Is there an update on the new firmware for the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III?

Hey, just going off the actual numbers tested and reviewed. I didn't do the testing that showed it to have the worst DR out of all of the new gen FF cams. If CLOG3 will help it be competitive, that is great.

You just said it had bad DR. You didn't say "relative to competing cameras". Of course you're going to get lit up.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation. I just use the tools I have to make videos. I am definitely not a sensor technology expert by any means.
If I can get more DR, with CLOG 3, I am satisfied.
If all you ever do is shoot video, then why not shoot with a dedicated video camera that actually has the features and functionality that you require?

This is the thing that I'm always mystified about. I can't tell you how many guys I see running around *demanding* a hybrid camera, because, you know, they have to be able shoot both video and stills with one camera, but when you look at the actual shutter count on the camera after a year or so, they basically never shot stills with it at all. But complain about how terrible of a camera it is for video. Uh... OK... surely you're better served by a tool that is designed to work the way you *actually use it*. Canon does actually make those tools, and yes, they are very good.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DootsHK

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 11, 2014
Here you go:

Firmware Version 1.3.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
1. Adds [Canon Log 3] to [Canon Log settings]. You can select [Canon Log] or [Canon Log 3] from [Canon Log settings] in the Shooting tab of the menu.
- Support for RAW movies shot with Canon Log3 and RAW (Light) will be available in Cinema RAW Development and in Digital Photo Professional version in a future update.
- Digital Photo Professional will also support the processing of RAW movies shot in Canon Log3 settings and the application of Viewing LUT in future update.
2. Adds [RAW (Light)] to the movie recording size and [IPB (Light)] to 8K/4K to enable lower bit rate shooting. These settings can also be selected when RAW+MP4 is set.
3. Adds a high frame rate of 119.9 fps/100.0 fps to the Full HD movie recording size.
4. Adds [Electronic full-time MF] to the AF tab of the menu. When a lens is attached, manual focus adjustment is always possible with both One-shot AF and Servo AF.
5. Adds [6: Monitor Off] to [Shooting info. disp.: Screen info. settings] in the Shooting tab of the menu. This update makes it possible for the camera's monitor to be turned off at all times during shooting.
6. The transfer time (estimated value) now displays on the camera monitor during FTP transfer.
7. Adds the ability, when transferring images via FTP, to select protected images that failed to be transferred and protected images that have not yet been transferred and transfer them all at once.
8. Adds [Save/load cam settings on card] to the Function settings tab of the menu.
This allows you to save the camera settings to a card, or load a saved file and restore the camera to the settings you saved to a card.
9. Fixes a phenomenon, in which, in rare instances, the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards.
10. Fixes a phenomenon, in which in rare instances, the camera cannot function normally when the drive mode is set to "High-speed continuous shooting" to shoot still images continuously.
11. Fixes a phenomenon in which the power may become suspended when the camera is powered via USB for an extended period of time.

Firmware Version 1.3.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.2.1. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.3.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
If all you ever do is shoot video, then why not shoot with a dedicated video camera that actually has the features and functionality that you require?

This is the thing that I'm always mystified about. I can't tell you how many guys I see running around *demanding* a hybrid camera, because, you know, they have to be able shoot both video and stills with one camera, but when you look at the actual shutter count on the camera after a year or so, they basically never shot stills with it at all. But complain about how terrible of a camera it is for video. Uh... OK... surely you're better served by a tool that is designed to work the way you *actually use it*. Canon does actually make those tools, and yes, they are very good.

Hmm, this is usually something that people who don't take video say.
Hybrid Mirrorless Cameras offer many features that video cameras don't offer, in a small and easy to use body. This is essential for one man crews

1)Full Frame for low light
2)World Class AF (solo means no focus puller)
3)IBIS(many places don't allow gimbals)
4)The ability to shoot stills for thumbnails etc
5)The option for HQ stills for the occasional photoshoot.
6)Small Form Factor means I don't stand out.

The R6 has everything I want except for two things: good DR compared to other cameras and dual slot video recording.

I use an A7SIII at work, consideree to be the pinnacle of Hybrid Video Based cams which does have those features, but it also has the drawbacks of poor IBIS, mediocre colors, and soft, mushy 4K vs the oversampled 4K from the R6. I tried using it for stills and while
It does get the job done, it would be nice to have some more cropping room.

Canon also marketed the R6 as a video focused hybrid. What is wrong with wanting to use it as that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Don’t fret. There are a bunch of ignorant people that identify personally with their cameras on this forum so a apparent slight to the cameras capabilities is a an attack on them personally. The R5/6 does not have good DR in video compared to other FF mirrorless cameras in its price ranges. Hopefully Canon fixes this.
The poster never once mentioned video. You have to be thorough with your dissing unless you want some smack right back in your face.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
says who? If you don't have planned obsolescense in the back of your mind as a company, why not upgrade the functionality of things to make them more appealing to customers? Whatever can be upgraded by software should be upgraded by software.... sustainability and such.
I at least think that Canon intents their cameras to be long lasting.
magic lantern made canon popular as it gave a lot of new features with just software changes. It's nice to see Canon doing some of that now. I think they finally see some value in it and hope it continues... but traditionally new features meant they could entice you to buy the latest model

really wish they'd hire the magic lantern guy.. he did this all reverse engineering the firmware.... imagine what he could do with proper documents

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Hmm, this is usually something that people who don't take video say.
Hybrid Mirrorless Cameras offer many features that video cameras don't offer, in a small and easy to use body. This is essential for one man crews

1)Full Frame for low light
2)World Class AF (solo means no focus puller)
3)IBIS(many places don't allow gimbals)
4)The ability to shoot stills for thumbnails etc
5)The option for HQ stills for the occasional photoshoot.
6)Small Form Factor means I don't stand out.

The R6 has everything I want except for two things: good DR compared to other cameras and dual slot video recording.

I use an A7SIII at work, consideree to be the pinnacle of Hybrid Video Based cams which does have those features, but it also has the drawbacks of poor IBIS, mediocre colors, and soft, mushy 4K vs the oversampled 4K from the R6. I tried using it for stills and while
It does get the job done, it would be nice to have some more cropping room.

Canon also marketed the R6 as a video focused hybrid. What is wrong with wanting to use it as that?
fair, though I think the expectations are a wee bit high on hybrid.

Still I think Canon did listen and are selling a more video focused version soon. All I can say is, exciting times and think it was needed given how good phone cameras can be with software based power.

Upvote 0

angelisland

Commercial Photographer
Mar 30, 2021
CA and NY
Upvote 0
R6 owners as well. Both share the same sensor right? Probably not capable of handling much more.
Yea but the r6 is $4000 less and at least has animal eye AF. I realize I bought the 1dx3 as released, and I really like the camera, but I am having a hard time finding a reason to use it over the R5, My plan was to use the 1dx3 for video and the r5 for still, yet the r5 is just better at video notwithstanding the overheating. That hasn't been an issue with me. I just don't understand why they want update the 1dx3 with animal af in liver view and video.

Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Yea but the r6 is $4000 less and at least has animal eye AF. I realize I bought the 1dx3 as released, and I really like the camera, but I am having a hard time finding a reason to use it over the R5, My plan was to use the 1dx3 for video and the r5 for still, yet the r5 is just better at video notwithstanding the overheating. That hasn't been an issue with me. I just don't understand why they want update the 1dx3 with animal af in liver view and video.

Hey, not arguing there. I think the 1DX-3 for the price should have gotten all the features. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0