3 Lenses for Photokina, but...[CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Why are people so convinced that the 60mm macro will get an update with I/S?

If we only get three lenses, I hoping 60mm macro is NOT one of them. (Already have the 100mm). I suppose it might be an "easy" upgrade for Canon if it's an EF-S lens – Add IS and call it good. But, not sure of the demand.

Then again, I'm not sure why they needed four tilt-shift lenses either.

Can't really get too excited about any of the lenses that are surfacing in the rumors. Maybe good news for my checkbook, even if doesn't feed my addiction.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Why are people so convinced that the 60mm macro will get an update with I/S?

If we only get three lenses, I hoping 60mm macro is NOT one of them. (Already have the 100mm). I suppose it might be an "easy" upgrade for Canon if it's an EF-S lens – Add IS and call it good. But, not sure of the demand.

Then again, I'm not sure why they needed four tilt-shift lenses either.

Can't really get too excited about any of the lenses that are surfacing in the rumors. Maybe good news for my checkbook, even if doesn't feed my addiction.

I think a EF-S 60mm H-IS would be an attractive option for people who sticks to APS-C bodies. You'd be a lot better off with IS at the 100mm range (roughly 96mm with 1.6x bodies). The current 100mm becomes a 160mm, so the 100mm macro w/o IS might not make a good choice for entry model owners.

As for TS-E lens, they serve the niche market of architecture and landscape photography. While the general public may not see a need for these specialized primes, it makes life a lot easier for those who makes a living out of these fields (right now there's probably no competitor for the 17mm TSE).

Upvote 0
C

Canon 14-24

ronderick said:
As for TS-E lens, they serve the niche market of architecture and landscape photography. While the general public may not see a need for these specialized primes, it makes life a lot easier for those who makes a living out of these fields (right now there's probably no competitor for the 17mm TSE).

and tilting on the 90mm is excellent for taking shots of products

Upvote 0
M

muteteh

My 2 cents:

1. A new kit lens with a new body, say the 60D or 1Ds mk IV. Canon announced new bodies regularily, and has announced - on average over the last decade - one kit lens per year.

2. New TS-E 45mm & 90mm. Considering the TS-E 17mm & 24mm were announced 18 months ago, I think Canon would announce new TS-E 45mm & 90mm before the end of 2011.

3. Primes. I'll put my money on something like a new EF 180mm f/2 Macro H-IS USM, or EF 28mm f/1.4L USM.

Upvote 0
N

nzmargolies

muteteh said:
My 2 cents:

1. A new kit lens with a new body, say the 60D or 1Ds mk IV. Canon announced new bodies regularily, and has announced - on average over the last decade - one kit lens per year.

2. New TS-E 45mm & 90mm. Considering the TS-E 17mm & 24mm were announced 18 months ago, I think Canon would announce new TS-E 45mm & 90mm before the end of 2011.

3. Primes. I'll put my money on something like a new EF 180mm f/2 Macro H-IS USM, or EF 28mm f/1.4L USM.

i would love more primes, because i love my fast lenses, but those sound highly unlikely. the 180 will not get 1 2/3 stops faster all at once (though it would be awesome) and a 28 is too close to the 24. I hope the 24-105 goes to 2.8, or some zoom lens gets a constant f/2. my viewfinder is just too spoiled by f/1.4 to settle for an f/4 zoom, no matter how sharp it is.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Ha ha. F/4 zooms have their place, of course, but I am with you on the fast glass: fast AF, shallow dof, nice bokeh, bright viewfinder. Two limitations: 1) price (surmountable) 2) weight (sometimes surmountable)

nzmargolies said:
muteteh said:
My 2 cents:

i would love more primes, because i love my fast lenses, but those sound highly unlikely. the 180 will not get 1 2/3 stops faster all at once (though it would be awesome) and a 28 is too close to the 24. I hope the 24-105 goes to 2.8, or some zoom lens gets a constant f/2. my viewfinder is just too spoiled by f/1.4 to settle for an f/4 zoom, no matter how sharp it is.

Upvote 0
M

muteteh

nzmargolies said:
muteteh said:
My 2 cents:

i would love more primes, because i love my fast lenses, but those sound highly unlikely.

Actually, there's a rumor (the discussion was sent to the bodies forum) that the 35mm prime will get an upgrade, with an f/1.8 max aperture. This sounds surprising, but as I wrote before - I think it's about time Canon re-did it's cheaper 20mm-24mm-28mm-35mm primes with improved optics, f/1.8 aperture, and USM.

Upvote 0
S

Sebastian

muteteh said:

The 90mm TS isn't that bad, but a redo of the TS lenses is actually a good guess, IMHO.

muteteh said:

Forgot a ".8" here? The 200mm f/2 L IS USM is a rather huge lens, a 180mm f/2 wouldn't likely be much smaller. I think that'd be an awfully big macro lens...

Regards,

Sebastian

Upvote 0
I

idigi

nocojoe said:
I am excited to see the 35 1.8 and how it holds up. I hope it will be a good lens, something that I can put on my 5d classic and take some really cool lowlight pictures.
It may be coming... 35mm f/2 (imported) is "Temporarily unavailable" at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12119-GREY/Canon_2507A002_Wide_Angle_EF_35mm.html

35mm f/2 (USA) is "Temporarily out of stock":
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12119-USA/Canon_2507A002_Wide_Angle_EF_35mm.html

This lens has been unavailable for the past several days since I was watching it.

Amazon: Only 3 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-35mm-Wide-Angle-Cameras/dp/B00009XVCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282790751&sr=8-1

Adorama seems to have it in stock - no messages/warnings there.

Upvote 0
M

muteteh

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong>…. another soon after?

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">I’m told we can expect 3 new lenses to be shown off at the Canon EXPO and Photokina.</span></strong><strong> </strong>Canon lauched 3 lenses with the 7D last year, so it’s not unprecedented.</p>
<p>A 4th lens would be announced in the November/December timeframe with a “new camera body”.</p>
<p>Sadly, no confirmation on which lenses will arrive.</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

We just had four lenses announced (fishsye zoom, 70-300, 300, and 400), with two more announced to be shown at photokina (500 and 600).

Has the announcement been made earlier than expected, or can we expect a 5th lens to be announced at November / December ?

Upvote 0
Nobody has mentioned the stupidest thing about this lens. It's not the variable aperture. It's not the slow f/5.6 at the 300mm end of the range. And it's not the salty price.

It's the zoom ring out in FRONT of the focus ring, the opposite of any other lens in the Canon line (that I know of, correct me if I'm wrong). Imagine going back and forth between, say, a 24-105 f/4.0 and this lens. You'd go to zoom, but mess up your focus instead. That's the same deal breaker as on the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8.

Un-flippin'-believable.

Upvote 0
drummstikk said:
Nobody has mentioned the stupidest thing about this lens. It's not the variable aperture. It's not the slow f/5.6 at the 300mm end of the range. And it's not the salty price.

It's the zoom ring out in FRONT of the focus ring, the opposite of any other lens in the Canon line (that I know of, correct me if I'm wrong). Imagine going back and forth between, say, a 24-105 f/4.0 and this lens. You'd go to zoom, but mess up your focus instead. That's the same deal breaker as on the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8.

Un-flippin'-believable.

The EF-S 15-85 has the zoom up front
The EF-S 17-85 same
The EF 28-135 same
The EF 100-300 same

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.