2022 is scheduled to ‘The Year of the Camera Body’ [CR3]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Just a small hint of a rumor of an R1 will have me excited.
But, a 1DX Mark IV which has expanded AF capabilities through the OVF (ie, larger area AF sensor, eye detect) would have me ecstatic!

IDX Mark IV would only need a stacked sensor to get me excited.
Exposure-only IBIS would also be a big plus.
Even if a 1Dx IV were to materialize, it is two years too early. Although I doubt we will ever see a Mark IV.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Just saw this review of R3 and wow, Canon might want a firmware update where they remove that eye directed focusing, yikes and maybe take $1000 off the price. No point charging for things that don't really work.

I have an R3 and the eye autofocus works perfectly.
The Northrups on the other hand ....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I can't imagine any R&D money being spent on EF camera development. That wouldn't help sell any RF lenses.
DSLRs comprise over 40% of the ILC market. Only Canon and Nikon make DSLRs, and Canon’s market share is somewhere over triple Nikon’s, so most of the DSLRs being sold are Canon.

So what you’re saying is that you can’t imagine Canon making any development investment what is probably ~30% of the total ILC market. Are you sure that makes sense?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have an R3 and the eye autofocus works perfectly.
Can you please share your settings and technique. I find the eye control autofocus helpful but would never say it is perfect. I’d love to learn what others are doing, especially as it relates to sports and action.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
On the contrary, one of the things that endeared me to the RP was that very "Goddam" battery. It meant when I bought it I would NOT have to buy a bunch of spare batteries, because I already have a few LP-E17s. That made it much more appealing as an (ultimately intended) backup camera. (Note: This was before I had my R5, before I had that I owned no LP-E6NHs or whatever the new one is called, and yes I bought a spare for that...which I'm happy to do for a non-backup camera.)
I've got a whole pile of LP-E6 series batteries for my R5, having used them for years in my DSLRs. To me it makes sense to have a single battery format that fits all of the cameras in Canon's DSLR and RF line up. But people worry too much about batteries - I can recharge my R5 directly via the same Samsung charger and USB cable that I use for my phone, either from the car, or a powerpack, or from any mains supply outlet on the planet. Might be worth checking if you can do this with your RP...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I've got a whole pile of LP-E6 series batteries for my R5, having used them for years in my DSLRs...
How well do the older LP-E6 batteries work? I've been stocking up on LP-E6 NH because of concerns about the performance of my older LP-E6 N batteries.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
How well do the older LP-E6 batteries work? I've been stocking up on LP-E6 NH because of concerns about the performance of my older LP-E6 N batteries.
The old LP-E6 batteries work absolutely fine in my R5. I haven't done a frame-count to test the difference between LP-E6 and LP-E6NH, but I can't say I've noticed any difference - I can make either last for a full day's shooting (up to 1000 shots), and some of my old LP-E6 batteries are 2-3 years old and have been recharged hundreds of times. The main difference I've noted is simply that the LP-E6NH batteries recharge noticeably faster.

I recently returned from a 9 day trip photographing butterflies in Kenya, using my R5 and EF 180mm macro throughout. I always fully recharge my batteries the night before. Some days I had an LP-E6 in the camera, other days an LP-E6NH. I always carry a spare, but I don't recall ever having to swap batteries part way through the day on this trip. Daily frame counts varied between 200-1000, with a total of 4500 shots taken over 9 days. Shutter mode was EFCS. I always shoot in short bursts, as I bracket my exposures. Everything on the camera is setup for minimum battery consumption, although it isn't in "ECO" mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This explains it https://camnostic.com/2021/02/powering-the-eos-r5/ The old LP-E6 N have the same capacity but won't deliver the same high speed performance in mechanical shutter for as long. Canon claims the NH have 14% more capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I've got a whole pile of LP-E6 series batteries for my R5, having used them for years in my DSLRs. To me it makes sense to have a single battery format that fits all of the cameras in Canon's DSLR and RF line up. But people worry too much about batteries - I can recharge my R5 directly via the same Samsung charger and USB cable that I use for my phone, either from the car, or a powerpack, or from any mains supply outlet on the planet. Might be worth checking if you can do this with your RP...

Really, no need. The charger works fine, and my spares are fully charged before I go anywhere I might need them. If I drain a battery I'm not going to use the camera as a charger while I'm walking around shooting on the next battery.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My canon charger from the 5d3 charges it to a green light. Various charger LED arrays vary I guess.
The Battery info. in the menu (Yellow submenu with the spanner icon) tells you the battery recharge performance by using green and red bars. 3 green bars when relatively new, dropping to 2 then 1 and finally red. My LP-E6 Ns are all red.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Can you please share your settings and technique. I find the eye control autofocus helpful but would never say it is perfect. I’d love to learn what others are doing, especially as it relates to sports and action.
I have an eos 30v film camera with their original "eye controlled" auto focus and I found using a large Hoodman eyecup made it work better because it held your eye in a more consistent position. Here's the eyecup on a digital camera975D8D15-3A2A-4A3C-BCBA-63B10873931D.jpeg
Canon make an accessory eyecup:

ER-hE Eyecup

This would possibly help with the R3 but oddly it's ridiculously oversize which would block access to the rear screen
1640636311521.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0