Your favourite motorsports events

Some more great shots there, keep them coming!

3 attempts of 1/10th from a test day 2 weeks ago, I think/hope I had better results from the weekend, but I haven't processed them all yet. The little 24mm pancake makes for an excellent lightweight wide angle!! Need to play with the 40mm pancake some more, felt like the AF was a little slower in comparison. Monopod definitely helps with slow shutter speeds on telephoto, didn't even try it with the pancake :p

Racing by Matt, on Flickr

2. Not quite as sharp as I would like :(

Untitled by Matt, on Flickr

3. I think this shows that at 1/10th, getting the whole car in focus might not be possible at either end? Unless its the effect of cornering that is pushing it OOF?

Missed apex by Matt, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Matt.
Wow, 1/10th, they are good, I think the blur on the ends might be down to the movement of the car, I'm hypothesising that we focus and track the centre of gravity, give or take, and that the ends of the car oscillate over bumps around the C of G causing the blurred ends and sharp centre. (Just thinking out loud here).

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:
Some more great shots there, keep them coming!

3 attempts of 1/10th from a test day 2 weeks ago, I think/hope I had better results from the weekend, but I haven't processed them all yet. The little 24mm pancake makes for an excellent lightweight wide angle!! Need to play with the 40mm pancake some more, felt like the AF was a little slower in comparison. Monopod definitely helps with slow shutter speeds on telephoto, didn't even try it with the pancake :p

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Geoff.
Thank you for your kind words, I'm happy that they brought back good memories, there was plenty of Castrol R in the air that weekend.

Cheers, Graham.

GeoffN said:
Graham,

Your great photos (more fantastic panning shots) of the 2-stroke Yamaha TZ250's bring back some of my favorite memories of GP racing in the 70's and 80's. The Honda is also a very special sight. The sights, sounds and smell of Castor Bean oil pre-mix at Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Riverside & the Daytona 200 with several future World Champions. It's great to see current photos of such relatively low tech (by modern standards) racing machines. Again, excellent panning in your photos with beautiful back grounds at Goodwood. Thank you for posting.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Excellent captures Matt and Graham! I agree with click - you are being too hard on yourself Graham.

We had some historics running around at the GP too including a couple of very nice ERAs

Attachments

• GP Thursday (103 of 131).jpg
    GP Thursday (103 of 131).jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 186
  • ERA R10B (1 of 1).jpg
    ERA R10B (1 of 1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • GP Thursday (26 of 131).jpg
    GP Thursday (26 of 131).jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 195
  • GP Thursday (11 of 131).jpg
    GP Thursday (11 of 131).jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 194
  • GP Thursday (4 of 131).jpg
    GP Thursday (4 of 131).jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 175
  • GP Thursday (28 of 131).jpg
    GP Thursday (28 of 131).jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
A very nice series of the historic racers, good call on the B&W shots.

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
Excellent captures Matt and Graham! I agree with click - you are being too hard on yourself Graham.

We had some historics running around at the GP too including a couple of very nice ERAs

Upvote 0
I agree with the others, far to harsh on yourself Graham!

A few more from the test day:

1. Starting to really enjoy the little 24mm pancake for motorsport, giving me some different results to others stood at the same spot, lots of fun!

4. Interesting how much roll different cars get!

Saving Tyres by Matt, on Flickr

5. I have started to enjoy looking for these little gaps in barriers that show a bit more of the cars, hard work, few and far between, but satisfying when it works!

6. Test days also allow access to the paddock and other normally off limit areas, giving me somewhere new to shoot from, an area the marshals usually shoo the public from on raceday

7. Become a little less enthused by by front/rear on shots recently, they just don't seem to have quite that same drama to them?

C&C as always, very welcome.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Matt.
Thank you for your kind words.
Another very nice series of shots from you, do you have to crop a lot when using the 24mm? Even at Goodwood where the spectators are relatively close to the track I can't imagine shooting at 24mm and getting so close in to the cars without cropping, or are you press and have access to closer shooting areas.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Matt.
Thanks for the info cropping.
I think we all would like press access to wherever it is we like to go for photos, but the chances of that are pretty unlikely, as in slim to nil.

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:
Thanks guys.

Graham, I do crop everything, 24mm require a bit more of a crop than others. I shoot in...whatever the camera is set to and crop to 16:9 in lightroom. Would like to have press access, it would open up new shooting possibilities, but also in some ways I wouldn't get some of the shots I get currently?

Upvote 0