1DX Mark II vs 7D Mark II experience

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
I upgraded to a 1DX mark II from a 7D mark II and this is my experience from the upgrade.

I previously had 2 7D Mark II's and now have upgraded my main camera to a 1DX mark II. I still have 1 7D Mark II as my second body. My primary lens on the 1DX2 is the 70-200 2.8 II and secondary lens (on the 7D2 the 16-35 f4 IS). I primarily shoot cycling photos.

I have to say the AF performance is hands down better than the 7D2. I have a higher keeper rate and the images are noticeably better. A no brainer since we are comparing full frame to crop. I never really used AF zone or AF full on the 7D2 because the AF would slow down noticeably. Not the case with the 1DX2.

I usually use AF 9pt expansion but in certain situations I will use AF zone or AF full with ITR (face recognition) and I notice no noticeable difference in AF performance. It does everything I want with no performance hit and a higher keeper rate than the 7D2.

The extra 14 fps is certainly noticeable especially since you don't see a slowdown when you are using expanded AF points with AF point switching.

There are two downsides, though they are outweighed by the better performance. 1 is the fact that the AF points are more centered in the frame. But in all honesty, the AF spread in the crop vs full frame is the same, you just have extra space outside of the AF zone. 2nd is the extra reach. I sometimes miss the extra reach the crop sensor gives you. I was usually fine with the 320mm the 7D2 gave me with me 70-200 but it may be a matter of retraining my mind with the full frame sensor. I wouldn't mind having a 300 or 400 2.8 but that is an extra $8-10000 i'll need to invest.

But the image quality, high ISO performance and all around better AF performance outweighs the two downsides I noticed with the 7D2. Also there are ergonomic differences that make the 1DX2 better. The body feels a lot more solid and the vertical thumb stick is in a better position where I can reach the main dial without much effort. Another advantage is getting to image review is much faster on the 1DX2.

Is it worth the price? If you have the glass and want to step up to the next level, yes. But starting new, you can buy 2 7D2's, a 70-200 2.8 II and 16-35 f4 IS for the same price as just the 1DX2 body.

Jan 13, 2013
+1

I sold my 7D Mark II as soon as I got the 1DX II. For me there is light and day difference between the two cameras.

That being said, after having used the 1DX II, I'm selling my 5D Mark III as well. I was initially thinking about retaining it as a backup body but after the 1DX II experience I'm going back to shooting with it any more. No use keeping it as an expensive paperweight.

Upvote 0
I also upgraded from a 7d2 to a 1Dx2 and the difference is incredible. I now shoot at ISOs that I never would have dreamed on the 5D3, let alone the 7D2. I agree that the AF is much better. The weight doesn't bother me too much, because I use it with a 200-400/1.4x. The shorter reach isn't so bad - mainly because the image quality makes up a portion of it.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the size of the charger. I understand the battery size, but I would've been fine with charging just one battery at a time. Also, the cord is huge. This makes a difference when travelling.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
I hope the brand new $6k body is better than the several year old $1.5k body :eek:

That said, its an interesting and relevent comparison. Any thoughts on going from crop to FF? Did you keep the same lenses or did you go longer with the switch? Is the size and weight increase a noticable burden for shooting on the go/ with a lot of walking?

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
j-nord said:
I hope the brand new $6k body is better than the several year old $1.5k body :eek:

That said, its an interesting and relevent comparison. Any thoughts on going from crop to FF? Did you keep the same lenses or did you go longer with the switch? Is the size and weight increase a noticable burden for shooting on the go/ with a lot of walking?

Most of my lenses are already EF lenses. I only have two EF-S lenses. Since I'm still keeping one of my 7D2's as my B camera, I'm not going to sell any lenses. My walk around lens for the 1DX2 is the 16-35. The weight isn't a huge deal since my 7D2 had a grip and it's only a slight increase in weight.

I'll probably end up getting a 100-400 II, but I really want to get a 300 or 400 2.8 but that's big money, especially now I want to get a second 1DX2 (though money spent on the glass is probably a better investment)

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
kirispupis said:
The only thing I'm not crazy about is the size of the charger. I understand the battery size, but I would've been fine with charging just one battery at a time. Also, the cord is huge. This makes a difference when travelling.

Yeah the huge charger is a turnoff. It takes up so much room in my pelican case. I also do wish for a single charger but since canon is asking $400 for a replacement charger, I would imagine the hypothetical single charger would also cost an arm and a leg.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
kaptainkatsu said:
kirispupis said:

Yeah the huge charger is a turnoff. It takes up so much room in my pelican case. I also do wish for a single charger but since canon is asking $400 for a replacement charger, I would imagine the hypothetical single charger would also cost an arm and a leg.

One way of reducing battery charger mass and bulk is to lose the cable. Apple charger adapters are a perfect identical fit. Ditch the cord and put the Apple charger adapter straight into the charger. I bought 10 clones on eBay for just a few dollars each. Perfect!

-pw

Attachments

• Chargers.JPG
    Chargers.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 376
Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
pwp said:
kaptainkatsu said:
kirispupis said:

One way of reducing battery charger mass and bulk is to lose the cable. Apple charger adapters are a perfect identical fit. Ditch the cord and put the Apple charger adapter straight into the charger. I bought 10 clones on eBay for just a few dollars each. Perfect!

-pw

At first glance this seems brilliant. Thanks. I have one of those things around here somewhere. I'll have to give it a go.

Upvote 0
I just picked up a Lamborghini Huracan. While I loved my old Trans Am... It just didn't stand up to the performance of the Lambo.

On the down side... By Trans-Am had really cool graphics on the car and the rear view mirror had a lot more room to the dash... My fuzzy dice keep banging against the dash in the Lambo... Not to mention the better gas milage

Was a tough decision, but will keep the Lambo and get rid of my back up Yugo as well

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Thanks for the feedback, keep the impressions coming. Contemplating a similar move....got a 7D2 right now and to put it frankly, after years of anticipation it has, sadly, been a disappointment. So...now with a little extra $ I'm thinking of either replacing or complementing it with one of the new 1DXs.

Your stories will help me with my decision, thanks!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi PWP.
I have to say at first glance this looks like a bad idea, closer looking it looks even worse! Initially I thought these outlets were installed horizontally, like in a desk top or similar and would only actually save you the length of cord as the plug brick looks about the same size. Then I see from the way the spare plug brick is sitting the outlet appears to be wall mounted, this to me would suggest a rotational force on the pins well outside what I would be comfortable with, (and possibly outside of design parameters, but I'm only guessing on that) then add two 1 series batteries and I would be very concerned about the physics of the setup.
I wouldn't do this but each to their own. My preference is a couple of cheap figure 8 leads cut short enough that they just reach the floor from most outlets and both wired in to the same plug, similar bulk but without the stresses.

Quite honestly, when we travel we usually find that there are way too few wall outlets (sockets) so we pack a 4 or 6 way extension lead to plug all the gadgets into, much more bulky than all the charging bricks added up, until I add 2 LP-E6 chargers!
At home I use 2 custom length leads tucked away neatly, on the road I have 2 very short leads for use from the extension lead. I will add a pic later when I get home.

Cheers, Graham.

pwp said:

-pw

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
kaptainkatsu said:
j-nord said:

Most of my lenses are already EF lenses. I only have two EF-S lenses. Since I'm still keeping one of my 7D2's as my B camera, I'm not going to sell any lenses. My walk around lens for the 1DX2 is the 16-35. The weight isn't a huge deal since my 7D2 had a grip and it's only a slight increase in weight.

I'll probably end up getting a 100-400 II, but I really want to get a 300 or 400 2.8 but that's big money, especially now I want to get a second 1DX2 (though money spent on the glass is probably a better investment)

Are you a pro in need of a 2nd 1Dxii body?? If not, I can't fathom the desire to drop that kind of money on a 2nd pro body when there is glass you want/need.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

bdunbar79 said:
Honestly this shouldn't be a big surprise. Even the 1Dx is light years ahead of the 7D2 in terms of just about everything. The 1Dx2 is only going to widen that gap.

My thoughts exactly! Much as I like my 7D2 it simply does not stack up against my 1DX (mk1) in less than good condidtions.
I use my 7D2 as a travel camera and for walkabout with a lightweight lens like my 100-400 Mk2 - everything else it's the 1DX.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
johnf3f said:
bdunbar79 said:
Honestly this shouldn't be a big surprise. Even the 1Dx is light years ahead of the 7D2 in terms of just about everything. The 1Dx2 is only going to widen that gap.

My thoughts exactly! Much as I like my 7D2 it simply does not stack up against my 1DX (mk1) in less than good condidtions.

I'm a little curious. If the conditions are good, and apart from the frame rate, do you think the 7DII stack up fairly well against the 1DX?

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Valvebounce said:
Hi PWP.
I have to say at first glance this looks like a bad idea, closer looking it looks even worse!
Cheers, Graham.
pwp said:

-pw

Oh well never mind. It works for me. Maybe it depends on the physical setup of your studio charging station. Most people I've showed it to go straight out and buy a few Apple charger adapter clones from eBay.

With the heavier 1-Series twin charger, even with the weight of two batteries there is more than enough resistance/grip in the plug to hold the weight when hanging vertically from a wall socket.

Apologies for the diversion. This is a 7DII vs 1DX-II thread!

-pw

Upvote 0
Larsskv said:
johnf3f said:
bdunbar79 said:

I'm a little curious. If the conditions are good, and apart from the frame rate, do you think the 7DII stack up fairly well against the 1DX?

Not well at all. In April 2015 I ran the 1Dx vs. the 1D4 vs. the 7D2 in sports. Not even close. One other big problem was driving my 400 f/2.8 lens. The 1D's were superiorly faster and less draining on the battery. Plus the other obvious stuff.

Upvote 0