You Can Now Rent the Sigma 200-500 f/2.8 EX DG APO

Status
Not open for further replies.
they had one on photokina this year. it was connected to 5Dc. it produced some nice testshots for me. the zoom-by-wire is not fast though, it has a lot of glass to move inside that barrel! and the AF speed was also only okay-ish. definiteley not zippy. but again, we know why 8)
I guess it could be very nice for video work. any demo videos out there of it? 500mm f2.8 should get you a nice subject/background separation not seen on video before...

douglaurent, you should put these monsters on top of HeLaBa in Frankfurt and take cityshots at dusk/night...i think that would instantly deliver awesome pictures! greetings to nearby-frankfurt from frankfurt!!! :)

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
I'm very interested to see how this performs at 500mm f/2.8.

Because seriously, if you can afford the size, weight, and price of the Siglauncher, then you can just as easily afford the size, weight, and price of an EF 300/2.8, EF 400/2.8, EF 500/4, and a few backup bodies to make up for the lack of zoom...

Upvote 0
D

douglaurent

rh81photo said:
they had one on photokina this year. it was connected to 5Dc. it produced some nice testshots for me. the zoom-by-wire is not fast though, it has a lot of glass to move inside that barrel! and the AF speed was also only okay-ish. definiteley not zippy. but again, we know why 8)
I guess it could be very nice for video work. any demo videos out there of it? 500mm f2.8 should get you a nice subject/background separation not seen on video before...

douglaurent, you should put these monsters on top of HeLaBa in Frankfurt and take cityshots at dusk/night...i think that would instantly deliver awesome pictures! greetings to nearby-frankfurt from frankfurt!!! :)
haha, i doubt they would let me up there :) but with the included 2x extender and a cropped sensor camera you have a nice 1600mm/5.6 lense to play with, good for detectives!

Upvote 0
D

douglaurent

brad-man said:
Who here among us has a tripod that would support that thing?

it works on tripods that are meant to carry 5-7kg only. as long as its balanced right, its steady. but its always tricky to move it up on the tripod first - if the plate doesnt fit on the head right away, you only have few seconds until the beast gets to heavy in the hands

Upvote 0
D

douglaurent

dr croubie said:
I'm very interested to see how this performs at 500mm f/2.8.

Because seriously, if you can afford the size, weight, and price of the Siglauncher, then you can just as easily afford the size, weight, and price of an EF 300/2.8, EF 400/2.8, EF 500/4, and a few backup bodies to make up for the lack of zoom...

to be honest: the 500mm on this are not that much more narrow than on the canon 400mm/2.8. and under zoom aspects, i was pretty impressed with the new 200-400/4 plus built in 1.4x extender at photokina. this lense feels really good and has an impressive range. and the lost stops compared to the sigma are not too much of a problem, because you can increase iso in newer cams like the 5d3, and in tele range the background is blurry enough at f4. see attached pic shows a 60d with the sigma at 500mm and f2.8. pic is not edited, it just demonstrates the bokeh.

Attachments

• sigma 200-500 2.8 at 500mm.JPG
    sigma 200-500 2.8 at 500mm.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 9,094
Upvote 0
douglaurent said:
i do own 2 sigma 200-500/2.8 - one canon mount, one nikon mount. did do some test shoots "canon girl vs nikon girl" a while ago, but never did release it anywhere. i'm located nearby frankfurt/germany, if somebody wants to use or test them, just email me to [email protected]

Holy crap! Frankfurt? I might take you up on that offer, I live in Mainz so it's maybe a 45 minute drive. I would LOVE to test that beast with the 2x converter on the moon. Best I've done was the 100-400 with the converter, an additional 200mm would be really cool to see.

Upvote 0
D

douglaurent

Forceflow said:
douglaurent said:
i do own 2 sigma 200-500/2.8 - one canon mount, one nikon mount. did do some test shoots "canon girl vs nikon girl" a while ago, but never did release it anywhere. i'm located nearby frankfurt/germany, if somebody wants to use or test them, just email me to [email protected]

Holy crap! Frankfurt? I might take you up on that offer, I live in Mainz so it's maybe a 45 minute drive. I would LOVE to test that beast with the 2x converter on the moon. Best I've done was the 100-400 with the converter, an additional 200mm would be really cool to see.

just send me an email!

Upvote 0
S

Sitting Elf

douglaurent said:

I live in Kaiserslautern when I'm on my six-weeks off from work as a helicopter pilot.
Since you offered, can I borrow your Canon version for my next six-weeks at work. It won't go far... I work in nearby Nigeria. Very secure there.. no crime or thefts! :eek: :eek: I'll get it back to you in 45 days....maybe. Thanks for the free offer!!! ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.