40MP Canon that's not the 5D3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In today's post CR says Canon is planning a high MP DSLR in the 40 MP range that's NOT the 5D3. YESSSSS!!! (if true) That would mean the recent list of rumoured specs might be more less on the money. Just hope they add another stop or two of native ISO (12,800 or 51,200)...and I'll be placing an order.

Possibly having a 40MP Canon DSLR in the works should apease those Canonites who have been uneasy seeing the D800 with it's 36MP and not hearing any word about any high MP Canon in the horizon.

Now we wait for the end of this month. Will Canon announce the 5D3? Will it include "f/8 AF ability"?

D

D_Rochat

00Q said:
does this mean we are looking at an APS-C cropped sensor with 40mp on it? :-\

Doubt it. With the (rumoured) restructuring of the 5D line, they'll need a new FF studio monster. I've said it before and I know the APS-C crowd will smite me to oblivion, but it looks like that sensor might be bumped from the xD line leaving the xxD as the "flagship crop" camera. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
M

macfly

Well this is interesting news, the day after I've ordered my D800.

If I could order what I want and would use it would simply be a 1Ds MkIV with 45mp. My one disappointment with the Nikon is they are putting the highest resolution sensor in a pro-sumer body. This sounds funny, but I really like the build and quality of the EOS and the D3/4 cameras, and as a working pro that's what I want to be using, so it doesn't sit that well with me that I have to get a second rung camera to get the highest resolution.

I guess I'll still sell my EOS & 24-70, but incase this rumor is true I'll keep my 135 f2, as it is maybe the best single lens I've ever owned, and that way if this rumor turns out to be true, I'll still have a foot in the Canon door, but since the D800 is here and now, I'm going Nikon for a year at least.

Upvote 0
BDD said:
In today's post CR says Canon is planning a high MP DSLR in the 40 MP range that's NOT the 5D3. YESSSSS!!! (if true) That would mean the recent list of rumoured specs might be more less on the money. Just hope they add another stop or two of native ISO (12,800 or 51,200)...and I'll be placing an order.

Possibly having a 40MP Canon DSLR in the works should apease those Canonites who have been uneasy seeing the D800 with it's 36MP and not hearing any word about any high MP Canon in the horizon.

Now we wait for the end of this month. Will Canon announce the 5D3? Will it include "f/8 AF ability"?

The bad thing this might hint at is 18MP and tons of speed and AF or 40MP and terrible AF and zero speed. While something like the D800 gives you something a bit more all around. If you are very specialized the Canon approach may be nice but for the many who are very mixed in what they do I don't know. But we have to see, the CR rumors are all CR1 and I'm suspicious of their 5D3 spec talk so far. I would even be certain it's wrong other than it is a bit odd that there is no direct hint of a Canon announcement yet and one guy who has seen the 5D3 has said that some users with certain desires will need to prepare for some disappointment and that it may be more incremental rather than revolutionary change (what that all implies exactly it's hard to say).

I'd like to think they have a 30MP, 6fps without grip, better than 7D AF 5D3 ready though. They certainly have the tech to pull that off with ease.

of course for some a rugged 40MP monster is best, so it all depends of course

Upvote 0
BDD said:

ONLY 40MP?? damn, that'd be disappointing. I wanted to crop my 24mm to the equivalent of a 600mm lens. If Canon doesn't release a 57MP or higher by March I am switching to Vivitar!

Upvote 0
macfly said:
Astro, had it occurred to you that maybe Canon follow this board, and if there is no feedback from people who use and work with the 1Ds Mklll, then our needs will never be met?

See now I think this is a very good point. If nobody provides feedback here and the reaction to everything is that it is universally 100% perfect for everyone then why should we expect Canon to ever deliver?

This is not the place to play the perfect fan boy IMO. It is where everyone should be brutally honest about what their desires and needs for equipment are.

For all we know, some of the CR rumor specs are fed by Canon marketing to see how people will react. What groups like this or that? Or how much can we get away with leaving out before a firestorm? etc.

Upvote 0
K

Kobayashi

nigelc said:
"We"?...... I think you mean "I"

No, he means "we". As in a large group of people with interest in a particular setup.
But on-topic, i agree that it`s time that Canon should split de 5D line and provide something that caters to these two focus groups. The low-light monster, and the big megapixel crowd. Both of these groups have a lot of supporters and i think the time is right.

Upvote 0
G

Gothmoth

macfly said:
Astro, had it occurred to you that maybe Canon follow this board, and if there is no feedback from people who use and work with the 1Ds Mklll, then our needs will never be met?

well if that is the truth (what i doubt) that worked not well for your needs then in the past.... huh? :p

i would be very suprised if canon monitors rumor sites for future decision making.
companys have way better tools for that.

and what would/could they learn here?
that 50% are happy with 21MP and 50% want more megapixel?

that 80% of the 50% who want 36MP are not willing to pay 2300 $ for a lens that actualy resolves 36 MP? ;D

that 50% don´t care much about high ISO performance but faster AF and more FPS and the other 50% don´t care about AF or FPS but better high ISO performance? ;D

i would be shocked if canon based any decisions on a board like this....

Upvote 0
A

Astro

Gothmoth said:
i would be shocked if canon based any decisions on a board like this....

i just imagined what mercedes and other manufacturers would produce when they listen to online forums.

Smart-Fortw-TK.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-300TD-Limo-2.jpg

crazycarmod01.jpg

crazy-Car-Stereo.jpg

Upvote 0
BDD said:

IMO all these tips come misteriously after the D800 which means it is just a reaction from the crowd that is dissapointed. each and every time nikon shows anything, we see this site getting reports of the very same thing coming to canon....can't we figure what's going on?

When the D800 didn't exist, it was all tips and rumors about LOW mp bodies because that's what nikon was doing and that's what people wanted.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.