World Press Photo of the Year 2015 winner only uses 5DMk.II & 3 primes!

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
benperrin said:
ecka said:
1. Gear matters.
2. 5D2 is a great camera.
3. Camera is a tool. Better cameras are better tools.
4. Populism like "it's not the camera ...", is an artsy narcissistic BS. Trust me
+1

People who say the camera doesn't matter are full of it. Not to say it's the only part that matters but it certainly does. The problem lies where people think that only your gear matters. That is just as incorrect as saying gear is not important. Better gear can open up new and exciting opportunities. Post processing also can. There will be plenty of photos that no amount of post processing can save but it can enhance great images as well. Take them to a new level. People make far too big of a deal about new cameras. I've had people tell me that the 5d2 can't take good images, of course talk like that is bs.

Also people often argue these points from their own favourite photographic genres. Photo journalism will have different requirements to landscape and sports photography will have a different set of requirements again. This needs to be remembered when arguing the point. The best camera is not the one you have with you, it is the right tool for the job. I'd hate to use an iPhone for bird photography.

+1

"It's not the camera, it's the tool behind it."
::)

Upvote 0
ecka said:
benperrin said:
ecka said:
1. Gear matters.
2. 5D2 is a great camera.
3. Camera is a tool. Better cameras are better tools.
4. Populism like "it's not the camera ...", is an artsy narcissistic BS. Trust me
+1

People who say the camera doesn't matter are full of it. Not to say it's the only part that matters but it certainly does. The problem lies where people think that only your gear matters. That is just as incorrect as saying gear is not important. Better gear can open up new and exciting opportunities. Post processing also can. There will be plenty of photos that no amount of post processing can save but it can enhance great images as well. Take them to a new level. People make far too big of a deal about new cameras. I've had people tell me that the 5d2 can't take good images, of course talk like that is bs.

Also people often argue these points from their own favourite photographic genres. Photo journalism will have different requirements to landscape and sports photography will have a different set of requirements again. This needs to be remembered when arguing the point. The best camera is not the one you have with you, it is the right tool for the job. I'd hate to use an iPhone for bird photography.

+1

"It's not the camera, it's the tool behind it."
::)

+1000

Will use that saying next time.

Upvote 0