When to switch lenses during events?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm going to be shooting a birthday party in less than 12 hours.
When would it be an ideal time to change to another lens to get better shots?
Lets say I shoot on a 50mm on a crop sensor, when do you think I should change lenses, when everyone finishes their games/activities and prepare for their meal? Cause most of the time, I'll leave my 50mm. or do I even need to change lenses?
If it helps, my kit: 60D
24-105
50 1.4
28 1.8

Ps. With these two primes, you think I'll need the zoom? Considering I won't shoot a lot of telephoto...

Thanks guys, starting to shoot more events, so I'm still learning!

Jul 21, 2010
Change lenses when you need to do so, to get the shots you want, depending on where you are in relation to the action. The only time not to is when they're bringing out the candle-covered cake. I find a tele lens useful at a party to isolate one person from the crowd (but it helps if the lens is faster than f/4 on APS-C).

Personally, I use a Lowepro utility belt and a lens case or two, so my other lenses are with me, not off in a corner. Takes me less than 10 seconds to switch, so I don't mind doing it as needed.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Eugene said:
Thanks Neuro! I'd probably have to carry my bag around then, as I don't have a belt for my lenses.
One question, f4 would indeed be a tad slow, so should I leave my 24-105 at home?

Cheers
If you can use a flash, it will be fine.
At parties, there can be mixed light, or bright and dark areas that you cannot control. I'd strongly recommend a flash, you will likely need it for some shots.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.