5D mark v - when & what?

Jun 20, 2013
RGF said:
unfocused said:
RGF said:
The new Nikon 850 may put pressure on Canon to release the 5D M4 sooner....

I seriously doubt it. Neither 5D4 nor D850 buyers are first-time customers. The D850 is nice and will cause some envy among specification-centric Canon owners, but it won't have a real impact on sales. Canon probably has a little more room to lower the price of the 5D4, which would be the first strategy should they feel sales are being eroded. Camera development and production is on a pre-determined timetable anyway, so it's not like Canon can just magically revamp the 5D overnight. Finally, there is the 5DS series to compete with Nikon's higher megapixel count.

Not overnight, but they could shift priorities or add resources. Agree Canon will take a wait and see attitude but aside from sales there are "bragging" rights and I believe these are important to Canon. They don't like to be outdone by Nikon so they try to out position Nikon sooner than later.

people said the same thing when the D800/D810 came out.. didn't happen.

hard to shift priorities when these cameras takes years of development to make it to production and it's not the only camera they have going on in development at one time.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
rrcphoto said:
RGF said:
unfocused said:
RGF said:
The new Nikon 850 may put pressure on Canon to release the 5D M4 sooner....

I seriously doubt it. Neither 5D4 nor D850 buyers are first-time customers. The D850 is nice and will cause some envy among specification-centric Canon owners, but it won't have a real impact on sales. Canon probably has a little more room to lower the price of the 5D4, which would be the first strategy should they feel sales are being eroded. Camera development and production is on a pre-determined timetable anyway, so it's not like Canon can just magically revamp the 5D overnight. Finally, there is the 5DS series to compete with Nikon's higher megapixel count.

Not overnight, but they could shift priorities or add resources. Agree Canon will take a wait and see attitude but aside from sales there are "bragging" rights and I believe these are important to Canon. They don't like to be outdone by Nikon so they try to out position Nikon sooner than later.

people said the same thing when the D800/D810 came out.. didn't happen.

I have always seen the 5Ds/r as Canons response to the D800/810. It took some time, but Canon responded.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
SecureGSM said:
Larsskv said:
If you compare a APS-C CENTER crop of a FF frame that has the same pixel density as an APS-C camera, and all other factors are the same, you will get the exact same image on both. In this scenario you use the center sharpness of the lens on both the FF sensor and the APS-C sensor.

1. correct.
2. nope, same lens was used, approx. identical light levels, same ISO and aperture. No correction at all, RAW files were used for comparison. to call this fenomenon a surprise is an understatement. :)

.. My guess would be that the difference in sharpness between the 5DIV and 5Ds/r on pixel level is due to the sharpness of the lens you are using. Smaller pixels demand a sharper lenses in order to get pixel level sharpness.

If you have used the same lens on the 80D vs the 5Ds/r, have applied the same amount of sharpness afterwards, and still experience that the 80D is significantly sharper, well then I would be very surprised as well.

Has the lens been AFMA'd?

Upvote 0