1DX new all-time low-light king?

Status
Not open for further replies.
simonxu11 said:
Check this out
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1129607/0

From that test, I cannot see 1 stop over 5d3, at most half a stop, maybe still not as good as D3s or D4

Yes, someone just pointed this out to me. I was about to post here that I'm no longer sure about the whole all-time SNR king stuff. Not sure what to say. One guy's test with the sunflowers showed an easy 1DX SNR advantage. Stan's test does not. Both tests seemed to be carried out well. Anyway it shows that using real world images and programs that process RAW introduce lots of variables. Not that you can use them for SNR, but the much sneered at 'fake' 'ridiculous' black frames for DR sure make things easy and results repeatable.

May as well just wait for DxO for the SNR results and we'll see whether the sunflower guy or stan's test tells the truth better. I almost wonder if it won't be closer to Stan's. The results from the other guy's files jsut seemed like such stunnigly, shockingly amazing news maybe they were too good to be true.

(EDIT: or maybe copy to copy variation?? http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8028.0
Along these lines I've noted that my 5D3 has a bit worse vertical banding at low ISO than some otehr copies :( OTOH it seems solid for high iso banding while Stan's copy seems to get more high iso banding than other copies I've seen. Maybe his 1DX is extra noisy? who knows)

SOmeone else tested DR at high iso and the 1DX definitely beats the 5D3 for that, at high iso, though. That test uses black frames so it should hold up well.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

LetTheRightLensIn said:
nightbreath said:
So who's the winner? I'm interested in a camera for street portrait photography. What would be the best thing to use to get great skin tones in Canon lineup? Does the 1Ds Mk III remain the best thing for this?

what ISOs would you be dealing with?
well lit, full sun street portraits or low light stuff?

iso50-200 is the win win zone for the 1DS3

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
nightbreath said:
So who's the winner? I'm interested in a camera for street portrait photography. What would be the best thing to use to get great skin tones in Canon lineup? Does the 1Ds Mk III remain the best thing for this?

what ISOs would you be dealing with?
well lit, full sun street portraits or low light stuff?

iso50-200 is the win win zone for the 1DS3

We mainly shoot weddings, but in our country it's completely different story. Here are some shots that represent our style:

RJzpr8wmT0I.jpg

zLQMsMowO0A.jpg

aiHuZD7u4tQ.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Now that "The Digital Picture has posted some trustworthy images, the picture is beginning to come out.
For me, the way to evaluate the high ISO is to try and read the fine print and see the fine detail. The higher resolution of the 1Ds MK III, the 5D MK II and 5D MK III give them a slight advantage. The 1D MK IV has a disadvantage at the 25600 level.
When looking at costs, my $1400 refurb 5D MK II looks pretty good. You pay a lot to get about 1/2 stop improvement. The 5D MK III is really close up to ISO 25600.
There is little doubt that the 1D X is better, but getting it just for high ISO use should be carefully thought thru.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
nightbreath said:
I've contacted a person that can compare 1Dx to 1Ds Mark III. What would be the best test scene to check performance of cameras in portrait photography?
I'd just view the comparison with the various cameras at the digital picture. Bryan is very knowledgable and has a setup to compare many different Canon cameras with each other.
The link is a couple of articles above.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
nightbreath said:
I've contacted a person that can compare 1Dx to 1Ds Mark III. What would be the best test scene to check performance of cameras in portrait photography?
I'd just view the comparison with the various cameras at the digital picture. Bryan is very knowledgable and has a setup to compare many different Canon cameras with each other.

I saw this, but it won't show me real-life possibilities that I can use. I'm interested in how far I can push image colors (change saturation, lightness, tones of specific color palettes) using each camera without blowing away the IQ.

I've posted couple of sample shots 4 articles above.

Upvote 0
nightbreath said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
nightbreath said:

I saw this, but it won't show me real-life possibilities that I can use. I'm interested in how far I can push image colors (change saturation, lightness, tones of specific color palettes) using each camera without blowing away the IQ.

what ISOs did you use shoot them at (EXIF is stripped) and did you raise the bright parts or darken the dark parts or was that done with reflectors?

(nice shots btw)

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
nightbreath said:

what ISOs did you use shoot them at (EXIF is stripped) and did you raise the bright parts or darken the dark parts or was that done with reflectors?

(nice shots btw)

ISO 100, pushing the dark or bright parts can be applied, but not by much. Having good image quality (well-lit saturated details all over the shot) is vital in our approach.

P.S. These are self-portraits :)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
nightbreath said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
nightbreath said:

(nice shots btw)

ISO 100, pushing the dark or bright parts can be applied, but not by much. Having good image quality (well-lit saturated details all over the shot) is vital in our approach.

I like your photos! Which lens?

Upvote 0
nightbreath said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
nightbreath said:

(nice shots btw)

If you really like to save highlights and pull shadows in large dynamic range ISO100 shots, honestly the D800 is best at that, next best is probably D3x and then finally the D4.

1Ds3 might be marginally better than 1DX but not sure the exact difference, probably not enough to really matter but it might have just a little less banding, and both should be a little bit better than the 5D3 in that regard. All should be a little bit better than the 7D since they have less banding (although 7D are variable you might have a very good copy).

If you can do enough with the 7D to satisfy your needs in terms of dynamic range then just go for one of the Canon FF (1Ds3 and 1DX with somewhat less banding than the 5D3). If you feel like you want to be able to push and pull at least 2-3 stops more then Nikon is unfortunately where it is at (http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html).

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
then just go for one of the Canon FF (1Ds3 and 1DX with somewhat less banding than the 5D3).

So we came to my initial question :) However the more I think about this the more I understand that 1Ds is not on par with possibilities of new cameras. How would you determine camera sensor performance? You said you have more banding than other 5D Mark III copies, so I assume you compared black frames shot with the same shutter speed? Then just push exposure to +4 stops?

sanj said:
I like your photos! Which lens?

Fast primes give excellent results :)

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Along these lines I've noted that my 5D3 has a bit worse vertical banding at low ISO than some otehr copies :(

It might happen that banding becomes more or less apparent from shot to shot, because of its volatility (also it can be affected by shooting conditions, I think). Did you compare several images or just one?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.