5.9K RAW video recording still a possibility for the EOS-1D X Mark III

It also could be interesting for bird and sports guys - it gives you 30 frames per second (maybe even 60?) of 24mpixel raw files. That pretty impressive =)

Most sport photographers are, by contract, not allowed to take moving images, especially at important events. Even if they could, the file sizes would add up very quickly so the video side of the 1DX range does not help sport photographers. I shoot sport and video, but both are separate and not at the same event. While I have used the 4K mode for video, I do not use it much as there is little point for what I am trying to do and it just makes the whole process (downloading, editing, rendering, storage etc.) take longer.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I am always curious about this. Why does it have to be superior to the D6? What if it is the best camera you have ever owned but is not superior to the Nikon. I am beginning to think people are treating cameras similar to sports teams. They are rooting for one "their brand" to be the best for no apparent logical reason other than bragging rights. I really am perplexed. I want a 1dx3 for the upgrades I suspect it will offer over the mk2. I couldn't care less how it compares against Nikon or Sony as long as the specs are in line with my expectations. It seems I have lost touch.

It is called maintaining market share and yes it is a severe competition.
Ask Rambler, Packard and others what happens if it is not what is being asked for.
Yes, I absolutely agree most all of the junk and features thrown on are just that, junk.
But is is perception and that makes for sales and survival in the battle to stay in business.

Upvote 0

Russ6357

CR Pro
Dec 17, 2019
Hate to burst your bubble. Better go read Nikon Rumors.

If Canon indeed ship a 20MP DXIII and a 75MP 5DSR replacement (as the rumours seem to indicate) then I'm going to seriously consider jumping ship to Sony. Current A9II is 24 MP, they have a fabulous 400 2.8 and I've heard good things about the 600.

I'm tired of Canon not listening to it's (dwindling) mass of wildlife shooters...

....fingers crossed this doesn't happen

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It also could be interesting for bird and sports guys - it gives you 30 frames per second (maybe even 60?) of 24mpixel raw files. That pretty impressive =)
Yes, a 60 FPS burst as the batter swings at the ball or as the netkeeper blocks a kick.... giving you the moment of contact

Upvote 0
It is called maintaining market share and yes it is a severe competition.
Ask Rambler, Packard and others what happens if it is not what is being asked for.
Yes, I absolutely agree most all of the junk and features thrown on are just that, junk.
But is is perception and that makes for sales and survival in the battle to stay in business.

Can they not maintain market with a great 1dx3 which is not superior to the d6? Lets say the 1dx3 is 24mp, 18fps and has great auto focus. The d6 comes in at 26mp 20fps, and similar auto focus. Can had CPS, superb DPAF, great menu layouts with touchscreens, and "Canon colors". Why does Canon go the way of Packard? I am not convinced and I could be wrong that a great number of shooters are chasing brands and dumping all of their multi thousand dollar lens kits each time another body come out. There are a few I know, but I am not dumping my 4 camera bodies and 10 plus lenses just because Nikon has a few more mega pixels and .2 more stops of dynamic range.. Maybe I am the minority.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I am always curious about this. Why does it have to be superior to the D6? What if it is the best camera you have ever owned but is not superior to the Nikon. I am beginning to think people are treating cameras similar to sports teams. They are rooting for one "their brand" to be the best for no apparent logical reason other than bragging rights. I really am perplexed. I want a 1dx3 for the upgrades I suspect it will offer over the mk2. I couldn't care less how it compares against Nikon or Sony as long as the specs are in line with my expectations. It seems I have lost touch.
Traditionally the flagship Canon and Nikon models pretty much mirror one another. If one is "superior" to the other, it is only in things that an individual photographer may prefer. Most of the people buying these cameras are not brand switchers. Too much investment in equipment and in learning the particular quirks of each brand. It would take something really big to get Nikon users to switch to Canon or Canon users to switch to Nikon. (I've yet to meet any sports photographer who uses Sony, although I know some professional video creators who use Sony.)

You get a skewed perception from reading this forum, which is heavily weighted to tech enthusiasts with lots of disposable income. That group is more likely to go chasing specs than the average user of the top of the line Canon or Nikon.

I didn't believe the 20mp sensor rumor until Nikon Rumors reported that the new D6 will have 20 mp. I'm a little disappointed, because for my work (small college sports), I would have liked to have had a few more pixels to crop. But, I'm taking a wait and see attitude. I'm hoping this means that both Canon and Nikon will offer some big improvements in other areas that compensate for the lack of an increase in resolution. If I could shoot at 12800 and have it look like 6400, I'd happily take 20 mp, but I'm skeptical about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Can they not maintain market with a great 1dx3 which is not superior to the d6? Lets say the 1dx3 is 24mp, 18fps and has great auto focus. The d6 comes in at 26mp 20fps, and similar auto focus. Can had CPS, superb DPAF, great menu layouts with touchscreens, and "Canon colors". Why does Canon go the way of Packard? I am not convinced and I could be wrong that a great number of shooters are chasing brands and dumping all of their multi thousand dollar lens kits each time another body come out. There are a few I know, but I am not dumping my 4 camera bodies and 10 plus lenses just because Nikon has a few more mega pixels and .2 more stops of dynamic range.. Maybe I am the minority.

Precisely. The only point in recent memory where I remember pro sports photographers switching in large numbers is when the 1D Mark III had major autofocus issues due to submirror misalignment back in 2007.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Following a bike on a road or track is very basic stuff. It's not like game play. But yes most SONY shootes who think following an object no matter the speed on a set path is "sports" that needs an OVF would be delusional. ;)
Very true. As a wildlife shooter I would compare that to different types of birds. Following something like an Albatross would be the equivalent to following a car on a race track. Easy as. Following someone playing footy would be the equivalent of following a cheetah ducking and weaving. There is no sports equivalent to trying to track a swallow in flight however ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Hm I guess they use 1080p 60fps because there are not many cameras with 4k 60 (if its not a tiny sensor)
You assume people have the computer processing power to work with 4K footage and enough storage capacity for it. You also assume the clients have the ability to view 4K footage. Not everyone owns or wants a 4K TV yet. Don’t assume if cameras offered FF 4K 60, every videographer would start using it.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
I think they're waiting to see what Nikon does, and will compete with the Nikon flagship as needed. If they offer 5.9k raw via external I'll buy 3. If they disable DPAF for 5.9k, this could be a great time to jump ship, despite all the waiting till this camera finally arrived.

Many bird and sports photographers don't care about 6k video, but photographers producing 4k video in their spare time do care a lot. As stills shooters we are addicted to being able to crop in post, and want the same ability for our serious but part time video work.

Canon missed the 4k video boat, always behind, always too late to be relevant, if they want to change they need to give us a camera for tomorrow, not a camera for yesterday.

Much of their current financial pain is because they were committed to being a follower, not a leader. Today is a good day to change. Tomorrow more stills shooters will be shooting video than ever before. Give us a camera for tomorrow!
There are already people doing video fashion shoots, for example who shoot 4K video and then take high-res stills from the footage. I wonder if this could become more commonplace if cameras offer better video specs??

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
You assume people have the computer processing power to work with 4K footage and enough storage capacity for it. You also assume the clients have the ability to view 4K footage. Not everyone owns or wants a 4K TV yet. Don’t assume if cameras offered FF 4K 60, every videographer would start using it.
I think people who are in the market for a 6000$ camera are certainly able to work with 4k footage. Especialy since PC Power went way up in the last 5 years. Every decent configured 1000$ PC can easily handle 4k files. We are not talking about bit composed shots with lots of vfx. Its just a wedding documentary timeline.
I think, especialy wedding videographers (and photographers) should always try to offer the best they can. There shouldnt be a race to the bottom.
You are right about clients though, 1080p delivery is certainly enough (though 4k can be a selling word, since its a big buzzword). But 4k footage offers lots of benefits in Post like the ability to crop or stabilize way better. The export also looks better.

I think the biggest argument why people wont use the 1DX III that much for wedding videography is the weight. Carrying this on a gimbal for 12 hours could be VERY exhausting :-D (even if its still lightweight compared to a c200 which probably offers not that much quality. Wedding-Gimbal-Guys will probably still go for mirrorless Sonys or Fujis. Though I still think the 1DX III will be a great camera for this, if you aim for the highest quality)

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Dud someone say the 1DXMKIII will be 24MP???

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Most sport photographers are, by contract, not allowed to take moving images, especially at important events. Even if they could, the file sizes would add up very quickly so the video side of the 1DX range does not help sport photographers. I shoot sport and video, but both are separate and not at the same event. While I have used the 4K mode for video, I do not use it much as there is little point for what I am trying to do and it just makes the whole process (downloading, editing, rendering, storage etc.) take longer.
Not only are we not allowed without "expressed permission" but there are pages on how we are to interact with TV broadcast, league and team personnel shooting video and how not to interfere.

We don't shoot video and they don't shoot stills. It's two separate groups of professionals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Pixel count is something of a mystery at this point. Rumors of 20 and of 24 have emerged. Either of which could be wrong, given that the 5D4 has a very nice sensor with 30. I know file size is important too, as sports shooter tend to fire off a couple of thousand at a setting, and while the newest computers can handle big files and have huge storage options, not every entity is going to go out and update their hardware en masse to accommodate the latest pro camera.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Pixel count is something of a mystery at this point. Rumors of 20 and of 24 have emerged. Either of which could be wrong, given that the 5D4 has a very nice sensor with 30. I know file size is important too, as sports shooter tend to fire off a couple of thousand at a setting, and while the newest computers can handle big files and have huge storage options, not every entity is going to go out and update their hardware en masse to accommodate the latest pro camera.
Tom, you are spot on. Most people don't realize how many frames we get off per game. I've filled 2 to 3 256GB cards, Stating at practice, half-time, lockers and the game. I always have the cards for each shoot transferred to a 3 or 4 TB portable drive. The RAW files are then batched for JPEG thumbnails that are used for browsing. There is always enough room on the drive that you could create TIFF's of each file too. There is plenty of room to bump the files to 30MP each and we could use the same workflow and still use a 3 to 4 TB drive per day.

The primary reason we would love the extra MP's is for cropping.

I think many are biased. The video guys are yelling at "6K" I can punch out great frames.

So even those who don't shoot stills admit that we need more room to crop "at times". I think we've all wished we filled our frames at times. Never mind that when we do the extra MP's would be appreciated too.

As someone who shoots 1000's of frames a day, I welcome the bump to 24 or 30MP and it won't affect us in production or post.

Happy New Year

Upvote 0
Following a bike on a road or track is very basic stuff. It's not like game play. But yes most SONY shootes who think following an object no matter the speed on a set path is "sports" that needs an OVF would be delusional. ;)
Sounds like you haven't tried it. Try it out and let us know how it worked out for you.

Upvote 0