5D Mark III Corrupted RAW CR2 files in camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

niftyken

Out of a session of roughly 200 photos all taken with my 5D Mark III (firmware 1.1.3) within 20 minutes, one or two of the files are corrupted on the SD card. This has happened to me a few times now with my 5D Mark III while doing paid work, and I've only noticed it happen randomly when using SD cards. (i.e. I have never witnessed this happening when using my CF cards.) For example, this morning I had this issue while using my SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s (SDSDX-032G-X46). The card was freshly formatted in-camera just before the session. Upon review, I discovered that the 184th and 185th files were corrupted, which could be readily seen on the camera's LCD. I brought them into Lightroom 4.2 to be sure, and the same problem could be seen.

corrupted_files.png

When I tried to load up the most badly discolored image, Lightroom reported the following error:

LR_error.png

So far, I've been able to just ignore the problem, delete the image, and move on, but I'm afraid this is going to bite me badly one of these days, and I can't figure out what can be done to prevent the issue. I think when I first got the 5D Mark III, I also had a video get corrupted such that it looked fine during the recording, but on playback, the video could not be displayed even though there was still audio (and the resulting MOV file was still huge). But there were too many variables for that project, so it's probably not helpful to try to draw any correlations.

If anyone is interested in inspecting the actual corrupted CR2 files, they can be downloaded at:

http://www.kennethphotography.com/files/canon/IMG_6034.CR2
http://www.kennethphotography.com/files/canon/IMG_6035.CR2

Thanks for any thoughts. I'd love to learn tips for preventing the problem or repairing the CR2 files.

jrsforums said:
My best guess is that it is the card, not the camera.

The only way to find out is to put that card to the side an do not use it. The use a different card. If no problems, replace the rad. If new card has problem, you may have a timing problem in camera.

John

+1... as if this problem only occurs on your camera, then problem is caused by either. but it, in this case, also occurs in lightroom, i then suspect your card more than the camera.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.