17-55mm... should I keep it or sell it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
1st step - sell all your crop & others craps :p

XS -> 60D -> 5d Mkiii : 18-55 -> 24-105L : 75-300mm -> 55-250mm -> 70-300mm -> 70-200mm f4L USM -> 70-200mm f/2.8L USM -> 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Mkii : 50mm f/1.8 -> 50mm f/1.4 & 100mm f/2.8L macro : 8mm fisheye for kicks. - you should get decent extra cash there.

Your future gear:
1st body: 5D III + 24-70 f2.8 II
2nd body: 5D III + 70-200 f2.8 IS II

Low light & protrait lenses:
1. 50 f1.4
2. 85L II and/or 135L

DONE...so much less lenses in the bag ;)

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:

XS -> 60D -> 5d Mkiii : 18-55 -> 24-105L : 75-300mm -> 55-250mm -> 70-300mm -> 70-200mm f4L USM -> 70-200mm f/2.8L USM -> 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Mkii : 50mm f/1.8 -> 50mm f/1.4 & 100mm f/2.8L macro : 8mm fisheye for kicks. - you should get decent extra cash there.

Your future gear:

1. 50 f1.4
2. 85L II and/or 135L

I'd go :

1. 5DIII with 24-70 2.8 II
2. 7DII (presuming it's outstanding) with 70-200 2.8L IS II

Other Lenses:

1. 50 1.4 II (hopefully)
2. 16-35 2.8L III (hopefully)
3. 24 1.4 L
4. 100 - 400 4.5-5.6 L IS II (hopefully)
5. Teleconverter 1.4x III

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
jdramirez said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I sold my 17-55 a few months after selling my 40D and going to FF totally, so when I bought a refurb 7D a year later, I bought a 15-85. Now that I have a 16-35 which works on my FF and on crop, I'm well covered.
I'm not sure why I'm keeping the 15-85, I just like it for all around use.

I feel bad when I don't use my lenses. Almost like they are on the playground and are never picked to get into the game.

Haha I know what you mean. I throw my 35-80 4-5.6 iii on my 60D sometimes just because. and im like "Awwe, see, you dont take THAT bad of shots little old cheap lens!" haha

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Dylan777 said:

Your future gear:

1. 50 f1.4
2. 85L II and/or 135L

I should update my signature. I already sold my 50mm. it was in really good condition because I was always afraid I would drop it and the auto focus would go bye bye.

I do have the 100 for sale as well, but I'm waiting for the rebate to expire to make mine a better value.

I'm still not sold on a 24-70 mkii. I know it is great, but I think I need one for a week of heavy shooting side by side with my 24-105 before I come to that conclusion.

the fish eye is just a toy. I'll keep it because it takes interesting photos.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
jdramirez said:
Dylan777 said:

Your future gear:

1. 50 f1.4
2. 85L II and/or 135L

I'm still not sold on a 24-70 mkii. I know it is great, but I think I need one for a week of heavy shooting side by side with my 24-105 before I come to that conclusion.

You will be wasting your time. I can predict the future....it's 24-70 II ;D

Off topic: I sold my 16-35 II on CL for $1375. I also returned 135L back to BH. This will help me getting closer to my dream lens, 400mm f2.8 IS II ::)

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
The_Arsonist said:
We need to make a poll to see how many Canon Rumors members are currently listing their 17-55 on Amazon. I believe I make it two for Amazon US

So you are my competition... I hope you sell yours... after I sell mine. But I'm talking only 10 minutes or so; it doesn't have to be a long wait.

Speaking of waiting, how long has it been listed? I have put some lenses up at 10p.m. and they sold by 11p.m. that same night... but I'm guessing I'll have to play the waiting game with this one.

It's been up for about a month, but I originally started it around $800. I've only in the past couple days put it under $750. I think at $700 it would sell pretty quick: that's what I paid for mine when I got in on Craigslist a couple years ago.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Dylan777 said:
jdramirez said:
To add closure to the story, someone did buy my lens. YAY! It is a birthday gift, so I gift wrapped it for them. And the wife found the missing money from our savings account this morning and I told her to shut the front door.

The last time I did that...I ended up with P&S ;D

Funny. But I got lucky so I don't have to sleep in the doghouse tonight... though i did sleep in the baby's room last night.

I'm mulling over buying a 35L for $900... but that will have to wait until I sell a few more things.

Upvote 0
I'm in a similar boat... my 17-55 has sat in my lens cupboard for the last 6 months (since i got my 5d)... I was saving it for my back-up camera, but now i'm thinking of selling it.

My wife is getting a 100D and I was thinking she might use it with it, but attaching it to the 100D makes the combo so heavy/unbalanced i know she won't like it much.

My 450D is more use as a paper weight... it is so bashed up and crappy (compared to the 5D) I don't see much point keeping the 17-55 for it, since i have barely used it anyway...

I vote sell it... That is what i'm going to do, and put the money towards something else (I can get a 24 2.8 IS for not much more than the re-sale price... A plus for the 100D/wife and my 5D alike). :)

Upvote 0
adhocphotographer said:
I'm in a similar boat... my 17-55 has sat in my lens cupboard for the last 6 months (since i got my 5d)... I was saving it for my back-up camera, but now i'm thinking of selling it.

My wife is getting a 100D and I was thinking she might use it with it, but attaching it to the 100D makes the combo so heavy/unbalanced i know she won't like it much.

My 450D is more use as a paper weight... it is so bashed up and crappy (compared to the 5D) I don't see much point keeping the 17-55 for it, since i have barely used it anyway...

I vote sell it... That is what i'm going to do, and put the money towards something else (I can get a 24 2.8 IS for not much more than the re-sale price... A plus for the 100D/wife and my 5D alike). :)

Another one! We could start a club! Has anyone from this thread sold theirs yet?

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Zv said:
adhocphotographer said:

Another one! We could start a club! Has anyone from this thread sold theirs yet?

I sold mine the other day. sent it to California.

Upvote 0
Add another member to the club. I've not used mine in a year, and all efforts to sell it have amounted to nothing. Being in a smaller market, most people have assumed it's a replacement for the kit lens, despite my best efforts to share factual information about the lens.

My closest opportunity came when I was contacted by a very nice young person who was willing to buy it for my asking price. She'd been doing paid work for a while and was ready to upgrade her equipment to the next level. We were all ready to go when she told me she was excited, as it should be the perfect lens for her 5D mark ii... ???

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
CANONisOK said:
Add another member to the club. I've not used mine in a year, and all efforts to sell it have amounted to nothing. Being in a smaller market, most people have assumed it's a replacement for the kit lens, despite my best efforts to share factual information about the lens.

My closest opportunity came when I was contacted by a very nice young person who was willing to buy it for my asking price. She'd been doing paid work for a while and was ready to upgrade her equipment to the next level. We were all ready to go when she told me she was excited, as it should be the perfect lens for her 5D mark ii... ???

that is frustrating. but she really should know better once you start paying for full frame.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
CANONisOK said:

that is frustrating. but she really should know better once you start paying for full frame.

That would have been interesting to watch her try and screw it onto the 5DII. Oh the look on her face! Then again she would have ended up breaking it, and it's such a lovely lens!

Upvote 0
CANONisOK said:

I guess she is not much into gear! ::) Not sold mine yet... It is too expensive for most folk out here (India), and the major players use FF... :(

Upvote 0
Zv said:
adhocphotographer said:

Sold mine at the beginning of the week on Amazon

Upvote 0
adhocphotographer said:

Why not convert your 450d to do IR? It may open a whole new world of creativeness for you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.