1Ds mark III sensor has hundreds of dead/hot pixels.

Hi every experts!
I bought a second-hand 1Ds mark iii, which was manufactured in 2008.
Yesterday, I tested it for dead pixels, to find out that it has a lot of dead/hot pixels. The shutter speed is 30s, ISO 200, with body cap on and viewfinder closed. There are 101 dead pixels, and 924 hot pixels.
The situation will be worse when increase the iso number.
I have used the "clean sensor manually" hoursly. But still few luck.

Mar 25, 2011
By Hot pixels do you mean ones that are stuck on, or just ones you can see after boosting the exposure.

Sensors always get hot and dead pixels as they age, but they normally are not a issue in photos. Make sure that you are not boosting the exposure by 4 stops or more to be able to see them.

Normally, NR can remove them.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
By Hot pixels do you mean ones that are stuck on, or just ones you can see after boosting the exposure.

Sensors always get hot and dead pixels as they age, but they normally are not a issue in photos. Make sure that you are not boosting the exposure by 4 stops or more to be able to see them.

Normally, NR can remove them.

Yes, it has little impact on normal shoots, the test is a bit long time and high iso exposure, there is much fewer when shoot faster and lower ISO. The 1ds3 has much more dead/hot pixels that 5d2.

Upvote 0
Mine has always produced a good handful of red or other-coloured pixels on long exposures. The longer exposure, the more (at least obvious) coloured pixels are produced. I have no problem in healing them out, but I'm not sure if I'd be so pleased with 900-odd. Shorter exposures in the handheld-range rarely show any.

A used 1DSIII seems to be fetching only around £1100-£1200 now (bad news for me) so, as others have said, I guess you really have to accept the age-related issues you might come across. It's still a damn-good camera when used correctly, especially at it's current used-price. Just be careful hanging that beast with L lenses from your neck - my neck is permanently damaged!

Upvote 0
DigglerDawg said:
Mine has always produced a good handful of red or other-coloured pixels on long exposures. The longer exposure, the more (at least obvious) coloured pixels are produced. I have no problem in healing them out, but I'm not sure if I'd be so pleased with 900-odd. Shorter exposures in the handheld-range rarely show any.

A used 1DSIII seems to be fetching only around £1100-£1200 now (bad news for me) so, as others have said, I guess you really have to accept the age-related issues you might come across. It's still a damn-good camera when used correctly, especially at it's current used-price. Just be careful hanging that beast with L lenses from your neck - my neck is permanently damaged!
It seems that the older the camera are, the more dead pixels it has. I am not very annoyed about the dead/hot pixels.
Thanks you:)

Upvote 0