Is there an update on the new firmware for the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III?

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
It is unlike Canon to offer a firmware upgrade as good as the one that is rumored (C-Log3, Canon raw light, more frame rates, etc). Seems way too good to be true and since it seems like it was supposed to be released a few times now, I am starting to think it's not going to happen. Feels more like the specs of an R5c.

When has Canon ever offered that significant of a firmware? That's more of a Panasonic thing. People begged for the 10-bit codec on C200. Never happened. Same with EOS R. Etc etc. They update some AF tracking and some small updates here and there, but never something like new codecs and log-profiles.
Just because it hasn't happened before, doesn't make it true now. Canon is having one heck of a battle with Sony for the mirrorless crown—which means they need to do things differently than in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to RAW light.
Same here. I have been playing with 8K lately and pleasantly happy with the result. The 8K raw is way too heavy. The 8K ALL-I is similar. I am wondering about the raw light. The 8K IPB is really good. I just want that 12-bit thing when really, really, needed.

Upvote 0
It is unlike Canon to offer a firmware upgrade as good as the one that is rumored (C-Log3, Canon raw light, more frame rates, etc). Seems way too good to be true and since it seems like it was supposed to be released a few times now, I am starting to think it's not going to happen. Feels more like the specs of an R5c.

When has Canon ever offered that significant of a firmware? That's more of a Panasonic thing. People begged for the 10-bit codec on C200. Never happened. Same with EOS R. Etc etc. They update some AF tracking and some small updates here and there, but never something like new codecs and log-profiles.
Canon offered CLog option to 5Div soon after release as a service centre upgrade for USD199 to compete with the GH5/A7Sii. It then changed all future 5Div purchases to have CLog built in at a higher list cost.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that the original intent of firmware updates is to fix things that are broken. While we may not get anything new, there are likely fixes to existing issues such as the lockups.
says who? If you don't have planned obsolescense in the back of your mind as a company, why not upgrade the functionality of things to make them more appealing to customers? Whatever can be upgraded by software should be upgraded by software.... sustainability and such.
I at least think that Canon intents their cameras to be long lasting.

Upvote 0

Final Firmware Versions:​

• Canon EOS R5 v1.3.2
  • Canon EOS R6 v1.3.0
  • Canon EOS-1D X Mark III 1.4.0
Would love to see it released this week. I have eagerly anticipated CLOG3 and Cinema RAW Light and some bug fixes for lockups and general reliability. Also, that RATE button needs to be customizable please!

Upvote 0