Further clarification on the upcoming Canon CINI lenses

We have received a detailed clarification (thank you) on the upcoming two cinema lenses that we leaked back in early March.
According to the source, these new lenses are not based on the RF mount.  The lenses have been designed for the EF and PL mounts.  This actually makes sense for Canon’s CINI lenses as the lenses would then support the largest possible market share of high-end cinema cameras.     It would also be impractical to support PL and the RF mount in one lens as the PL mount is 52mm for the flange to sensor distance, versus 20mm for the RF mount.  Meanwhile, the EF mount which is also a quasi-industry standard has a 44mm flange to sensor distance, making the conversion to PL far more realistic.
These lenses are also designed for full-frame and are 8K capable, and even larger than full-frame image circles. The source mentions that the lenses are capable of supporting Alexa LF.  They are also rumored to be the fastest cinema zooms available on the market when they are...

Continue reading...

will4m

C200 + R5 C
Aug 27, 2019
I am hoping that there is also a follow-up to the CN-E "Compact Servo" line that could take advantage of the increased lens design flexibility afforded by the RF for full-frame offerings with similar characteristics to the CN-E 18-80 (parfocal, minimal focus breathing, IS, etc). Of course, wouldn't expect these to be anywhere as fast as the $35k lenses mentioned above; but even if they stayed at T4.4, T4.4 on a full frame sensor is pretty good in most situations.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am hoping that there is also a follow-up to the CN-E "Compact Servo" line that could take advantage of the increased lens design flexibility afforded by the RF for full-frame offerings with similar characteristics to the CN-E 18-80 (parfocal, minimal focus breathing, IS, etc). Of course, wouldn't expect these to be anywhere as fast as the $35k lenses mentioned above; but even if they stayed at T4.4, T4.4 on a full frame sensor is pretty good in most situations.

I'd like to see the servo unit "swappable" between lenses in the line to reduce bulk and cost, but that's probably asking too much. I'm good with F4/T4.4 on this style lens and think many are. I'd rather see a 35-150 (or similar) if they're going to limit the line to two lenses. The 70-200 is great optically the few times I've seen the images, but personally find myself needed a wider option more often. The Tamron 35-150mm (now discontinued?) is a great all around compromise for most of the situations I'd want a compact servo.

Upvote 0
These lenses are also designed for full-frame (....) and even larger than full-frame image circles. The source mentions that the lenses are capable of supporting Alexa LF.
That means VistaVision format or ø46.3mm image circle (e.g.: RED Weapon Monstro and Panavision Millenium DXL).

Arri Alexa LF's sensor has a 44.7mm diagonal.

Fast zoom lenses covering the VistaVision format include:
  • Fujinon Premista 28-100mm T/2.9 and 80-250mm T/2.9-3.5 (T/2.9 until 200 mm)
  • Leitz VistaVision 25-75mm T/2.8 and 55-125mm T/2,8.

Upvote 0
The full frame zoom market is now pretty fleshed out. I like the idea of faster, so we are talking T2 or faster. My guess is a cinema version of the 28-70 f2? I adore that lens. Might be a nice way to be distinct. The primestas have the best mid range throw with the 28-100. But Arri, Leica, Cooke, angx, zeiss and Fuji all have great options now. It’s a tough market. Around 40k you have the Fuji which is popular, and is a solid choice.

Upvote 0