New Canon Tilt-Shift lenses in the wild [CR2]

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
I highly doubt it will be motorized. However, it would be great if the TS movements were encoded, as that would allow automated lens corrections based on TS settings.
Not expecting it for this generation of TS lenses, but dropping hints for a certain manufacturer to implement in future iterations... *ahem wink wink*

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
"tossing around 50%" would mean you crop literally at the horizon, which is a fairly rare occurrence in my experience. I find it's more like a 60/40 ratio most of the time and ideally I've aimed for an image using 24x24 pixels so basically 2/3 of the area which is using the 5dsr as I did, nets 33Mp which is good for even large format coffee table size books and publications as well as a 36" print easily.

I don't understand how even at 50% you end up at only 18Mp from a 45 Mp sensor unless you're cropping out a horizontal image from the top portion.

Upvote 0
If your workflow allows the time, the tse 17, shift-stitched, is superior in my experience. However, this approach is cumbersome at best when combining shots where people are moving about or the light is changing.

One must also remember that a minimum of 3 zones are required for the full width shift-stitch approach.

Additionally, this is asking for plenty of annoyance if shifting the lens instead of shifting the body.

Lastly, I used your idea 'wide lens, level, crop as needed for final composition' for several years before the tse 17 existed. The canon 11-24 didn't exist either so it was the Sigma 12-24 did that job when I needed to work quickly and didn't have time to shift-stitch the 24 tse.

I did use it as a full frame image as well sometimes which would usually be something like a stairwell or atrium type of space with people moving through. I literally never used it for any focal length other than widest though.
Yep - I do the shift-stitch thing, but almost always it's a vertical shift. Not always a horror mess - sometimes I'm just adding sky. The time does indeed add up! And I can't make myself buy and use one of those clamp-the-lens contraptions. If Canon would only put a shoe on the lens like I forget the German lens decades ago,,,

Upvote 0
The Rogetti lens mount is great. I've used it since it first came out. Prior to that was a terribly cumbersome deal that took time to mount and only worked well in one direction such that you had to tilt the whole system sideways for a left/right 36x48 result, but it worked when there was literally nothing else on the market.

Yes, the easiest shift-add-on is some sky or landscape with a whole primary subject contained in the main shot. Once 50Mp bodies were born, this was less important but previously when there were fewer Mp and only a 24 tse, it was practically mandatory.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
At last I can have a T/S lens to play with! - when the used market is flooded with unwanted TS-E 24s and the price drops like a stone ;-)

Personally I have no need for AF, nor would I gain much from improved reporting if indeed that happens. But I'm sure many others will want these things, and if the RF lenses are physically smaller that will be attractive too.

My EF-EOS R drop-in adapter and I are waiting for your cast-offs!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
f4 will have a deeper depth of field than say the 50/1.2 or 85/1.2 but for portraiture photography, will you have enough time to adjust tilt for face angle before the model moves?
I have noticed in photos from olden times that models used to stay perfectly still for a long time for photos like they still do for sketches and paintings.

Upvote 0
I have noticed in photos from olden times that models used to stay perfectly still for a long time for photos like they still do for sketches and paintings.
Absolutely but no one smiled in the old photos :)
Maybe we should all meditate a little more with a focus on stillness!

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
will you have enough time to adjust tilt for face angle before the model moves?
With focus peaking a different work flow is possible.
The follwing three pictures were shot with the TS-E 90mm and R5 handheld.
A tilt macro lens with AF would be a dream!:love:
tilted-frog-jpg.208162
tiled-admiral_02-jpg.208161
tiled-admiral-jpg.208160

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
Are you a wizard?
No, no!

:ROFLMAO:

I think that with focus peaking and handholding, you can tilt and shift the camera to adjust the plane of focus on the subject, which is much more convenient than adjusting the tilt&shift on the lens.
Of cause no shift but the rest is how I did it.(y)

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I will not switch from my current 17mm....
SLR wide-angles are far larger, more complicated, heavier and more expensive than non-mirror lenses where they can put the rear elements as close as they want to to the sensor. All those factors can be reduced by making the SLR lens less sharp and so on. I imagine an RF 17mm will be so much better than the EF version you'll find the upgrade compelling. Even without the specific advantages for wide angles, the modern Canon primes often are far far better image quality than the EF generation: the 50/1.2 and 135/1.8 show huge improvement, for instance.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
Cropping on the 11-24 to correct for perspective correction on tall buildings works well if you do not require high resolution, though I would recommend doing that with a R5 than my R6. You end up tossing around 50% or more of the pixels in an image. I end up with around an 8mpx image but on a R5 that translates to around 18mpx, which is a lot more feasible.
For me tilt is an attractive feature of the TS lenses but since digital cameras I've not been excited about shift. It's too easy to just correct perspective in Photoshop. I've been using the TS24mm from 1996 and wrote several of the first articles on the web about it (such as one Philip Greenspun put on his site) but I think I sold it a few years after getting the EOS-1Ds MkI.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
For me tilt is an attractive feature of the TS lenses but since digital cameras I've not been excited about shift. It's too easy to just correct perspective in Photoshop. I've been using the TS24mm from 1996 and wrote several of the first articles on the web about it (such as one Philip Greenspun put on his site) but I think I sold it a few years after getting the EOS-1Ds MkI.
Correcting for shift prior to digital was not hard either, just tilt the paper plane under the enlarger to make perspective corrected prints.

That said, I still feel the resolution loss from photoshop correction is greater than perspective correction on film. Ideally it would be done at time of capture.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
Correcting for shift prior to digital was not hard either, just tilt the paper plane under the enlarger to make perspective corrected prints.

That said, I still feel the resolution loss from photoshop correction is greater than perspective correction on film. Ideally it would be done at time of capture.
That'd be easy with black and white, prints, hard for color prints, and becomes impossible with slides. My stock photography was all slide-based but I shot my topic with correct perspective. Usually though it was just a matter of holding the camera level, not using shift. I didn't actually use my 24TS much at all, except weirdly to make some super-wide panoramas shifting left then right then manually stitching the results together.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That'd be easy with black and white, prints, hard for color prints, and becomes impossible with slides. My stock photography was all slide-based but I shot my topic with correct perspective. Usually though it was just a matter of holding the camera level, not using shift. I didn't actually use my 24TS much at all, except weirdly to make some super-wide panoramas shifting left then right then manually stitching the results together.
While I would really miss my TSE 24, especially visiting a city.
24 TSE on the EOS, 90mm on Leica M, and 70-200 in backpack.
And always handheld...
PS: waiting impatiently for the TS 14mm.

Upvote 0