New Canon Tilt-Shift lenses in the wild [CR2]

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
That'd be easy with black and white, prints, hard for color prints, and becomes impossible with slides. My stock photography was all slide-based but I shot my topic with correct perspective. Usually though it was just a matter of holding the camera level, not using shift. I didn't actually use my 24TS much at all, except weirdly to make some super-wide panoramas shifting left then right then manually stitching the results together.
Back in the day you could use Cibachrome make enlargement of slides, but now probably costs your left kidney to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Not expecting it for this generation of TS lenses, but dropping hints for a certain manufacturer to implement in future iterations... *ahem wink wink*

Dropping hints here and hoping anyone at Canon's lens design team sees them has only slightly better odds than writing a letter to the President of the United States, tossing it in your trash, and hoping it somehow makes its way from the landfill to the President's eyes.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
At last I can have a T/S lens to play with! - when the used market is flooded with unwanted TS-E 24s and the price drops like a stone ;-)

Personally I have no need for AF, nor would I gain much from improved reporting if indeed that happens. But I'm sure many others will want these things, and if the RF lenses are physically smaller that will be attractive too.

My EF-EOS R drop-in adapter and I are waiting for your cast-offs!

There aren't enough of the old TS-E 24mm lenses in circulation to ever "flood" the market. I'd hazard a guess that most of the buyers of any new TS-R lenses will be younger shooters who never owned a TS-E lens. It's just like a large portion of EF Super Telephoto owners are not replacing them with RF Great Whites, nor are the prices of used EF Super Telephotos reflective of a "flooded" market.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
SLR wide-angles are far larger, more complicated, heavier and more expensive than non-mirror lenses where they can put the rear elements as close as they want to to the sensor. All those factors can be reduced by making the SLR lens less sharp and so on. I imagine an RF 17mm will be so much better than the EF version you'll find the upgrade compelling. Even without the specific advantages for wide angles, the modern Canon primes often are far far better image quality than the EF generation: the 50/1.2 and 135/1.8 show huge improvement, for instance.

Especially if your primary interest is reproducing flat, two-dimensional subjects parallel to the camera's sensor...

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Dropping hints here and hoping anyone at Canon's lens design team sees them has only slightly better odds than writing a letter to the President of the United States, tossing it in your trash, and hoping it somehow makes its way from the landfill to the President's eyes.

Attachments

• dumb-and-dumber-comedy.gif
    dumb-and-dumber-comedy.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Especially if your primary interest is reproducing flat, two-dimensional subjects parallel to the camera's sensor...
Especially and particularly if your primary and main interest and need is reproducing and making copies of flat, two-dimensional subjects and objects that are parallel and in the same orientation to the camera's sensor and image plane.

(Just in case "flat, two-dimensional" wasn't sufficiently redundant and repetitive enough ;) .)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Prices seem to be going up.
It does not shock me as now we have more affordable capable cameras.
Used F mount super teles are so much cheaper.

Older F-mount Super Teles were not as good optically as older EF mount Super Teles, either. Also, EF super Teles all the way back to 1987 work seamlessly with both EF bodies and adapted RF bodies. Some older F-mount Super Teles with mechanical aperture linkages (pretty much all F-mount lenses prior to lens models introduced in 2016 or later) do not work as well, if at all, with adapted Z-mount bodies.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Older F-mount Super Teles were not as good optically as older EF mount Super Teles, either. Also, EF super Teles all the way back to 1987 work seamlessly with both EF bodies and adapted RF bodies. Some older F-mount Super Teles with mechanical aperture linkages (pretty much all F-mount lenses prior to lens models introduced in 2016 or later) do not work as well, if at all, with adapted Z-mount bodies.
I had recently noticed much lower prices for F mount super Tele than the EF counterparts. Is this the reason?

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
There aren't enough of the old TS-E 24mm lenses in circulation to ever "flood" the market. I'd hazard a guess that most of the buyers of any new TS-R lenses will be younger shooters who never owned a TS-E lens. It's just like a large portion of EF Super Telephoto owners are not replacing them with RF Great Whites, nor are the prices of used EF Super Telephotos reflective of a "flooded" market.
I can dream, can't I?
BTW I am one of those EF super tele owners who can see no reason to upgrade, so I do know what you mean!

Upvote 0