SIGMA 200-500mm f/2.8 in the field, JuzaPhoto revisits the SIGZilla

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The SIGMA 200-500mm f/2.8 EX DG was a very niche lens that SIGMA released in 2007. I had a chance to hold one back when Lensrentals.com had a copy of the behemoth. It’s big and heavy, but who was it made for? I have been told that law enforcement and military were the main customers

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
As an italian I know Juza very well, here in Italy let's just say the website, and they guy, are not really considered serious, just to be kind... ;)

Sooooo, one day trekking and sleeping in a tent with a 18kg lens, just to take the picture of a flower...lol.

Then a mono-expression and half asleep model, some random ducks, then the last day in the nature, not a single picture taken (not even that single flower!), apart from two backstage pictures of himself flexing the biceps; could expect nothing less from the guy ahah, seems like a photo shoot to create pics for his Tinder/Grindr profile ahahah :LOL:

The cityscapes are the only decent pictures, they're pretty good, but he could have easily taken them with something less exotic and less of a burden.

Nice lens, but he's still a clown, even more so then before; but kudos to him for putting the thing with the tripod in the water (even if he probably have enough money to pay the bill if the Sigmonster sunk in the water), you need balls for that.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
I know someone who has one for astronomy! The Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 is usually referred to as the "Sigmonster". I once saw someone carrying that 5.87kg/13lb monster. He didn't hand hold it.
5.8kg? Such a feather light ballerina!

The 1st version of EF 600mm 4.0 took 6.0kg onto the tripod. No, paired with an extender I did not handhold this ....

Upvote 0
Next up, the Canon 5200mm lens:

View attachment 212438

I can hear at the complaints already… At f/14, it is unusably slow. It needs an adapter to work with my R-series body. It doesn’t take extenders. Yada yada yada.
Does it even have a stabilizer? My EOS M100 doesn`t have IBIS, so can I shoot low light events with that?

Upvote 0