*UPDATE* More 5D Mark III / 1D Mark V & Lenses [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Justin

I agree with all of this. I guess Canon feels they will sabotage their $10k+ lenses with this strategy. The wildlife shooters and sports photogs will still want the fastest glass though.

Alternatively a decent 600 5.6 would be so welcome.

kubelik said:
Interesting info; thanks for sharing that. Speaking of the sigmas, that's where I got the idea of a 150-450 f/4-5.6. Sigma puts out numerous lenses roughly in that range but doesn't quite do any of them really right. Perhaps a 200-500 f/4-5.6? Both of these would have much easier focal length ratios to deal with, a larger max aperture at equivalent length to the existing 100-400, and justify the sticker price that would inevitably be a >50% increase over the 100-400. Beyond that, these should be not only lighter than the 400 f/2.8, they should be lighter than the 300 f/2.8.

Most of all, if sigma can do at least a decent job with these lenses (as they've shown they can), canon should be able to make something really stunning out of these focal lengths

Upvote 0
J

Justin

I think this is what Canon should do, but I doubt the will. Especially if the merged 1D series rumors pan out. It doesn't make sense to have that many pro bodies.

Canon 14-24 said:
Like how people hoped the features of the 7d would be in the 60d, I would predict the same thing is going to happen with Canon in the FF segment (5D3 and 3D anyone?).

Save the 5D3 for later and put out a 3D in a higher price bracket ($2999.99 or 3499.99 seem fair starting prices body only). Give it 100% viewfinder coverage, built in wireless, throw in a couple more pixels, iso-stop improvement, 60fps and video crop features?, and improved AF like how the 7D did on top of the xxD series.

Upvote 0
W

WarStreet

Re: More 5D Mark III / 1D Mark V & Lenses [CR2]

Grummbeerbauer said:
You think too much like a Canon executive, and to little like a Canon customer. ;)

Who said I am not ? ;D

Grummbeerbauer said:
After all, Nikon has the D700, which (with battery grip) came pretty close to Nikon's top model at the time of its appearance -- same AF system as D3, very high fps with grip (8fps, 5fps without), same resolution. And it seems Nikon was still selling D3(s) at that time.

Interesting argument, but if I am not wrong with the pricing of the cameras, I believe you are actually agreeing with me. Pricing of the D3 competes with the 1D, while the higher priced D3X competes with the 1Ds. Canon and Nikon have different strategies for their low end FF, D700 fast camera, 5DII high res camera. Therefore D700 can only compete with a D3. High res D3X users won't consider the D700. On the other hand, the 5DII can only compete with a 1Ds. while no action 1D users will consider the 5DII. But the D700 + grip vs D3 price difference is much smaller than the 5DII vs 1Ds price difference. Canon's low end FF strategy, make it difficult for them to upgrade the 5DIII without decreasing the 1Ds price. The merging of 1Ds and 1D with price similar to the 1D is a good solution. I guess , it is cheaper for them to merge these cameras instead producing 2 cameras with a decreased price of the future 1Ds. Both Canon and competition users will be more then happy to have such merged camera with such a good price, and an improved 5DIII won't effect this new merged 1D camera.

The more the cameras approach the finite limit I mentioned before, the less important the spec difference between the high end and low end cameras will be, and hence a lower price difference is needed.

Upvote 0
Re: More 5D Mark III / 1D Mark V & Lenses [CR2]

JLN said:
Grendel said:
AFAIK there's no room for a flash in the hump -- the FF pentaprism fills it pretty much up.

It should be possible with a slight redesign, the d700 uses a FF pentaprism and fits a flash.

Tru dat -- makes the D700 pretty clunky tho. I'd prefer the smaller Canon "hump". Wouldn't mind a redesigned ST-E2 w/ a real (albeit small) flash tho.

Upvote 0
S

stark-arts

c.d.embrey said:
Why do Canon owners want prosumer (hate the word) 7D focus, while Nikon owners get the same Pro focus/metering as the D3s with the D700.

Time to vote with your money. If the 5D III isn't what you want, DON"T BUY IT! And be very vocal about why you don't buy it!

I'm not advocating switching to Nikon. Just keep using your present camera, and write letters to Canon explaining why you aren't wasting your money on their new model. BTW Snail-Mail is much more effective than E-Mail.

I can't agree with this more - there are a few concepts that Nikon gets VERY RIGHT. One is that you can put a flash in a pro level camera without sacrificing build quality and two is that you can use your top AF in a camera that is not your top camera. Canon used to understand this (the EOS 3) but seem to have lost their way....

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Nikon has the D3S and the D3X. Two FF pro cameras one with low resolution but fast frame rate, and one with high resolution and slower frame rate.

I would expect to see the same from Canon if the 1D is replaced with a FF version and fast frame rate.

Right now, the 1D MK IV has the same photosite density as a 27 mp FF camera, if they made the sensor FF and did not change the photosite density, it would be 27 mp. This may be easiest to do, since the design is mostly done, it merely needs to be extended to cover a larger piece of silicone. Undoubtedly, there are other challenges, like reading the data fast enough to get high frame rates.

It is likely the ability to move data fast enough that is a key piece of technology needed to move the 10 FPS 1D series to FF and 27 mp.

Upvote 0
Lawliet said:
For professional users the question isn't "Is the camera what I want?" but rather "Will it increase my income". An there are a lot of sujets where the 5D performs just fine, making that a moot point. It will sell.

That's why I haven't bought a new Canon body since 2007. No new features that I WANT/NEED have been introduced by Canon. And from what CR has been posting, it doesn't look like Canon will introduce a new camera that will make me more money.

Upvote 0
scalesusa said:
Nikon has the D3S and the D3X. Two FF pro cameras one with low resolution but fast frame rate, and one with high resolution and slower frame rate.

I would expect to see the same from Canon if the 1D is replaced with a FF version and fast frame rate.

Right now, the 1D MK IV has the same photosite density as a 27 mp FF camera, if they made the sensor FF and did not change the photosite density, it would be 27 mp. This may be easiest to do, since the design is mostly done, it merely needs to be extended to cover a larger piece of silicone. Undoubtedly, there are other challenges, like reading the data fast enough to get high frame rates.

I think you'll find that it's the though put of data that defines the way that Canon design their sensor. The Dual Digic4 processor is good for 160mp/s. Take this figure and divide it by 10 fps and you get 16mp. Then Canon go and build a 16mp sensor in APS-H because that's the 1D sensor format (shutter box, mirror design etc).
The 1Ds would take the same 160mp/s and divide it by how many fps it is briefed to have. If it follows the 1Ds3 route, then 5 fps. Which gives 32mp @ 5fps. Canon would then go and design and build a sensor around those specs. If canon descided to build a 10fps full frame camera, the sensor would still follow this rule, but require a new shutter/mirror box that would be full frame and handle 10fps. But the mp would be the same as the current 16mp, unless Canon make it using a newer Digic5. That offers 240mp/s and a 24mp 10 fps is quite achievable. Or 30mp @ 8fps...who knows how they will cut their processor cake with the 1D5/1Ds5

It is likely the ability to move data fast enough that is a key piece of technology needed to move the 10 FPS 1D series to FF and 27 mp.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.