Will I jump ship to " Sony Alphe a7R " for 36 MP camera ?

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Friends and Teachers.
I have read " Fred Miranda has completed his review of the Sony A7R camera body using Canon EF lenses.
Read the full review | Sony A7R at B&H Photo" from front page of CR., and start to hit center of my heart that Why Canon not do like this too, Yes, I am waiting for Canon 3D= 36 + MP, or Canon 1DS MK IV = 36 + MP for many years already, BUT Canon do nothing like this. Yes, I check the Price of Sony Alpha a7R at B&H = $ 2,298 US Dollars + Canon EF Lens adapter = $ 350 US Dollars = Total $ 2,648 US Dollars = Super Cheap compare to Canon Top Line 1DX MK I.
Yes, Sir, My stupid question ( I have GAS./ Gear Acqisittion Syndrome Illness NOW) is= I should wait another 6-9 months to get the Canon 36 MP. or Jump the ship to buy Sony Alpha a7R now ???.

YES, Sir, The More I use Canon EOS-M past 3 weeks, The More I love the Size of Tiny EOS-M, and the quality of the photos of this tiny camera.---And Sony Alpha a7R ( have eye AF control like my Old Canon A2E too) is a lot smaller than Canon 1Dx too.
Thanks for your answer, Sir.
Surapon

Attachments

• SonyA7r_front_450.jpg
    SonyA7r_front_450.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 8,327
May 20, 2011
I fully agree. I waited and waited and waited, but Canon did not deliver.

I bought the A7R a couple of weeks ago and I could not be happier. The resolution, dynamic range and overall IQ of this camera is stunning, and miles ahead of my 5D3 and the 1DX!

AF performance isn't exactly top notch, but it is more than good enough for me. My models are not jumping around, and the landscapes are standing still. ;)

Who knows how long it will take Canon to release a high resolution body at a decent price? :p They also need to up their dynamic range and fix the horrible shadow banding.

Upvote 0
Dear friend Surapon. I do not think prudent to replace a reliable "camera system", for others who have known advantages, and disadvantages yet to be discovered. However, nothing prevents you from buying another camera (if money is no problem) and have fun with her to find out how reliable it can be. Currently the availability of lenses and accessories A7r is very restricted, but in the future may meet their needs. However, the reports of those who used this camera show limitations in flexibility and agility, which make it necessary a backup from another camera known in your neck, to make it possible use without fear in events where one can not repeat the moment.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
surapon said:
I should wait another 6-9 months to get the Canon 36 MP. or Jump the ship to buy Sony Alpha a7R now ??? .

Mr. Surapon,

There is no harm or shame in trying new hardware if you can afford it. If you buy the camera please share your photos with us. My request to you is this: some of those with G.A.S. tend to acquire hardware they don't use, or rarely use; if you find that it is collecting dust on a shelf, please sell it to someone who will use it.

Upvote 0
This looks like an excellent tool to have in the bag. I wouldn't get rid of my 5DIII for it, but this is something that I would love to have along with my 5DIII. I've got lots of lenses that I use for different things, and I love to use the right tool for the right job. This is a camera I wouldn't hesitate to use for portrait or scenic photos. Combine it with some nice Zeiss glass, and I'd be in heaven :)

But when I go out to play in the snow, and my daughter is chasing me with a bucket of snowballs while I run backwards aiming my camera in her general direction and pressing the shutter button, I want my 5DIII w/ the 70-200mm IS II :)

Haha, Gotcha! by yorgasor, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Yes, it's very tempting to invest into Sony's camera these days. So many excellent reviews on different websites. Today I've read about the DxOmark (yeah, I'm aware about some concerns how they rate the lenses) rated the Zeiss 55 1.8 FE lens very close to 55 1.4 Otus.

Mr. Surapon, I am definitely not as experienced as many folks here. Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that your Canon lenses won't work as good on Sony as on Canon cameras. If I buy Sony camera, it will probably be a successor of alpha a99, which will be released within the next few months. In this case, I will have both Canon + Canon lenses and Sony + Sony/Zeiss lenses.

P.S. One of the folks on sonyalpharumors.com posted this comment. Some things to keep in mind before investing into Sony.

Sony will be in big trouble soon. How I know this? Because of big indicators.

* Sony cutting camera budget, Sony EMCS laying off up to 40% of workers at Kohda.
* Sony officially cut pipeline concept of 5 A-mount cameras for 2014 down to 1.
* Sony cancel development work on 400/4 and 24-105/4 lens and sell future development rights back to Olympus
* Sony no more advertize for A-mount in any USA product space (magazine, in store, etc). Advertize was always weak spot for Sony, but now budget is removed completely.
* Sony removed $2.5 million of R&D budget for FY2014 for ILC camera (Both A- and E-).
* Sony contract of CMOS sensor sales with Nikon ends in March and rumor heard is will not renew.
* Sony using many more plastics in new camera than before to cut costs. Repair rate up 14% due to cheap matirial.
* Sony continue move production to Thailand and quality suffer more.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
surapon said:
Dear Friends and Teachers.
I have read " Fred Miranda has completed his review of the Sony A7R camera body using Canon EF lenses.
Read the full review | Sony A7R at B&H Photo" from front page of CR., and start to hit center of my heart that Why Canon not do like this too, Yes, I am waiting for Canon 3D= 36 + MP, or Canon 1DS MK IV = 36 + MP for many years already, BUT Canon do nothing like this. Yes, I check the Price of Sony Alpha a7R at B&H = $ 2,298 US Dollars + Canon EF Lens adapter = $ 350 US Dollars = Total $ 2,648 US Dollars = Super Cheap compare to Canon Top Line 1DX MK I.
Yes, Sir, My stupid question ( I have GAS./ Gear Acqisittion Syndrome Illness NOW) is= I should wait another 6-9 months to get the Canon 36 MP. or Jump the ship to buy Sony Alpha a7R now ???.

YES, Sir, The More I use Canon EOS-M past 3 weeks, The More I love the Size of Tiny EOS-M, and the quality of the photos of this tiny camera.---And Sony Alpha a7R ( have eye AF control like my Old Canon A2E too) is a lot smaller than Canon 1Dx too.
Thanks for your answer, Sir.
Surapon
Dear Surapon,

I have the Sony a7+28-70 (recently purchased the ZEISS 24-70 f/4, but it won't arrive till 9th February) and with my limited experience of having used it, and having tried all my EF lenses, for about 50 days or so, I feel its a fantastic camera for ultra wide angle and general purpose photography ... beyond that it is no match for a 5D MK III. Personally I am thinking about getting the a7R as well, to permanently have my 16-35 f/2.8 L II lens mounted for landscape photography (i.e. it would only be used for landscape photography and nothing else) ... by the way, when you say "Jump ship" do you mean 'sell all your Canon gear and go with the Sony a7/a7R'? if so, you might be very disappointed ... but if you meant that it would be complimenting your existing Canon gear, then yes, it makes a perfect setup. If you like the EOS-M, you will like the Sony a7/a7R even more ... buy it if you are going to use it for landscape and general purpose/walk-around setup.
Happy shopping ... it helps relieve GAS, temporarily ;D

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
Sony A7 or A7r is a perfect weapon for landscape & street photography.

One advice, get the Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8. They will release Zeiss FE 24-70mm f4 IS, which I think it will be perfect from landscape to street photography.

PLEASE DON'T PUT CANON L lenses on this beauty :-\
R
Not even a TS-E 17mm or 21mm??? It's not the compactness but the sensor capability and ability to take on Canon lenses which is why this camera is popular among Canon shooters. Ditto to Sony system users. For most, acquiring new lenses isn't even an option. It's just a stop-gap till Canon produces one that can rival that 36mp Sony sensor and it's only mostly for landscape and studio shooters. For the rest, 1dx, 5d3 and 6d are still the best option...

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
verysimplejason said:
It's just a stop-gap till Canon produces one that can rival that 36mp Sony sensor and it's only mostly for landscape and studio shooters. For the rest, 1dx, 5d3 and 6d are still the best option...
+1 ... I struck off "studio shooters" not because I disagree but because I have absolutely no experience with studio photography and I don't use my a7 for that purpose, but for landscape work, this little camera rocks 8)

Upvote 0
Surapon - you should do whatever makes you happy. If you have the money then yeah why not. I would. How many cameras is too much? Pah! One for each day off the week I say!

I get what Dylan777 is saying. To get the best from the camera you're better off using native lenses. But you can also use your Canon glass as a little bonus, no harm!

I wouldn't sell your 5D3 and replace it with the Sony A7r. They serve different purposes. One for things that move and one for things that don't!

Personally, I think this may be (flame on and ready folks) Sony's swan song in a way. Their last ditch effort of a partially sinking ship. I really hope I'm wrong as I love Sony products but all evidence is pointing to a financial meltdown. I think they released these bodies too early in a "give it all she's got Scotty" kinda way. They're marvelous yes but there is little support and shaky confidence that it will be available in the not too distant future.

At the same time Canon are taking their sweet time. Why? Because they can afford to!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Studio and landscapes have different requirements from nature and bird photography. For bird photography, we use high iso and the best telephotos we can afford. Canon wins hands down on the lenses (Metabones adaptors aren't good on fast AF)), and their sensors are fine at high iso. If I need more megapixels, I use a crop body like the 70D, which has a pixel density equivalent to a 51.7 mp FF. However, a 36 mp sensor on the 5dIII would give an extra 28% of reach if IQ was not lowered.

Upvote 0
Some time latter in the year I plan on replacing my Nex 6 with a Sony a7R. Having used the Nex 6 for over a year now I can say that Sony Emount system is a good complement for Canon users. Canon lens are a little cumbersome when it comes to auto focus on a Sony. But the focus peeking for manual focus lens is fantastic. My Nex 6 is the easiest camera to manual focus I have ever used.

It will only be good for standard landscape to around 135mm anything longer the logistics will get brutal. But still better than a normal Canon M. The battery grip helps ergo.

I plan on using it for landscape and standard photography mostly with vintage lens. But I am keeping my Canons for moving subjects.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Thousand Thankssssss to all my dear teachers and all of my dear friends.
Yes, When I have any questions or I need some help to solve the things that I do not know---Just ASKS my Teachers and my Friends = I get all the right answers that I need, and will use to solve my Problems.

Sorry, I use the wrong words " Jump Ship"---I try to say that , I will buy another camera brand= Not my dear Canon.
Yes, Sir/ Madame, I will ask the Local Camera store to get Both Sony Alpha a7R and the Metabones Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter, Mark III , And I will try them with my CanonTS-E24mm. F/3.5 L MK II first, and made the comparision with all my Canon Cameras before I buy.
AND I will print on my HP. Plotter to size 24 X 36 Inches. and report back to you---Yes, May be 2 more weeks.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon.
PS. Here the photos of Big snow storm at my Home in Apex, North Carolina, USA, and Last night, The temperature drop to 10 Degree " F " or - 20 Degree " C "

Attachments

• S-12.jpg
    S-12.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1,301
  • S-14.jpg
    S-14.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,269
  • S-11.jpg
    S-11.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,279
  • S-38.jpg
    S-38.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,290
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Rienzphotoz said:
Hi Surapon ... your home seems like a nice warm place in those images ;D

Ha, Ha, Ha, Dear Friend Rienz.
No, Too cold for me, I use to live in Thailand 40 years ago , = 90 to 115 Degree " F " in Thailand, all year round.
But After 40 years, Yes, I can adapt.
Have a great Thursday.
Surapon

Upvote 0