135mm f/1.8 DG OS ART Next from Sigma? [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, how are this calculations done? To me, I agree, it's a little brother to a 200 f/2 - if it's sharp enough for the cropping.
[/quote]

Sorry it's late and I just assume everyone knows what I'm thinking..

For example, if you were to use the Canon 135 F2 at a low light reception/wedding, and following the rule of 1/shutter speed, 1/125 to avoid camera shake. So say its dark enough for it to be F2, 1/125, ISO 6400 but with OS (stabilization) and assuming we get a few stops of it, you could be shooting at F2, 1/30 ISO 1600 instead provided the subject is quite stationary. So you could get shots the Canon cannot get.

I said a 'mini' 200mm F2 because if you had the 200mm F2.8 at a dark reception, at 1/200, F2.8, ISO 12800.. but with the F2 having IS and an extra stop of light, you could be shooting at 1/50, F2, ISO 1600 instead.

Upvote 0
This is pretty amazing... Sigma is really coming out with some great products. I hope it pushes the seemingly gradual, and not so gradual, pricing that Canon has been doing lately.

I'm a Zeiss lover and it would be pretty hard for me to change. And their current 85mm is actually cheaper than Sigma's similar lens. No autofocus on the Zeiss but there it's made of all metal....

Good and EXCITING times!

Upvote 0
Suddenly, are we entering a time when the non-mfg lenses become serious tools for (at least some of) the amateurs (advanced or otherwise) and (starting) professionals instead of being the consolation prizes for some amateurs? Will all these take the competition to Canon and Nikon, or will we still secretly desire "I hope this makes cannon drop its prices" instead of buying these non-mfg lenses?

I have not used any L lenses other than the 100mm 2.8 IS macro and 24-105mm (which most probably do not consider to be a "fantastic" L, let alone "great"). So the most I am hoping is all these newer breeds of lenses
from the third party manufacturers will fill the gap between the standard canon offerings and their L counterparts. Or can we expect something more - actual competition to some of the Ls.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Shane1.4 said:
I just bought the 135L and love it. What I really need is a 50mm that is as good as Sigma 35 1.4.

+ 1

While I really like the Siggy Art 35, I would be hard pressed to give up my favorite Canon lens - 135. That is even if Canon was to release a new "improved" version of it, be it with IS, aperture of 1.8 or whatever. IMHO it is perfect just as it is.

Upvote 0
drjlo said:
Dare I say new Sigma 300 mm f/4 and 400 mm f/5.6 in ART line, compatible with the excellent Canon 2x III and 1.4x III, with f/8 AF firmware update coming for 5D III :D

Just guessing, but a 300mm or a 400mm lens would probably be "S" for "sport" in their new Art, Sport and Contemporary groupings.

Whatever they'd call it, if they could make a really great 400mm at f/4 priced less than Canon's, or even a 400 f/5.6 priced the same as the old Canon version, that would be big news.

Upvote 0
pierceography said:
K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
Oh my... If it as good as the 35mm 1.4, I could end up replacing all my primes with sigmas. Never in a million years would I imagine that.

HAHA Ramon, your wish came true... chances are, this won't even cost $2700.

Ha, yeah... First thing I thought of when I saw 135mm f/1.8 OS was Ramon. :)

+1. Lol. It looks like Ramon will keep his kidney!

For me, stabilization is always welcome in a lens beyond 50mm. That said, this would need to be priced competitively with the 135mm L for me to switch over anytime soon. But WOW... f/1.8 would be like having an "affordable" 200mm f/2 L!

Upvote 0
LOL, so when can I pre-order???

As for the 50, I've been pleased with the existing one after I sent it in to service the "front focus up close, back focus at distance" syndrome. They totally fixed it with a firmware update. That said, I'd definitely want to see if the ART version 50 is better than the current version 50 after being dialed in.

Upvote 0
cdang said:
Wow F1.8 with OS ? Just imagine what you could do with this at a wedding at a low light reception.
Get lots of blurry and/or OOF shots?
With the sigma and OS, assuming you have a few stops of OS, you could easily be shooting at 1/30 ish providing the subject is stationary. That could easily be 2 stop of noise. I have both the 135 F2 and 200 F2 and with the 200 and IS you can easily shoot 1/30 or 1/50 all night long
When are humans ever stationary enough to shoot at 1/30, especially at a wedding reception????

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
dolina said:
I am unfamiliar with Sigma marketing terms so this is a 135mm with an aperture of f/1.8 with Optical Stabilization for a full frame camera?

Hi Dolina, No, I understand this particular 135 f/1.8 is designed for APSC.

I've tried to figure out how Sigma name their Gear to differentiate between APSC/FF, but haven't come up with the answer, seems a little confusing to me, perhaps someone else has worked it out & can Post.

I do have the new 35f/1.4 Art & I find it an excellent Lens, this particular Lens was designed for FF, I own only 2 Non Canon Lenses, both Sigma, the 70 Macro (For Underwater) & the 35f/1.4, the new Art Lenses by Sigma would seem to be putting the Fox in the Hen Hatch, great to see if they can continue to develop Lenses of the quality/Price of the 35f/1.4.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
dirtcastle said:
pierceography said:
K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
Oh my... If it as good as the 35mm 1.4, I could end up replacing all my primes with sigmas. Never in a million years would I imagine that.

HAHA Ramon, your wish came true... chances are, this won't even cost $2700.

Ha, yeah... First thing I thought of when I saw 135mm f/1.8 OS was Ramon. :)

+1. Lol. It looks like Ramon will keep his kidney!

For me, stabilization is always welcome in a lens beyond 50mm. That said, this would need to be priced competitively with the 135mm L for me to switch over anytime soon. But WOW... f/1.8 would be like having an "affordable" 200mm f/2 L!

I rather like the idea of this 135mm AND keeping both kidneys. ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.