris30 said:
Obviously the market is speaking and there apparently just isn't *enough* of a demand for such a thing. If there was Canon would listen to it. That said, don't assume Canon won't add that functionality in other ways with their next FF sensor.

Rather than a Lord of Darkness cam, how about 'One Cam to Rule Them All' ;)

Bob Howland said:
Still no Lord of Darkness camera to compete with the D3s at ISO51,200 and beyond?!? The original D3 was introduced in 2007!

It almost sounds like that is what Canon wants the 1DMk5 to be. As for the level of market demand, I would argue that Canon tried to make us think that the 1DMk4 was their LOD camera by putting in ISO102K. Also, if Canon is moving their 5DMk3 body upmarket, there is no reason why they couldn't use the same body with a different sensor, one optimized for high ISO image quality and dramatically increased dynamic range. Anything over my 5D's 12.8MP would be fine.

I still think you'll see a big MP FF sensor at the top end with pixel binning on chip. This will give you both your super high-res @ base ISO and your insane low light camera... all without need to design/produce two bodies, sensors, etc. Reality is; if you *need* ISO 102,000, you *do not* need 40mp to do it. You aren't going to do billboard shoots @ ISO 102,400. If you are 'smart' you build a sensor that can do both.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010

unfocused said:
dyckim said:
I hope they make the 100-400 at f/4 all the way with twist and turn~
I'd like everything except the $6,000 price tag that would come with it.

maybe a 150-450 f/4-5.6 ... that would clash a lot less with the new 70-300 L, still be fairly portable, and improve on the optics of the current 100-400, without killing your budget. I'm guessing Canon could release one of these with the latest IS version and charge somewhere in the 2000+ range for it

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

unfocused said:
dyckim said:
I hope they make the 100-400 at f/4 all the way with twist and turn~
I'd like everything except the $6,000 price tag that would come with it.

Some of use would pay it, gladly. Hell, I'd pay $10,000 for a 200-500 f/2.8-4, especially if they could keep the maximum aperture at f/2.8 from 200mm to 350mm. (350mm/2.8 = 500mm/4 = 125mm)

Osiris30 said:
Bob Howland said:
Osiris30 said:
Obviously the market is speaking and there apparently just isn't *enough* of a demand for such a thing. If there was Canon would listen to it. That said, don't assume Canon won't add that functionality in other ways with their next FF sensor.

Rather than a Lord of Darkness cam, how about 'One Cam to Rule Them All' ;)

Bob Howland said:
Still no Lord of Darkness camera to compete with the D3s at ISO51,200 and beyond?!? The original D3 was introduced in 2007!

It almost sounds like that is what Canon wants the 1DMk5 to be. As for the level of market demand, I would argue that Canon tried to make us think that the 1DMk4 was their LOD camera by putting in ISO102K. Also, if Canon is moving their 5DMk3 body upmarket, there is no reason why they couldn't use the same body with a different sensor, one optimized for high ISO image quality and dramatically increased dynamic range. Anything over my 5D's 12.8MP would be fine.

I still think you'll see a big MP FF sensor at the top end with pixel binning on chip. This will give you both your super high-res @ base ISO and your insane low light camera... all without need to design/produce two bodies, sensors, etc. Reality is; if you *need* ISO 102,000, you *do not* need 40mp to do it. You aren't going to do billboard shoots @ ISO 102,400. If you are 'smart' you build a sensor that can do both.

Exactly!!! The key phrase is "pixel binning on chip". Unfortunately, I don't know enough about binning to understand how and where it can/should be done.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland said:
Exactly!!! The key phrase is "pixel binning on chip". Unfortunately, I don't know enough about binning to understand how and where it can/should be done.

Even better would be "pixel binning by demosaicing matrix". No issues with aliasing, some additional color resolution, and less wiring that would be prone to cross talk. Add more readout channels to give the amps & AD-converters enough time to do their jobs.

Upvote 0
W

Waleed Essam

Canon Rumors said:
<strong>5D Mark III</strong>

Some more clarification about the upcoming 5D Mark III. It will be moving a bit more high end with an improved 7D AF system. Expect it November/December 2011.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>1D Mark V</strong>

The next version will be moving into the 1Ds territory as the new high end digital SLR. Expect it to be fullframe by the sounds of it. Late 2011/early 2012. No specs finalized yet.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>24-70 f/2.8L IS</strong>

It’s coming and will be announced with a camera body at the end of 2011. I haven’t heard a peep about the lens in a while.
<p><strong>100-400</strong>

An interesting tale about this lens. Apparently the replacement has been canned and is being redesigned.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

It feels a bit weird to me that everything is November/December! Maybe you mean available in markets in Nov/Dec & not announced? I doubt Canon will past PMA 2011 in September without any SLR announcements.

Upvote 0
W

WarStreet

kubelik said:
For me personally, I would absolutely purchase a 5D Mark III for ~$3500 if it comes with 7D AF, even more robust construction, 5 FPS, and some improved video capabilities. A 2/3rd stop improvement in noise and bump in dynamic range should happen as well. Can't wait for the new telephoto lenses to drop first, whatever the manufacturing problem was it sounds pretty major if its holding up the entire canon lineup

This is exactly what I am expecting but with 4fps and doubts about the price. I think it will be available late 2011 or early 2012.

I like Canon strategy of replacing their cameras position, similar of what they did with the 60D. Cameras are finite. What I mean is that there is no need to bypass our eyes resolving power, or our maximum functionality needs. A PC is never fast enough, but there is a limit of what we need from a camera. If the AF can track servo without a glitch, in low light, how it can be improved ? Clean ISO 204800 is not enough ? Even resolution has a limit for whatever size of print, since our resolving power, angle of view, print size and distance are all related. I am assuming you won't watch a print by turning your neck to view the borders :)

Therefore, since cameras are finite, how could canon improve the 5DIII without damaging the 1DS series ? Only by merging 1DS with 1D with a price a bit above the 1DIV. They can't force the current 1D pro users to pay much higher prices. It is a possibility that the new merged 1D to be an FF high res camera with 5fps, with 1.3 crop ability reaching 10fps? With this, canon can give the 5DIII a 7D AF without a problem, since it will still be a 4fps camera, without special functionality and durability of the 1D, and the price difference with the new 1D is smaller too. The more we get near the limit of what we need, the more the prices will drop. The 60D is an example, and I feel the new 1Ds/1D will be next. I have doubts about the pricing of the 5DIII.

This is just what I am predicting, but I am 100% sure that I will get the 5DIII :)

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

neuroanatomist said:
Is there an echo in here? Because this sounds an awful lots like the Feb 18, 2010 rumor, also CR2, and saying pretty much the same thing...

That set of rumors is what changed how I do things, I'm still embarrassed by that. Thanks for the dagger. :)

Upvote 0
I guess that's what everyone's looking forward to this year: the release of the 5D3.

If everything goes by schedule, I'd wager Canon announcing the camera in September at PMA and the new producting hitting the market in November to prepare for the Christmas season. Now, if they move the 5D3 up one notch to the 3K mark, there's probably another model to take the "affordable FF" rank (otherwise, I can't imagine them giving up the 2.5K category to Nikon - especially with D800 right around the corner).

As for kit lens, I would imagine a redesign of the 24-105L somewhere down the road. Since the original one was released as the kit for 5D in 2005, it's about time - especially with the recent 24-120 from Nikon). IMHO, the 24-105L is wwwaaaayyyy more versatile than the 24-70L and a more sound candidate for the kit lens.

Upvote 0
ronderick said:
If everything goes by schedule, I'd wager Canon announcing the camera in September at PMA and the new producting hitting the market in November to prepare for the Christmas season. Now, if they move the 5D3 up one notch to the 3K mark, there's probably another model to take the "affordable FF" rank (otherwise, I can't imagine them giving up the 2.5K category to Nikon - especially with D800 right around the corner).

i'd expect the 5d2 to take the spot as the "affordable FF", seems pretty straight forward.
Drop the price of the 5d2 a few $100, introduce a 5d3 at a higher price point and have both selling for a period of time.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Regarding the built-in flash, heck no! About the only thing it's good for is a little bit of fill light for a portrait on a sunny day. If I want the 'deer in the headlights' look to go along with the harsh lighting and red-eye, I'll just use a point and shoot... Also, I'm not interested in sacrificing the viewfinder magnification - a smaller pentaprism would be needed to make room for the pop-up flash (which is why you don't find them on the 1D, 1Ds, or 5D series bodies).

Ahh, but the built-in flash on the 7d is ALSO a wireless controller, and that's a cool and useful feature that I'd love to have on a 5dIII

JSP

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.