1DX Mark II vs 7D Mark II experience

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
tron said:
There was a case where I could not focus correctly on a bird (Great Reed Warbler). Lighting was not ideal (it was not front lit for sure).

Fortunately after driving a few hundred meters I found a similar (if not the same :) ) bird and I was able to focus successfully. The funny thing was that the focusing conditions were harder (this time there were moving reed beds due to air) in that case but everything went OK. The shooting angle was different than the first case of course....

In both cases the gear was the same: 5DsR + 500 f/4 IS II.

I had great expectations for the 1DX2 and for the most part it has been delivering but I now comprehend that some flittering bird shots are only going to be in focus by luck. I thought (how dumb of me) that if focus point(s) were over a bird's head when shot that the head had to be in focus, assuming correct AFMA. I also didn't realize how much difference cross or double cross points make compared with single line. Factor in 400 X2, which just isn't up to 400 levels and well ...

And of course the better the lighting the better the focus performance. I smile when I hear/see these DR debates with illustrative shots that are so challenging that I'd just say, "what are you so stupid as to think that this situation would give you a good usable photo". Next thing we'll hear is that one should be able to shoot directly into the sun.

I'm learning that I still have to be skilled and creative to acquire challenging shots and fortunately am still thrilled with the amazing camera I have and what it's potentially going to do for me if I persist. :) The problem is behind the camera. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0