Is there an update on the new firmware for the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Back on March 19, I reported that Canon would release new firmware within the “next couple of weeks”, which seemed to line up with the end of March. The number of times this source has been incorrect I can count on one finger.
So do I have an update on the highly anticipated new firmware arriving for your EOS R5, EOS R6 or EOS-1D X Mark III? Sadly, no.
I only post this because of the number of people that have written in across all platforms who are eagerly awaiting the feature updates, and responding to each person individually takes a lot of time.
The second I hear anything, I will let everyone know.
Update: The new firmware should be available to download on...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
It is unlike Canon to offer a firmware upgrade as good as the one that is rumored (C-Log3, Canon raw light, more frame rates, etc). Seems way too good to be true and since it seems like it was supposed to be released a few times now, I am starting to think it's not going to happen. Feels more like the specs of an R5c.

When has Canon ever offered that significant of a firmware? That's more of a Panasonic thing. People begged for the 10-bit codec on C200. Never happened. Same with EOS R. Etc etc. They update some AF tracking and some small updates here and there, but never something like new codecs and log-profiles.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, that made me chuckle too, what an ignorant statement. It may not be class leading but it's no slouch.

Ignorant statement?
Is this data falsified, or is the statement a lie?
Cause I am pretty sure when you have the worst dynamic range of any new generation full frame camera, that makes it poor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-023423_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-023423_Chrome.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Ignorant statement?
Is this data falsified, or is the statement a lie?
"Is the R6 even able to benefit from CLog 3 with its poor dynamic range?"

lol you are confusing yourself

The absence of Canon Log 3 is the reason for lesser dynamic range (but it is in no way poor as-is)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
This is why I asked.
The way the video signal is processed is fundamental to the DR you get in both stills and video, but can be very differently handled between the two. The point is technically the R6 sensor is very capable DR wise, so any tweaks made to the processing especially for video could potentially have good benefits.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
The way the video signal is processed is fundamental to the DR you get in both stills and video, but can be very differently handled between the two. The point is technically the R6 sensor is very capable DR wise, so any tweaks made to the processing especially for video could potentially have good benefits.
Thanks for the explanation. I just use the tools I have to make videos. I am definitely not a sensor technology expert by any means.
If I can get more DR, with CLOG 3, I am satisfied.

Upvote 0
I thought the R5 specs were too good to be true when rumored, so I think Canon has shifted their strategy. They were falling far behind in the sub ~$5k video market and realized it. People who want great DR for $3500 are getting it with the A7sIII and BMPCC4k. Clog3 would put the R5 in as an option so I think/hope this firmware is going to happen.

Upvote 0
Hey, just going off the actual numbers tested and reviewed. I didn't do the testing that showed it to have the worst DR out of all of the new gen FF cams. If CLOG3 will help it be competitive, that is great.
Don’t fret. There are a bunch of ignorant people that identify personally with their cameras on this forum so a apparent slight to the cameras capabilities is a an attack on them personally. The R5/6 does not have good DR in video compared to other FF mirrorless cameras in its price ranges. Hopefully Canon fixes this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Don’t fret. There are a bunch of ignorant people that identify personally with their cameras on this forum so a apparent slight to the cameras capabilities is a an attack on them personally. The R5/6 does not have good DR in video compared to other FF mirrorless cameras in its price ranges. Hopefully Canon fixes this.
Yeah I never understood the whole brand obsession. I use a GH5 for personal videography, an A7SIII for work, but never really use 4k 120p so I really wanted the R6 to be my new personal use cam. The bad DR is what was holding me back. I will definitely pick one up if it improves.

(Will be over the moon if they enable dual recording or saving custom video modes.)

Upvote 0