50mm f1.4 group photo

5D Freak

I reckon 1/80s, F2.8, Iso 800 - pic is over exposed by 1.5 steps - just my opinion. Looks like you have used spot metering on this one. For group shots, I would use a more overall metering. Just reduce the exposure - it is at night time anyway. If you shot RAW, you can pull it back in post. I find it very difficult to freeze action with people at everything over 1/60s. Background might be ok, but people move! Even renders image stabilizing ineffective!

Upvote 0

5D Freak

Totally agree with the previous post to. However, I find live view a bit cumbersome when dealing with people photos handheld. Live view on the fly is a technique to master for me. I just like to look through the viewfinder to aquire focus and framing - just so used to the centrepoint focus/recompose with the 5DII. Don't be afraid of taking multiple shots (up to 6 or 7 at 3fps for 5DII) as memory cards are cheap and you can pick the best frame. Apeture f9 is a way too closed apeture at iso12800. I would be targeting f2.0 to f2.8 for most stuff (lets more light in) at iso 1600 or less for printing. iso 6400/12800 is for facebook purposes only IMO. You were taking this pic from a long range, so you depth of field should cover focus on all subjects at f/2.8 or f/4.0 at worst - esp if all subjects lie close to the focus plane (multiple rows of people in a group shot may require f/5.6). All about trial and error. Different photographers have different styles and you will develop your own. Just have fun taking the picks and you will find what works for you!

Upvote 0
P

philsv77

I don't recommend using tripod to shoot portrait as it's too sssssslow to act and there is not much difference in sharpness. You may need it if you want to print anything > 24 x 36in. Otherwise, dont. With the right technique and practice, you will get a sharp photo without tripod.

With just ambient light as main light, you will have to use fast speed, ~1/100s for a non-moving subjects (general rule is 1/focal length as some already mentioned) for medium lens. If you shoot kids, forget it. YOu will need at least 1/200s.

With flash acting as main light, you can drag the shutter, meaning you can shoot as slow as 1/15s without getting blurry. See the following shot taken @1/20s, f/5.0, 800 ISO.

IMG_8372-900.jpg

Upvote 0