Is there an update on the new firmware for the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III?

Hmm, this is usually something that people who don't take video say.
Hybrid Mirrorless Cameras offer many features that video cameras don't offer, in a small and easy to use body. This is essential for one man crews

1)Full Frame for low light
2)World Class AF (solo means no focus puller)
3)IBIS(many places don't allow gimbals)
4)The ability to shoot stills for thumbnails etc
5)The option for HQ stills for the occasional photoshoot.
6)Small Form Factor means I don't stand out.

The R6 has everything I want except for two things: good DR compared to other cameras and dual slot video recording.

I use an A7SIII at work, consideree to be the pinnacle of Hybrid Video Based cams which does have those features, but it also has the drawbacks of poor IBIS, mediocre colors, and soft, mushy 4K vs the oversampled 4K from the R6. I tried using it for stills and while
It does get the job done, it would be nice to have some more cropping room.

Canon also marketed the R6 as a video focused hybrid. What is wrong with wanting to use it as that?
I shoot video all the time.

1. Full frame is not required for low light. Have you actually used a reasonably good super 35 video camera?
2. Have you actually used anything in Canon's professional video line? They've had world class AF for quite a while. Maybe you're used to the crappy AF that is the standard with other manufacturers hybrid cameras.
3. Image stabilization comes in many forms, and professionals have been getting smooth footage long before IBIS and gimbals. Thinking IBIS is suddenly going to solve all your stable footage problems can be a mistake.
4. Turn off the ND, jack the shutter speed up and shoot a couple of seconds of video. You'll have hundreds of stills to choose from. 4K is plenty for thumbnails, etc.
5. Sure. That's nice, and everybody works differently, but myself, all too often I find myself using a dedicated photo camera that has the features and functionality I need to actually shoot stills in the environment I usually shoot stills in, namely my studio with a full suite of strobes and modifiers.
6. Again, dedicated professional video cameras are not necessarily large. I don't mean cinema cameras, I mean professional video cameras. Lots of them are actually quite small, and have the features and functionality that millions of working video professionals use every day. The consumer camcorder pretty much died with the camera phone, but the professional video camera market is still very much alive and well.

In terms of the R6 (I have an RP, R5, and R6, so I can actually comment on this, and yes, I use them all for different things), the perceived low dynamic range is because of Canon Log, not the sensor. The R6 sensor is actually very good. Canon Log can actually only mathematically hold ~12 stops (it's actually a little more than that, but close enough to just say 12 stops). That being said, even though it's "only 12 stops" of DR, it's pretty clean and totally usable. If you're shooting a scene where you have to have more than 12 stops of DR because you can't change the lighting or fill in the shadows a bit, then having 13-15 stops of DR from another camera manufacturer will help some, but probably not enough to make that big of a difference when grading it, as you're going to have a fair amount of trouble fitting it into Rec.709 and still look good anyway. This is one of those specsmanship things. On paper, higher DR is better, and 12 stops is low compared to 13-15 stops, but in reality, when outputting to Rec.709 (which is still the viewing standard for billions of devices and isn't going to change any time soon), 12 stops of DR to work with is a lot of DR, and is more than enough to put the important part of the picture in the zone of good exposure and still have lots of DR to roll the highlights and shadows/blacks off for Rec.709. It's all in knowing how to best expose for the camera/codec you're using and knowing how to deal with it when in post.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to use the R6 as a video focused hybrid. Just recognize that it's a hybrid and therefore isn't going to do video as good as an actual dedicated professional video camera. It can get you most of the way there, but if Hybrids were truly the way, then the professional video camera market would have died off long ago, and it's still very much alive and well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It's out. 1.3.0

Firmware Version 1.3.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
1. Adds [Canon Log 3] to [Canon Log settings]. You can select [Canon Log] or [Canon Log 3] from [Canon Log settings] in the Shooting tab of the menu.
- Support for RAW movies shot with Canon Log3 and RAW (Light) will be available in Cinema RAW Development and in Digital Photo Professional version in a future update.
- Digital Photo Professional will also support the processing of RAW movies shot in Canon Log3 settings and the application of Viewing LUT in future update.
2. Adds [RAW (Light)] to the movie recording size and [IPB (Light)] to 8K/4K to enable lower bit rate shooting. These settings can also be selected when RAW+MP4 is set.
3. Adds a high frame rate of 119.9 fps/100.0 fps to the Full HD movie recording size.
4. Adds [Electronic full-time MF] to the AF tab of the menu. When a lens is attached, manual focus adjustment is always possible with both One-shot AF and Servo AF.
5. Adds [6: Monitor Off] to [Shooting info. disp.: Screen info. settings] in the Shooting tab of the menu. This update makes it possible for the camera's monitor to be turned off at all times during shooting.
6. The transfer time (estimated value) now displays on the camera monitor during FTP transfer.
7. Adds the ability, when transferring images via FTP, to select protected images that failed to be transferred and protected images that have not yet been transferred and transfer them all at once.
8. Adds [Save/load cam settings on card] to the Function settings tab of the menu.
This allows you to save the camera settings to a card, or load a saved file and restore the camera to the settings you saved to a card.
9. Fixes a phenomenon, in which, in rare instances, the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards.
10. Fixes a phenomenon, in which in rare instances, the camera cannot function normally when the drive mode is set to "High-speed continuous shooting" to shoot still images continuously.
11. Fixes a phenomenon in which the power may become suspended when the camera is powered via USB for an extended period of time.

Firmware Version 1.3.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.2.1. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.3.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Notes:
The User Manual on our website has been updated accordingly. Please download the User Manual as well as the latest firmware. You can download it from the official website.

The following Applications have been updated accordingly:
- Camera Connect 2.7.30
- EOS Utility 3.13.20
- Digital Photo Professional 4.14.0
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.2 for Final Cut Pro X
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.7 for Avid Media Access
Please download the Applications as well as the latest firmware.

Q&A:
Preparations for a firmware update:
After the downloaded compressed file (.zip) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.

*Extracting the downloaded file:
Right-click the zip file, and then select Extract All to extract the file.

In the folder you downloaded are the firmware ( EOSR5130.FIR / file size: 46,974,576 bytes) and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to check the procedure in accordance with the instruction.

(The following is the history of past firmware updates.)
Changes in version 1.2.0:
1. When using high-speed or low-speed continuous shooting modes, in Drive Mode with [High Speed Display: OFF], the visibility of the subject within the frame has been improved when shooting moving objects.*
*During continuous shooting black frames will be inserted between frames in the viewfinder and live view. This will improve the visibility of moving subjects in live view and in the viewfinder.
2. Adds the [Auto] setting to the [Viewfinder brightness] menu that will brighten and dim based on ambient light conditions.
3. Enables 2nd curtain shooting sync during radio transmission wireless flash shooting when the Speedlite EL-1 flash is attached to the camera.
4. Enables manual flash output (excluding high-speed sync and optical transmission wireless flash shooting) to be selected and set up to 1/8192 from the camera menu screen when the Speedlite EL-1 flash is attached to the camera.
5. Improves compatibility of HEIF images recorded in the camera with MIAF (Multi-Image Application Format) standards.
6. Adds support for AF and release during zoom operations for some RF and EF lenses.

Changes in version 1.1.1:
1. When the RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens is attached, an image stabilization effect of approximately six stops* is achieved through collaborative control with the in-lens image stabilization.
*Focal length 500mm, Based on CIPA(Camera & Imaging Products Association) standards.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which the IS capabilities may be degraded when performing continuous shooting in cases where the RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens is attached to the EOS R5 running firmware version 1.1.0.

Changes in version 1.1.0:
1. Useful messaging is now displayed when [HDMI display: Camera+External monitor] and [Overheat control: on] settings are enabled.
2. When using certain RF lenses for movie shooting, the in-lens image stabilization mechanism has been improved.
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the "Slow Synchro" setting screen is not accurately displayed, when the language is set to English.
4. Fixes a typo displayed on the communication setting screen, when the language is set to Korean.
5. Connectivity during FTP transmission has been improved.
6. Fixes a phenomenon, in which the card access time may take longer, when using certain CFexpress cards.
7. Temperature detection and shooting time control in video shooting have been improved. In addition, the total shooting time when the short-time recording and power-on/off are performed repeatedly at room temperature is improved.
8. The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I have been playing around with the R5 with the updated firmware and few things I have noticed.

The Good:
  • I like the look of CLOG 3 footage more than CLOG with a simple Canon LUT applied.
The Bad:
  • I cannot get Camera Raw Light files to open in Premiere Pro - Get an error each time, the Standard RAW 8K is fine.
  • I think Canon reduced the displayed record times (at least it feels like that atm) but since I never push the Camera to the overheat warning I might be wrong. Also seems recovery is taking longer but again need to do some more testing.
  • Found a bug with the R5 and the RF 50 1.8
    • User cannot change the point of focus if when the Lens is set to manual and shuts off and turns the Camera back on.
      • The Focus point will be stuck in the top left corner and only setting the lens back to Auto resets the focus point or go from video to photo mode and back and it will reset.
    • Not sure if this was in 1.2 (never tried it)
Need to do some more testing.

Upvote 0