5.9K RAW video recording still a possibility for the EOS-1D X Mark III

I'd be surprised if it weren't one of the next 2 EOS R. The first may have an 83 megapixel sensor, dual cards and possibly ibis, the follow up a hybrid that take EF and RF natively. The new 1 DX iii supposedly allows you to keep the mirror up so sort of a hybrid. I just don't see Canon or other camera manufacturers spending a lot of development dollars on DSLR technology going forward.

Maybe but aren't DSLR's half of the camera market? Do you think they will just say nah someone else can have that?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think they're waiting to see what Nikon does, and will compete with the Nikon flagship as needed. If they offer 5.9k raw via external I'll buy 3. If they disable DPAF for 5.9k, this could be a great time to jump ship, despite all the waiting till this camera finally arrived.

Many bird and sports photographers don't care about 6k video, but photographers producing 4k video in their spare time do care a lot. As stills shooters we are addicted to being able to crop in post, and want the same ability for our serious but part time video work.

Canon missed the 4k video boat, always behind, always too late to be relevant, if they want to change they need to give us a camera for tomorrow, not a camera for yesterday.

Much of their current financial pain is because they were committed to being a follower, not a leader. Today is a good day to change. Tomorrow more stills shooters will be shooting video than ever before. Give us a camera for tomorrow!

Wasn't the 1dx2 the only full frame DSLR to shoot 4k 60 for several years? How did they miss the boat? I am all for pushing tech forward but lets not rewrite history.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think they're waiting to see what Nikon does, and will compete with the Nikon flagship as needed...

If they don't know what Nikon is going to do already, they need to fire their entire competitive intelligence staff.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The 100MP 1Dx you suggested sound like the 5Dv. It does not need to have a rugged body, high FPS, and it also don't need to have high ISO for you will use it with artificial lightening. The 1Dx is for action, so it has to have all those features.
No it does not sound at all! You ignore 5DsR and/or its successor in EF or RF mount is for that. The rest of 5D were general purpose cameras. Since when a general purpose camera can/will have 100Mp?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
That, and the storage required is pretty crazy. Then again, I suppose a 1D series camera isn't exactly the wedding photographer go to (though, I do know a couple who use a 1DXII and another with the similar D4).
Jeah, I think the 1DX II got for wedding PHOTOGRAPHERS a lot of pros and cons:
- very loud
- very heavy
- not that much resolution
+ nice viewfinder, good AF, good Lowlight
The cons overweight though in my opinion and I prefer my 5D IV or sony a7R IV

For Wedding VIDEOGRAPHERS its a whole other story in my opinion:
+ pretty much the only camera with nearly full-frame 4k 60fps which is realy great
+ incredible nicecolors out of camera, beautifull skintones even without any grading
+ very useful AF, especialy for working with a gimbal...
- ... which you need because you have no ibis
- quite heavy and quite big files
The Pros overweight in my opinion which makes it a great choice for wedding videographers.

The 1DX III will certainly be a beast in that area of work :) (If people are willing to work with the weight and filesizes)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Many bird and sports photographers don't care about 6k video, but photographers producing 4k video in their spare time do care a lot. As stills shooters we are addicted to being able to crop in post, and want the same ability for our serious but part time video work.

It also could be interesting for bird and sports guys - it gives you 30 frames per second (maybe even 60?) of 24mpixel raw files. That pretty impressive =)

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I think they're waiting to see what Nikon does, and will compete with the Nikon flagship as needed. If they offer 5.9k raw via external I'll buy 3. If they disable DPAF for 5.9k, this could be a great time to jump ship, despite all the waiting till this camera finally arrived.

Canon missed the 4k video boat, always behind, always too late to be relevant, if they want to change they need to give us a camera for tomorrow, not a camera for yesterday.

Much of their current financial pain is because they were committed to being a follower, not a leader. Today is a good day to change. Tomorrow more stills shooters will be shooting video than ever before. Give us a camera for tomorrow!
What do you mean canon missed the 4k boat? Pretty sure the 1dx2 has the best 4k available.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Maybe but aren't DSLR's half of the camera market? Do you think they will just say nah someone else can have that?
Sports Pros want OVF. Need OVF. Canon won't be stupid. The Nikon D6 is going to be over 24MP with in camera stabilization. Canon must be working day and night to try and catch up or better Nikon.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm really hoping the MP-e gets an update soon. MP-R, if you will. That would be a huge push for me to jump into the RF cameras.
Though, right now I really want that lowa probe macro. My friend rented one and let me play around with it for a bit. It's everything I thought it would be when I first saw the concept.

The Laowa 100mm and probe lens are on top of my wish list for next sprint. The 100mm would largely replace my MP-E, since I rarely go over 2x.
I'm curious what kind of features Canon would add to an MP-R compared to the old one, a modeling ring light would be the obvious thing. I am hesitant to switch, though, the CPL adapter gives me a polarizer for all the macro lenses without interfering with the MT24-EX heads. So it would need to be a big leap forward for me to buy it. Or I could win the lottery :)

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

The biggest question is how will this stack up against the D6. Will AF be far superior as it shoots stills? It will likely smoke the D6 as far as video focus as Sony has not caught up with anything as good as the DPAF on their sensors.
Will speed with the OVF still be king and include precise and rapid eye AF?
Will it have more MPs and a better DR than the D6?
It would just be nice to have the Canon flagship be demonstrably superior to any other pro camera on the market for the next 4 years or so.
IBIS should be thrown in as well. FF 4K is definitely required at the 24p favorite speed as well as some really good slow motion in 4K.
3-4 Processors? Why not if needed to up the game similar to what computers are doing with multiple cores.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Hate to burst your bubble. Better go read Nikon Rumors.
Wow! It seems that either both companies or the rumors sites laugh at us! It seems that even the D750 successor will stay at 24mpixels.

Now if Canon does the same with 5DMkV I am fine with it assuming they improve the already vastly improved DR and they boost a little high ISO performance and fps. I assume they will also add 4K with no crop which leaves me indifferent since I am a stills shooter.

I just hope they will keep CF and that they will just add UHS-II support for the SD card.

I can't think of anything else. Unless they want to include the booster circuit that 7DII has (that gives more voltage to the white lenses)

P.S Nice catch that piece of info from Nikon rumors.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
So the pros shooting 220mph MotoGP bikes at 20fps with EVFs on their Sonys are delusional? Get real.
Following a bike on a road or track is very basic stuff. It's not like game play. But yes most SONY shootes who think following an object no matter the speed on a set path is "sports" that needs an OVF would be delusional. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Following a bike on a road or track is very basic stuff. It's not like game play. But yes most SONY shootes who think following an object no matter the speed on a set path is "sports" that needs an OVF would be delusional. ;)
You need to shoot NASCAR races.... Turn left, turn left, repeat 200 times.....

very different from team sports where everyone is going in a different direction at the same time.....

please note that I am not making fun of Motorsport photographers, but this is a very different field than team sports. What works for one genre does not necessarily work for others. While a 1DX2 might be the best camera for some sports, a Sony might be better for others. The variations between sports are so great that the idea of one camera that is the best for all is laughable. BTW, the number one camera in motor sports just might be a GoPro :). Nobody is going to mount a 1DX2 with a 600F4 to their helmet :)

Upvote 0
The biggest question is how will this stack up against the D6. Will AF be far superior as it shoots stills? It will likely smoke the D6 as far as video focus as Sony has not caught up with anything as good as the DPAF on their sensors.
Will speed with the OVF still be king and include precise and rapid eye AF?
Will it have more MPs and a better DR than the D6?
It would just be nice to have the Canon flagship be demonstrably superior to any other pro camera on the market for the next 4 years or so.
IBIS should be thrown in as well. FF 4K is definitely required at the 24p favorite speed as well as some really good slow motion in 4K.
3-4 Processors? Why not if needed to up the game similar to what computers are doing with multiple cores.

I am always curious about this. Why does it have to be superior to the D6? What if it is the best camera you have ever owned but is not superior to the Nikon. I am beginning to think people are treating cameras similar to sports teams. They are rooting for one "their brand" to be the best for no apparent logical reason other than bragging rights. I really am perplexed. I want a 1dx3 for the upgrades I suspect it will offer over the mk2. I couldn't care less how it compares against Nikon or Sony as long as the specs are in line with my expectations. It seems I have lost touch.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
OVF.... for "really" fast-moving sports that moves in "crazy" directions. The type of sports you can't use a monopod, tripod, gimbal or the head of the photographer next to you. "Game Play" is handheld 400 or 300 2.8's swing'n for the trees like there is no tomorrow. No EVF in the WORLD is that good YET!!! Hey Canon..... Where is my 1DXMKIII with 30MP's at 15fps RAW?

I'm waiting!!!!!!

Upvote 0