World Press Photo of the Year 2015 winner only uses 5DMk.II & 3 primes!

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Throw away your latest equipment, you gadget-collecting dilettantes! :p

On the winning image, he commented: “The refugee story was fast moving all the time; you had to be in the zone and there was no let up. I just had a straight 24mm lens on my EOS 5D Mark II and I used my body as a tripod as it was so dark and the shutter speed (1/5sec) was so low. I only use three primes: a 14mm, 24mm and a 40mm. That’s it. I don't believe in taking monster cameras and lenses on assignment. I need to move with the subject; that’s how I work.”

Australian freelance photojournalist Warren Richardson has won the World Press Photo of the Year 2015 for a poignant image of two migrants passing a child through a barbed wire fence, as they crossed the border from Serbia into Hungary.

Full Story: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/world_press_photo_2015_winners_revealed.do

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
It's a great example of how pretty much every spec on a camera goes out the window when you're focused on the images instead of the camera. Photojournalists have been working with cameras since ISO 100 was considered fast, and everything from there is just a bonus.

Just look at the work of David Burnett, who still uses a 4x5 Speed Graphic to photograph the olympics. Sure, it's incredibly hard, but the man has taken some seriously incredible, award-winning photographs.

Disclaimer: I have a 1Dx Mark II waiting for me this summer, so my wallet doesn't think I should be saying this.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Stu_bert said:
The first prize is a 1DX mk II, so one assumes that Canon is actively supporting the awards, and therefore... :)

"Founded in 1955, the World Press Photo Foundation is an independent, non-profit organisation based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. The foundation receives support from the Dutch Postcode Lottery and is sponsored worldwide by Canon."

http://www.worldpressphoto.org/about

It's not a surprise Canon does sponsor a photographers' organization. Maybe to push Canon sales they should have give the prize to a camera actually on sale, intead of an older model?

There were also several other prizes, people can always investigare with which camera they were taken... instead of understing why it was taken.

Upvote 0

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
LDS said:
Stu_bert said:
The first prize is a 1DX mk II, so one assumes that Canon is actively supporting the awards, and therefore... :)

It's not a surprise Canon does sponsor a photographers' organization. Maybe to push Canon sales they should have give the prize to a camera actually on sale, intead of an older model?

The winner get a 1DX Mark II - not yet up for sale. What are you on about?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Mark D5 TEAM II said:
I can predict the reaction of the equipment measurebators already: "How did that picture win, you can see the obvious banding from the low-DR 5D2 sensor in the dark areas of that winning shot!" Teh Lulz! ;D :D ::)
+1000 and *lol* no need to lift any shadow here ;D ;D ;D

And once again it shows:
"The best camera is the one in your hand."
It's what you make out of it.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Mar 5, 2013
digital-jesus said:
He could have made the photo with a mobile phone with camera and the result would be the same

Jesus, no, unless you have a mobile phone that has a 24mm-equivalent lens with an f/1.4 aperture that can take usable ISO6400 shots at 1/5 sec. shutter speed. :p

The phone that can come closest to do that would be the LG G4 with an f/1.8 lens and full-manual controls. But you won't be taking usable IS06400 shots with that, guaranteed. :)

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Mar 5, 2013
Maximilian said:
Mark D5 TEAM II said:
I can predict the reaction of the equipment measurebators already: "How did that picture win, you can see the obvious banding from the low-DR 5D2 sensor in the dark areas of that winning shot!" Teh Lulz! ;D :D ::)
+1000 and *lol* no need to lift any shadow here ;D ;D ;D

And once again it shows:
"The best camera is the one in your hand."
It's what you make out of it.

Haha, I blame the DR-obsessed SoNikon fanboys that I even noticed the pattern banding on the dark areas of the winning shot even in the reduced-resolution version shown in the article. :p

Upvote 0

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
nightscape123 said:
Sure, the shot won for its emotional impact,

That's exactly that. Great photographs are remembered mostly, if not entirely, for their context. To me photography is always about connecting with the viewer, shadow noise and other technical astuteness be damned.

Does one now shooting with a 1DX look back at photographs of their children taken with a 4mp point and shoot at some point of time in the past say - what a crap photo?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
nightscape123 said:
Sure, the shot won for its emotional impact ... If he had been using the 1DXII ...
If he had... then maybe the emotional impact would NOT have been that good and he would NOT have won that price.

And if you had written 1DX instead of 1DXII it would have been better, too.
Because right now there are only just a few people that possess a 1DXII as it's release is still ahead.

Upvote 0
It's probably black and white due to noise and banding but still a very emotive shot which the grittiness suits. I'm sure he'll upgrade to a better camera but maybe not so soon. My guess is he'll get the 5dmkiv when it releases. Once you get familiar with the controls and the way the metering is you instinctively know what settings to use and a new camera takes time to learn.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Rahul said:
nightscape123 said:
Sure, the shot won for its emotional impact,

That's exactly that. Great photographs are remembered mostly, if not entirely, for their context. To me photography is always about connecting with the viewer, shadow noise and other technical astuteness be damned.

Does one now shooting with a 1DX look back at photographs of their children taken with a 4mp point and shoot at some point of time in the past say - what a crap photo?

Good points that the SoNikon fanboys just don't understand. Cameras are made to produce photos - not to conduct tests with. And despite the pixel peepers claims, cameras just haven't changed that much since the first DSLRs. I used the original rebel (6MP) for nine years then upgraded to a 6D. Also bought a SL1. When I print 8" x 10"s, you cannot tell which pic was taken with which camera. I do shoot in daylight, and yes, I realize that there have been some improvements in more demanding lighting conditions, but your older DSLRs are perfectly capable of taking excellent photos.

Upvote 0